There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish. -- Walt Disney

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] More scandals for Toronto police

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] More scandals for Toronto policeRhino2
+* Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto policeAdam H. Kerman
|`- Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto policeRhino2
`- Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto policebruce bowser

1
Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto police

<u23gn1$3rh5d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183218&group=rec.arts.tv#183218

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto police
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:52:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:52 UTC

Rhino2 <hughmunguscan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Toronto's police are not making a lot of friends with the public this
>week. First, a senior officer has been shown to have helped a
>lower-ranked officer cheat to get promoted. Second, two police officers
>are known to have stolen drugs from the evidence lockers but remain
>essentially unpunished.

>https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/04/22/toronto-cop-pleads-guilty-in-cheating-scandal-says-he-got-leg-up-from-senior-officer.html

>The senior officer in this story is the highest-ranking black woman in
>the Toronto police. The cop she helped is not depicted but, based on her
>remarks, I'd be willing to bet that he is black. She seems to be saying
>that helping him was necessary to achieve racial equity in the Toronto
>Police Service.

>https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-cop-overdose-station

>I am amazed at how cops that are known to have stolen drugs from the
>evidence lockers remain employed as police officers rather than
>inhabiting prison cells. Mind you, it's not clear if they are actually
>on duty or if they are living the high life (pun intended) on long-term
>suspensions. If they are on suspension but still getting paid, taxpayers
>have the dubious pleasure of paying for something they are definitely
>not getting.

Charges were dropped in one case that relied upon the evidence that was
stolen. But the second police officer admitted to having stolen
evidence over a year and a half. What happens to all the associated
cases, especially if there were convictions?

Re: [OT] More scandals for Toronto police

<46de4cec-7a53-45b6-bbbd-11a4b01e0e1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183219&group=rec.arts.tv#183219

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 07:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:54 UTC

There is a Hart to Hart episode called Homemade Murder [S2E13] about Toronto gangsters that take over their house in Los Angeles. It was so funny.

[OT] More scandals for Toronto police

<e8af48b8-6db0-4a50-acf1-78e94ad2d24bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183325&group=rec.arts.tv#183325

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 07:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OT] More scandals for Toronto police
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:26 UTC

[...]

<a0f78709-62dd-4779-82d8-45d55342dfcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=183357&group=rec.arts.tv#183357

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughmung...@gmail.com (Rhino2)
 by: Rhino2 - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:33 UTC

On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 10:52:22 AM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino2 <hughmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Toronto's police are not making a lot of friends with the public this
> >week. First, a senior officer has been shown to have helped a
> >lower-ranked officer cheat to get promoted. Second, two police officers
> >are known to have stolen drugs from the evidence lockers but remain
> >essentially unpunished.
>
> >https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/04/22/toronto-cop-pleads-guilty-in-cheating-scandal-says-he-got-leg-up-from-senior-officer.html
>
> >The senior officer in this story is the highest-ranking black woman in
> >the Toronto police. The cop she helped is not depicted but, based on her
> >remarks, I'd be willing to bet that he is black. She seems to be saying
> >that helping him was necessary to achieve racial equity in the Toronto
> >Police Service.
>
> >https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-cop-overdose-station
>
> >I am amazed at how cops that are known to have stolen drugs from the
> >evidence lockers remain employed as police officers rather than
> >inhabiting prison cells. Mind you, it's not clear if they are actually
> >on duty or if they are living the high life (pun intended) on long-term
> >suspensions. If they are on suspension but still getting paid, taxpayers
> >have the dubious pleasure of paying for something they are definitely
> >not getting.
> Charges were dropped in one case that relied upon the evidence that was
> stolen. But the second police officer admitted to having stolen
> evidence over a year and a half. What happens to all the associated
> cases, especially if there were convictions?

One would expect those cases all to be badly tainted and the convictions overturned if I was watching an American cop/lawyer show. I'd like to think the same would happen here in Canada but you'd think that would be stated in the article if it was likely to happen. Of course, that assumes a competence from the journalist that may well be highly unrealistic....

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] More scandals for Toronto police