From: 8bae463a...@example.com (Leont)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to damage roots
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:32:00 +0000
 by: Leont - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:32 UTC

> What are your thoughts? You can share without an account
I do same with fertilizers. Some time ago I used it with a newly planted and it was not effective at all

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden/do-not-fertilize-elderberry-for-the-first-year-so-as-not-to-3108717-.htm

Re: Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to damage roots

<td63ha$8qr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=187&group=rec.gardens#187

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Do not fertilize elderberry for the first year so as not to
damage roots
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:44:08 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:44 UTC

On 8/12/2022 8:32 AM, Leont wrote:
>> What are your thoughts? You can share without an account
> I do same with fertilizers. Some time ago I used it with a newly planted and it was not effective at all

For many plants in my climate, October is the prime month for planting.
Exceptions include subtropicals and plants that are obtained bare-root,
which are planted in the spring.

When planting, I put some bone meal or superphosphate in the bottom of
the planting hole and cover it with a little soil. I do that because
phosphorus does not readily dissolve and thus must be placed where roots
will find it. Phosphorus promotes flowering, fruiting, and root growth.

On the other hand, I do not use a nitrogen-containing fertilizer until
late spring after an autumn planting. For plantings at other times of
the year, I generally do not feed for a year. Nitrogen promotes
foliage, which places a demand for moisture from disturbed roots. The
plants need to develop a good root structure before using a fertilizer
that creates a stress on those roots. Yes, the result might be a plant
that "sulks" for a year; but it will be more healthy in the long term.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see