interests / alt.obituaries / Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

SubjectAuthor
* Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks,"Diner
+- Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in Louis Epstein
`* Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "TheThomas Joseph
 `* Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in Louis Epstein
  `* Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "TheThomas Joseph
   `* Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in Louis Epstein
    +- Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "TheThomas Joseph
    `- Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "TheThomas Joseph

1
Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<5966a057-00e7-4e93-b452-4e1619f6f9f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18784&group=alt.obituaries#18784

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:31:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks,"
"110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
From: bwayst...@gmail.com (Diner)
 by: Diner - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:31 UTC

Not to be confused, of course, with the Welsh singer who is still going strong at 83 (and whom I saw in concert a few months ago.)

Mr. Jones' passing, at age 95, is being reported on social media by a number of informed sources in the theatre world, including the former American Theatre Wing executive director Howard Sherman.

To quote Mr. Jones' most famous lyric:

"Try to remember the kind of September
When life was slow and oh, so mellow
Try to remember the kind of September
When grass was green and grain was yellow
Try to remember the kind of September
When you were a tender and callow fellow
Try to remember and if you remember
Then follow, follow"

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<ub8aeb$f3a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18785&group=alt.obituaries#18785

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:02:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:02 UTC

Diner <bwaystars@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to be confused, of course, with the Welsh singer who is still going strong at 83 (and whom I saw in concert a few months ago.)

Merely seeing the name in credits does invite that confusion...
> Mr. Jones' passing, at age 95, is being reported on social media by a number of informed sources in the theatre world, including the former American Theatre Wing executive director Howard Sherman.
>
> To quote Mr. Jones' most famous lyric:
>
> "Try to remember the kind of September
> When life was slow and oh, so mellow
> Try to remember the kind of September
> When grass was green and grain was yellow
> Try to remember the kind of September
> When you were a tender and callow fellow
> Try to remember and if you remember
> Then follow, follow"

The Fantasticks,of course,took a body blow from these lyrics
suddenly becoming uncomfortable in 2001.

-=-=-

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<be9f0c53-c000-404a-bd93-ea9c6d63cf45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18790&group=alt.obituaries#18790

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The
Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:04 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:31:53 AM UTC-4, Diner wrote:

> Not to be confused, of course, with the Welsh singer who is still going strong at 83 (and whom I saw in concert a few months ago.)

But the name got me. I'm nowhere near as fervently involved in
celebrity death wishing as I once was. But still, if I see a big name
go down it can stir me. I saw Tom Jones and thought right away
it was the singer. A slight, very slight, bit of disappointment followed
when I learned it was someone I had never heard of.

I don't get the papers anymore, but I used to get two per day
and go through them gently ripping out articles of interest
and the puzzles and some sports stuff as well. I would build
my own magazine. I would build the mag on the basis of what
I wanted to read first. It would go to the top of the pile to be
read later in a relaxed environment, like while eating for instance.

I saw the headline, "Carrey Dies", with a picture of the notable
wearing thick black glasses. I could have sworn it was Drew
Carey. I was thrilled. I put the article on the top of the pile.
When I sat down to eat I eagerly grabbed article #1, going
only a few words into it before realizing they were talking
about Harry Carrey, the Chicago baseball announcer - an old
geezer at the time, not young and spry like Drew. Man, what
a let down. But that was then. I have matured. Today I would
not let it get me down. I would adapt. That's because I am older
and more mellow in my own closeness to dying.

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<ub9ceh$sjg$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18793&group=alt.obituaries#18793

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 01:42:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 01:42 UTC

Thomas Joseph <jazeev1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:31:53?AM UTC-4, Diner wrote:
>

>> Not to be confused, of course, with the Welsh singer who is still going strong at 83 (and whom I saw in concert a few months ago.)
>
> But the name got me. I'm nowhere near as fervently involved in
> celebrity death wishing as I once was. But still, if I see a big name
> go down it can stir me. I saw Tom Jones and thought right away
> it was the singer. A slight, very slight, bit of disappointment followed
> when I learned it was someone I had never heard of.
>
> I don't get the papers anymore, but I used to get two per day
> and go through them gently ripping out articles of interest
> and the puzzles and some sports stuff as well. I would build
> my own magazine. I would build the mag on the basis of what
> I wanted to read first. It would go to the top of the pile to be
> read later in a relaxed environment, like while eating for instance.
>
> I saw the headline, "Carrey Dies", with a picture of the notable
> wearing thick black glasses. I could have sworn it was Drew
> Carey. I was thrilled. I put the article on the top of the pile.
> When I sat down to eat I eagerly grabbed article #1, going
> only a few words into it before realizing they were talking
> about Harry Carrey, the Chicago baseball announcer - an old
> geezer at the time, not young and spry like Drew. Man, what
> a let down. But that was then. I have matured. Today I would
> not let it get me down. I would adapt. That's because I am older
> and more mellow in my own closeness to dying.

Harry was Caray.
Drew is Carey.
Jim is Carrey.

-=-=-

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<a9a65349-bd6b-4b27-8ed5-8ee4fcacf60dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18801&group=alt.obituaries#18801

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 15:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:30 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 9:42:44 PM UTC-4, Louis Epstein wrote:
> Thomas Joseph <jazee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:31:53?AM UTC-4, Diner wrote:
> >

> >> Not to be confused, of course, with the Welsh singer who is still going strong at 83 (and whom I saw in concert a few months ago.)
> >
> > But the name got me. I'm nowhere near as fervently involved in
> > celebrity death wishing as I once was. But still, if I see a big name
> > go down it can stir me. I saw Tom Jones and thought right away
> > it was the singer. A slight, very slight, bit of disappointment followed
> > when I learned it was someone I had never heard of.
> >
> > I don't get the papers anymore, but I used to get two per day
> > and go through them gently ripping out articles of interest
> > and the puzzles and some sports stuff as well. I would build
> > my own magazine. I would build the mag on the basis of what
> > I wanted to read first. It would go to the top of the pile to be
> > read later in a relaxed environment, like while eating for instance.
> >
> > I saw the headline, "Carrey Dies", with a picture of the notable
> > wearing thick black glasses. I could have sworn it was Drew
> > Carey. I was thrilled. I put the article on the top of the pile.
> > When I sat down to eat I eagerly grabbed article #1, going
> > only a few words into it before realizing they were talking
> > about Harry Carrey, the Chicago baseball announcer - an old
> > geezer at the time, not young and spry like Drew. Man, what
> > a let down. But that was then. I have matured. Today I would
> > not let it get me down. I would adapt. That's because I am older
> > and more mellow in my own closeness to dying.
> Harry was Caray.
> Drew is Carey.
> Jim is Carrey.
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Yes, I knew they were all spelled differently but not exactly how,
nor did I care. Also, if I must make excuses for myself, when I
would go through the paper looking for interesting articles for
later reading I would always be careful not to read too closely
for fear of ruining the excitement later on. So I did not examine
the Caray article in any way. All I saw was that picture of a guy
wearing thick black glasses - the kind Drew wore - and I just sort
of wish/assumed that he was the one who had died. Yes, I am
and was aware that those 3 had differently spelled names. I
don't know everything. BUT I KNEW THAT. I knew it, I knew it,
I knew it. But thanks for the input anyway.

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<ubeks6$c6p$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18813&group=alt.obituaries#18813

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:37:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:37 UTC

Thomas Joseph <jazeev1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 9:42:44?PM UTC-4, Louis Epstein wrote:
>> Thomas Joseph <jazee...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > But the name got me. I'm nowhere near as fervently involved in
>> > celebrity death wishing as I once was. But still, if I see a big name
>> > go down it can stir me. I saw Tom Jones and thought right away
>> > it was the singer. A slight, very slight, bit of disappointment followed
>> > when I learned it was someone I had never heard of.
>> >
>> > I don't get the papers anymore, but I used to get two per day
>> > and go through them gently ripping out articles of interest
>> > and the puzzles and some sports stuff as well. I would build
>> > my own magazine. I would build the mag on the basis of what
>> > I wanted to read first. It would go to the top of the pile to be
>> > read later in a relaxed environment, like while eating for instance.
>> >
>> > I saw the headline, "Carrey Dies", with a picture of the notable
>> > wearing thick black glasses. I could have sworn it was Drew
>> > Carey. I was thrilled. I put the article on the top of the pile.
>> > When I sat down to eat I eagerly grabbed article #1, going
>> > only a few words into it before realizing they were talking
>> > about Harry Carrey, the Chicago baseball announcer - an old
>> > geezer at the time, not young and spry like Drew. Man, what
>> > a let down. But that was then. I have matured. Today I would
>> > not let it get me down. I would adapt. That's because I am older
>> > and more mellow in my own closeness to dying.
>> Harry was Caray.
>> Drew is Carey.
>> Jim is Carrey.
>

> Yes, I knew they were all spelled differently but not exactly how,
> nor did I care. Also, if I must make excuses for myself, when I
> would go through the paper looking for interesting articles for
> later reading I would always be careful not to read too closely
> for fear of ruining the excitement later on. So I did not examine
> the Caray article in any way. All I saw was that picture of a guy
> wearing thick black glasses - the kind Drew wore - and I just sort
> of wish/assumed that he was the one who had died. Yes, I am
> and was aware that those 3 had differently spelled names. I
> don't know everything. BUT I KNEW THAT. I knew it, I knew it,
> I knew it. But thanks for the input anyway.

Not sure how long you have been an alt.obits habitue,
but it seems established that you are the type to
never let an inconvenient fact get in the way of a good story,
while I am the type to
never let a good story charm its way out of an ultra-nitpicky fact check.

>> -=-=-
>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<a034201d-8fc6-45f8-bad2-c64d3b131ff5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18814&group=alt.obituaries#18814

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:47 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 9:37:13 PM UTC-4, Louis Epstein wrote:
> Thomas Joseph <jazee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Harry was Caray.
> >> Drew is Carey.
> >> Jim is Carrey.
> >

> > Yes, I knew they were all spelled differently but not exactly how,
> > nor did I care. Also, if I must make excuses for myself, when I
> > would go through the paper looking for interesting articles for
> > later reading I would always be careful not to read too closely
> > for fear of ruining the excitement later on. So I did not examine
> > the Caray article in any way. All I saw was that picture of a guy
> > wearing thick black glasses - the kind Drew wore - and I just sort
> > of wish/assumed that he was the one who had died. Yes, I am
> > and was aware that those 3 had differently spelled names. I
> > don't know everything. BUT I KNEW THAT. I knew it, I knew it,
> > I knew it. But thanks for the input anyway.

> Not sure how long you have been an alt.obits habitue,
> but it seems established that you are the type to
> never let an inconvenient fact get in the way of a good story,
> while I am the type to
> never let a good story charm its way out of an ultra-nitpicky fact check.

I can't dispute it, maybe I am viewed that way by you and others. Truth
is I do not embellish true stories, not even in the slightest. If the story
is fiction from the start I might go wild with it. Otherwise I tell the truth.
The truth is my bag.

I used to use the same cautious approach when buying used porn
magazines. I'd flip the pages slowly enough to tell if what's inside
is worthwhile, but not so slow that I see now what I want to see
later as a pleasant surprise. It's no different from the time I saw
the "Caray Dies" in the paper. I scanned the headline only. I saw
the pic. For some reason Caray was shown wearing thick black
glasses. This made me think or at least suspect it could be Drew.
So I put it to the top of my self-made magazine. I do not want to
go beyond scanning and skimming while seeking out things for
later perusal. I want to be surprised. I don't want to know the ending
before seeing the movie or reading the book. So in the process of
skimming it is certainly possible that certain 'facts' will elude me.
But I never do it on purpose. You don't have to believe me and I'm
sure you don't and never will, but it's true - I am a very honest person.
But I am not perfect and am thus capable of being mislabeled and
having my occasional unintentional miscues taken advantage of by
people such as yourself. Thanks for the post though, Ep. Always.
Well, almost always.

Re: Tom Jones, 95, lyricist/book writer for musicals "The Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"

<0de23dc9-8d5f-46c9-a20b-f6b07292505dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18815&group=alt.obituaries#18815

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 19:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
Fantasticks," "110 in the Shade," "I Do! I Do!"
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 02:10 UTC

Oh, one more thing Louis - about facts. Why must they always exist? This
isn't Dragnet and you'e not Joe Friday, so let's get off the "just the facts Ma'am"
routine. No really though, it's not just one, it's everyone on these newsgroups -
overly devoted to fact yet willing to debate them with others. Fact serves its
purpose but sometimes it goes too far. I am sick of facts all the time. Especially
facts that are cited by opposing debaters to suit their agenda. For example,
the capital punishment "issue", where the Bible is used by both sides with, for
example, "Thou shalt not kill" vs "An eye for an eye." Yes, it is mere text, in
a bible no less - but is viewed by many as fact. Facts suck. They get in the
way of the truth. Every so often I suppose it's good to know a few facts. But
overall they are treacherous and insidious and unnecessary except for those
using them for devious purpose. To hell with fact. I am a theory guy. An
intuitive scientist as well as a behavioral expert, yet I don't shove it down
anyone's throat because I don't have the facts to back me up. But even if
I did have the facts I wouldn't use them because, as I said, they are devious
and full of shit while I am most clearly am not.

Word up, homie!