From: 3e2e6255...@example.com (Jess)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Morning Glories climbing power lines
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 03:02:37 +0000
 by: Jess - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 03:02 UTC

Yes, if the vine finds a way to complete a circuit it could start a fire. If the weed finds it’s way into a transformer it can cause more damage.

Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not, yanking the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!

Good luck.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden/morning-glories-climbing-power-lines-6411-.htm

Re: Morning Glories climbing power lines

<1simri-40f.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=182&group=rec.gardens#182

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 23:39:13 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 03:39 UTC

Jess wrote:
> Yes, if the vine finds a way to complete a circuit it could start a fire. If the weed finds it’s way into a transformer it can cause more damage.
>
> Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not, yanking the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!
>
> Good luck.

i agree, they are very hard to eradicate once they've spread.
years ago we let some grow and flower on the fences and in
another garden and while i stopped growing them and have kept
removing any new ones that sprout it is still coming up from
the seeds dropped many years ago.

songbird

Re: Morning Glories climbing power lines

<tcac0d$19vab$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=183&group=rec.gardens#183

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:17:41 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:17 UTC

On 8/1/2022 8:39 PM, songbird wrote:
> Jess wrote:
>> Yes, if the vine finds a way to complete a circuit it could start a fire. If the weed finds it’s way into a transformer it can cause more damage.
>>
>> Once morning glory gets established it turns from a pretty flower into a noxious weed. It’s nearly impossible to get rid of and will choke out anything in its path. Not only will it reseed itself, it’ll spread by the roots. Believe it or not, yanking the plant out will only make it spread faster via rhizomes. I strongly suggest round up, and lots of it. And for the love of god, please stop planting morning glories!
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> i agree, they are very hard to eradicate once they've spread.
> years ago we let some grow and flower on the fences and in
> another garden and while i stopped growing them and have kept
> removing any new ones that sprout it is still coming up from
> the seeds dropped many years ago.

I have been fighting them off since I bought my first house 50 years
ago. If they are anywhere near you, the birds drop the seeds everywhere.