Well, you know, no matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

SubjectAuthor
* The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsTechnobarbarian
`* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsbfh
 +- Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsGeorge.Anthony
 `* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsTechnobarbarian
  `* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsbfh
   `* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsTechnobarbarian
    `* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsbfh
     `* Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsfilm...@gmail.com
      `- Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirtsbfh

1
The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<83ecb567-1ed1-47f2-9439-fdd03b64c5edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18106&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18106

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:53:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 23:53 UTC

I forgot to mention the big advantage of the shirts I sponge dyed in layers. It's hard to see where I dropped food on myself.

TB

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<TrBFL.584651$8_id.59809@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18107&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18107

Subject: Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 19:38:11 -0500
 by: bfh - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:38 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> I forgot to mention the big advantage of the shirts I sponge dyed
> in layers. It's hard to see where I dropped food on myself.

I could use something like that for that same reason. Probably also
even make it hard to notice the outline of a gun in my waistband
amongst the hippie colors and food droppings.

--
bill

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<ts6p20$16roq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18109&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18109

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:55:29 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:55 UTC

On 2/10/2023 6:38 PM, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:
>> I forgot to mention the big advantage of the shirts I sponge dyed
>> in layers. It's hard to see where I dropped food on myself.
>
> I could use something like that for that same reason. Probably also even
> make it hard to notice the outline of a gun in my waistband amongst the
> hippie colors and food droppings.

I wear baggy shirts for that reason.
--
"I just saved a bunch of money on my insurance by switching to reverse
and leaving the scene."

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<b2b19d30-8d5c-493f-a797-f011cebe9c3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18111&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18111

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:13:48 -0800 (PST)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:13 UTC

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:38:14 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:
> > I forgot to mention the big advantage of the shirts I sponge dyed
> > in layers. It's hard to see where I dropped food on myself.
> I could use something like that for that same reason. Probably also
> even make it hard to notice the outline of a gun in my waistband
> amongst the hippie colors and food droppings.
>
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

One of my toys is a stencil cutter. I could easily make it look like I might be packing all sorts of heat. That might be a bit too insane, even for me. I dunno. Maybe use a big crucifix or a whole bunch of them to hide any funny business.

I don't know why you think anyone is limited to "hippy colors". Unless you're stuck in the past we are no longer in the era of Rit union dyes. Procion dyes are a whole new ballgame. I can buy or mix up just about any color you can imagine and get something far more colorfast than Rit ever imagined. Primary colors are so '60s.

TB

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<HwCFL.751320$vBI8.575001@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18113&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18113

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 20:51:34 -0500
 by: bfh - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:51 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:38:14 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:
>>> I forgot to mention the big advantage of the shirts I sponge
>>> dyed in layers. It's hard to see where I dropped food on
>>> myself.
>> I could use something like that for that same reason. Probably
>> also even make it hard to notice the outline of a gun in my
>> waistband amongst the hippie colors and food droppings.
>>
>> -- bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> One of my toys is a stencil cutter. I could easily make it look
> like I might be packing all sorts of heat. That might be a bit too
> insane, even for me. I dunno. Maybe use a big crucifix or a whole
> bunch of them to hide any funny business.
>
> I don't know why you think anyone is limited to "hippy colors".
> Unless you're stuck in the past we are no longer in the era of Rit
> union dyes. Procion dyes are a whole new ballgame. I can buy or mix
> up just about any color you can imagine and get something far more
> colorfast than Rit ever imagined. Primary colors are so '60s.

Look, so, like, let's see some pictures so that I can self-define my
own mind employing the calculus of my own preconceived metrics.

--
bill

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<b39260e6-7046-45f1-8ae4-e1b3c3cade3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18122&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18122

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:55:50 -0800 (PST)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 22:55 UTC

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 5:51:38 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:
> >> I could use something like that for that same reason. Probably
> >> also even make it hard to notice the outline of a gun in my
> >> waistband amongst the hippie colors and food droppings.
> >>
> >> -- bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> >
> > One of my toys is a stencil cutter. I could easily make it look
> > like I might be packing all sorts of heat. That might be a bit too
> > insane, even for me. I dunno. Maybe use a big crucifix or a whole
> > bunch of them to hide any funny business.
> >
> > I don't know why you think anyone is limited to "hippy colors".
> > Unless you're stuck in the past we are no longer in the era of Rit
> > union dyes. Procion dyes are a whole new ballgame. I can buy or mix
> > up just about any color you can imagine and get something far more
> > colorfast than Rit ever imagined. Primary colors are so '60s.
> Look, so, like, let's see some pictures so that I can self-define my
> own mind employing the calculus of my own preconceived metrics.
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

I think this link will get you to all 11 pictures I posted:

https://imgbox.com/images#/all/1

I didn't make the blue/green shirt that has some yellow in it. All the better to hide the mustard. That was my inspiration. I bought that shirt through Etsy over 3 years ago. I have been wearing it a lot. It's getting a bit worn and faded. It was made by a woman in FL who calls her business Magie's Farm. Eventually I'll break down and buy another shirt from her. She's very good at what she does.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MAGGIESFARMTIEDYE?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=728834833

Her shirt, my purple shirt and my bat shirt all started out as the same Port Authority white cotton shirt. Mine had been lightly worn work shirts back in the day. My blue/green shirt started out as a thrift store find. The tan shirt was probably war surplus from somewhere. There are a lot of that one on Ebay and I saw a government official in Africa on TV wearing that shirt. The dye sublimation process only works on man made fibers. I made the coffee cup using the same process and some historical pictures. The Native American ladies are Blind Kate Coos and Anna "Annie" Ditallo from around 1900. Anna was pictured on a post card labeled The Rock Oyster Queen. At that time it was uncommon to see Native Americans on the coast. Anna was probably married to a White man. You might not be able to see in in this picture, but she was wearing a nice pair of leather shoes. That picture was taken in Newport. The bridge on my shirt is the Yaquina bay bridge in Newport, which is an Oregon icon. The Hudson's Bay Company pretty much wiped out the Yaquina Indians before the homesteaders arrived.

TB

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<IqWFL.473750$gGD7.51520@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18123&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18123

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:30:31 -0500
 by: bfh - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:30 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 5:51:38 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

>>> One of my toys is a stencil cutter. I could easily make it
>>> look like I might be packing all sorts of heat. That might be a
>>> bit too insane, even for me. I dunno. Maybe use a big crucifix
>>> or a whole bunch of them to hide any funny business.
>>>
>>> I don't know why you think anyone is limited to "hippy
>>> colors". Unless you're stuck in the past we are no longer in
>>> the era of Rit union dyes. Procion dyes are a whole new
>>> ballgame. I can buy or mix up just about any color you can
>>> imagine and get something far more colorfast than Rit ever
>>> imagined. Primary colors are so '60s.
>> Look, so, like, let's see some pictures so that I can self-define
>> my own mind employing the calculus of my own preconceived
>> metrics. -- bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> I think this link will get you to all 11 pictures I posted:
>
> https://imgbox.com/images#/all/1

Looks like I need a login for that one.

> I didn't make the blue/green shirt that has some yellow in it. All
> the better to hide the mustard. That was my inspiration. I bought
> that shirt through Etsy over 3 years ago. I have been wearing it a
> lot. It's getting a bit worn and faded. It was made by a woman in
> FL who calls her business Magie's Farm. Eventually I'll break down
> and buy another shirt from her. She's very good at what she does.
>
> https://www.etsy.com/shop/MAGGIESFARMTIEDYE?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=728834833
>
> Her shirt, my purple shirt and my bat shirt all started out as the
> same Port Authority white cotton shirt. Mine had been lightly worn
> work shirts back in the day. My blue/green shirt started out as a
> thrift store find. The tan shirt was probably war surplus from
> somewhere. There are a lot of that one on Ebay and I saw a
> government official in Africa on TV wearing that shirt. The dye
> sublimation process only works on man made fibers. I made the
> coffee cup using the same process and some historical pictures. The
> Native American ladies are Blind Kate Coos and Anna "Annie" Ditallo
> from around 1900. Anna was pictured on a post card labeled The Rock
> Oyster Queen. At that time it was uncommon to see Native Americans
> on the coast. Anna was probably married to a White man. You might
> not be able to see in in this picture, but she was wearing a nice
> pair of leather shoes. That picture was taken in Newport. The
> bridge on my shirt is the Yaquina bay bridge in Newport, which is
> an Oregon icon. The Hudson's Bay Company pretty much wiped out the
> Yaquina Indians before the homesteaders arrived.

Those are a little bit flashy for me to wear in public. Maybe if they
used black, brown, olive, and tan for colors?

--
bill

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<ffc99860-db26-40c2-9aa6-2b759aff33d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18124&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18124

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:31:40 -0800 (PST)
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 03:31 UTC

On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 4:30:35 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:

> >> Look, so, like, let's see some pictures so that I can self-define
> >> my own mind employing the calculus of my own preconceived
> >> metrics. -- bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> >
> > I think this link will get you to all 11 pictures I posted:
> >
> > https://imgbox.com/images#/all/1
> Looks like I need a login for that one.
> > I didn't make the blue/green shirt that has some yellow in it. All
> > the better to hide the mustard. That was my inspiration. I bought
> > that shirt through Etsy over 3 years ago. I have been wearing it a
> > lot. It's getting a bit worn and faded. It was made by a woman in
> > FL who calls her business Magie's Farm. Eventually I'll break down
> > and buy another shirt from her. She's very good at what she does.
> >
> > https://www.etsy.com/shop/MAGGIESFARMTIEDYE?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=728834833
> >
> > Her shirt, my purple shirt and my bat shirt all started out as the
> > same Port Authority white cotton shirt. Mine had been lightly worn
> > work shirts back in the day. My blue/green shirt started out as a
> > thrift store find. The tan shirt was probably war surplus from
> > somewhere. There are a lot of that one on Ebay and I saw a
> > government official in Africa on TV wearing that shirt. The dye
> > sublimation process only works on man made fibers. I made the
> > coffee cup using the same process and some historical pictures. The
> > Native American ladies are Blind Kate Coos and Anna "Annie" Ditallo
> > from around 1900. Anna was pictured on a post card labeled The Rock
> > Oyster Queen. At that time it was uncommon to see Native Americans
> > on the coast. Anna was probably married to a White man. You might
> > not be able to see in in this picture, but she was wearing a nice
> > pair of leather shoes. That picture was taken in Newport. The
> > bridge on my shirt is the Yaquina bay bridge in Newport, which is
> > an Oregon icon. The Hudson's Bay Company pretty much wiped out the
> > Yaquina Indians before the homesteaders arrived.
> Those are a little bit flashy for me to wear in public. Maybe if they
> used black, brown, olive, and tan for colors?
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

An old Navy Vet pal used to swear, that "Battleship Grey" was his favorite color.... BTW, as a fashion critic, I notice you favor conservative those "pre-funeral colors", which is a smart choice for a geezer of your age, possibly fearing adverse attention for his personal attire?

One can also see how, that, "Eastman, GA. look", would be far, far, too "square", for a crab trapping, bon vivant, like TB, who rolls, with the aplomb of a traveling salesman, as he flits through life in his "glad rags"....

Mr. Blackwell Jr.

Re: The big advantage of sponge dyed shirts

<7hZFL.595129$8_id.513261@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18125&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18125

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 22:45:07 -0500
 by: bfh - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 03:45 UTC

film...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 4:30:35 PM UTC-8, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

>>> I think this link will get you to all 11 pictures I posted:
>>>
>>> https://imgbox.com/images#/all/1
>> Looks like I need a login for that one.
>>> I didn't make the blue/green shirt that has some yellow in it.
>>> All the better to hide the mustard. That was my inspiration. I
>>> bought that shirt through Etsy over 3 years ago. I have been
>>> wearing it a lot. It's getting a bit worn and faded. It was
>>> made by a woman in FL who calls her business Magie's Farm.
>>> Eventually I'll break down and buy another shirt from her.
>>> She's very good at what she does.
>>>
>>> https://www.etsy.com/shop/MAGGIESFARMTIEDYE?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=728834833

Her shirt, my purple shirt and my bat shirt all started out as the
>>> same Port Authority white cotton shirt. Mine had been lightly
>>> worn work shirts back in the day. My blue/green shirt started
>>> out as a thrift store find. The tan shirt was probably war
>>> surplus from somewhere. There are a lot of that one on Ebay and
>>> I saw a government official in Africa on TV wearing that shirt.
>>> The dye sublimation process only works on man made fibers. I
>>> made the coffee cup using the same process and some historical
>>> pictures. The Native American ladies are Blind Kate Coos and
>>> Anna "Annie" Ditallo from around 1900. Anna was pictured on a
>>> post card labeled The Rock Oyster Queen. At that time it was
>>> uncommon to see Native Americans on the coast. Anna was
>>> probably married to a White man. You might not be able to see
>>> in in this picture, but she was wearing a nice pair of leather
>>> shoes. That picture was taken in Newport. The bridge on my
>>> shirt is the Yaquina bay bridge in Newport, which is an Oregon
>>> icon. The Hudson's Bay Company pretty much wiped out the
>>> Yaquina Indians before the homesteaders arrived.
>> Those are a little bit flashy for me to wear in public. Maybe if
>> they used black, brown, olive, and tan for colors? -- bill Theory
>> don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> An old Navy Vet pal used to swear, that "Battleship Grey" was his
> favorite color.... BTW, as a fashion critic, I notice you favor
> conservative those "pre-funeral colors", which is a smart choice
> for a geezer of your age, possibly fearing adverse attention for
> his personal attire?

damright. I prefer my normal state to be Virtually Invisible. If, at
some transitory point in the passage of time, I should want to be
literally visible, I'll wave my arms and holler.