Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Rioja, Bdx, and more at Ibiza in Chappaqua
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 20:26 UTC

A nice group of 10 (some wine geeks, some not) gathered at Ibiza in Chappaqua last night. A great assortment of tapas and plates followed- uni spread, salmon with caramelized skin and cucumber, bacala croquettes, osters with mignonette, garlic shrimp,potatoes with brocollini, short ribs, oxtail rice, followed by a Napoleon and flan.

2005 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
You never hear the ‘05 discussed as it was between ‘04 and ‘06, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. Crisp, elegant, fruit forward with lemon pastry, apple,and a touch of vanilla. Quite delicious. A-

2009 Brokenwood Semillon
I served blind, initial guesses were Loire. Grapefruit, pit fruits, lemongrass good ripeness and acidity, 11% abv! Fun wine. B+

2008 Lopez de Heredia Gravonia Rioja Blanco
One person thought corked, I didn’t. Nuts, lemon, coconut, good acids but didn’t excite me as much as this bottling can, just seemed a bit flat despite acid. . B

2017 Hatzidakis No. 15 Assyrtiko (Santorini)
Great with the shrimp. Citrus, leesy, chalk and seashell. B+/B

1976 1976 Schloss Johannisberg Grunlack Riesling Spatlese
Honey, beeswax, citrus zest. Good balance, but didn’t sing for me , others liked MUCH more. B

1991 Muga Prado Enea Rioja
really enjoyed this. Midbodied but with long intense finish, perfumed with spice and candied orange on nose. On palate clean black plum fruit, earth, leather, and spice. A-

2003 Pichon Lalande (magnum)
Dean hid vintage, but had told me in advance, so I didn’t guess, but others were shocked at reveal. I thought quite good for 2003, with not serious roasted notes. It did have some Pichon Lalande green, but with redder fruits and a rather round texture. I think if I had been really blinded I would think St Emilion. B+/B

1998 Magdelaine
Mark served this blind, and I had no clue. Midweight, black plum and a touch of toffee, I was trying to figure out a CA Merlot than Mark might own. I liked, but of course liked more when revealed. :) B before reveal, B+ after. Ha!

Fun night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.