Most of our lives are about proving something, either to ourselves or to someone else.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / C'mon man, it's not a joke.

SubjectAuthor
* C'mon man, it's not a joke.bfh
+* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.Technobarbarian
|`* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.bfh
| `* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.Technobarbarian
|  `* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.bfh
|   `* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.Technobarbarian
|    +* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.bfh
|    |`- Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.Technobarbarian
|    +* Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.film...@gmail.com
|    |`- Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.Technobarbarian
|    `- Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.sticks
`- Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.George.Anthony

1
C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<3vd4M.2685828$9sn9.1462151@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18860&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18860

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Subject: C'mon man, it's not a joke.
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 15:27:59 -0400
 by: bfh - Tue, 2 May 2023 19:27 UTC

Deputy Shoots Himself in Foot with Service Pistol, Mistaking it for a
Training Gun

According to county sources, one of the deputies holstered the
Airsoft-type pistol and then reholstered his service pistol. A short
time later, this deputy unholstered his service pistol and fired it,
mistaking it for the non-lethal Airsoft-type pistol, the sources said.
The bullet from the service pistol hit the deputy in the foot and
ricocheted around the dispatch center but did not harm anyone else.
https://www.usacarry.com/deputy-shoots-himself-foot-service-pistol/

--
bill

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<493c998d-3030-487a-a4cb-5eab3657be17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18861&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18861

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 13:51:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Tue, 2 May 2023 20:51 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 12:28:03 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> Deputy Shoots Himself in Foot with Service Pistol, Mistaking it for a
> Training Gun
>
> According to county sources, one of the deputies holstered the
> Airsoft-type pistol and then reholstered his service pistol. A short
> time later, this deputy unholstered his service pistol and fired it,
> mistaking it for the non-lethal Airsoft-type pistol, the sources said.
> The bullet from the service pistol hit the deputy in the foot and
> ricocheted around the dispatch center but did not harm anyone else.
> https://www.usacarry.com/deputy-shoots-himself-foot-service-pistol/
>
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

Someone must think it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like it would make a lot of sense if you kept the two different types of "pistols" in two very different places. Even with an airsoft pistol it doesn't make a lot of sense to fire it in a dispatch center. I hope he finds a job where he doesn't need any sort of pistol.

TB

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<Rxh4M.2688772$9sn9.2221321@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18862&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18862

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:04:00 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 3 May 2023 00:04 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 12:28:03 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
>> --------------------------------------------- Deputy Shoots
>> Himself in Foot with Service Pistol, Mistaking it for a Training
>> Gun
>>
>> According to county sources, one of the deputies holstered the
>> Airsoft-type pistol and then reholstered his service pistol. A
>> short time later, this deputy unholstered his service pistol and
>> fired it, mistaking it for the non-lethal Airsoft-type pistol,
>> the sources said. The bullet from the service pistol hit the
>> deputy in the foot and ricocheted around the dispatch center but
>> did not harm anyone else.
>> https://www.usacarry.com/deputy-shoots-himself-foot-service-pistol/

--
>> bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> Someone must think it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems
> like it would make a lot of sense if you kept the two different
> types of "pistols" in two very different places. Even with an
> airsoft pistol it doesn't make a lot of sense to fire it in a
> dispatch center. I hope he finds a job where he doesn't need any
> sort of pistol.

Me too - but I was alluding to the metaphor/meme "he shot himself in
the foot". And to try forestall certain uniquely possible attacks on
me for my pronoun choices, please feel free to substitute "they shot
themselves in the foot".

--
bill

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<1bde98b7-99c8-4d12-a3a2-ecf8c7ddc30dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18864&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18864

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 18:56:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 3 May 2023 01:56 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 5:04:04 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 12:28:03 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> >> --------------------------------------------- Deputy Shoots
> >> Himself in Foot with Service Pistol, Mistaking it for a Training
> >> Gun
> >>
> >> According to county sources, one of the deputies holstered the
> >> Airsoft-type pistol and then reholstered his service pistol. A
> >> short time later, this deputy unholstered his service pistol and
> >> fired it, mistaking it for the non-lethal Airsoft-type pistol,
> >> the sources said. The bullet from the service pistol hit the
> >> deputy in the foot and ricocheted around the dispatch center but
> >> did not harm anyone else.
> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >> https://www.usacarry.com/deputy-shoots-himself-foot-service-pistol/
> >>

> --
> >> bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> >
> > Someone must think it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems
> > like it would make a lot of sense if you kept the two different
> > types of "pistols" in two very different places. Even with an
> > airsoft pistol it doesn't make a lot of sense to fire it in a
> > dispatch center. I hope he finds a job where he doesn't need any
> > sort of pistol.
> Me too - but I was alluding to the metaphor/meme "he shot himself in
> the foot". And to try forestall certain uniquely possible attacks on
> me for my pronoun choices, please feel free to substitute "they shot
> themselves in the foot".
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

I'll bet he gets very tired of that joke. I knew a guy who claimed to have shot himself in the palm of his hand while he was holding his pistol with that hand. His fresh wound was obvious. Even his mildly retarded wife didn't think it was funny.

TB

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<NSj4M.2514456$iS99.616973@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18866&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18866

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:42:52 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 3 May 2023 02:42 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 5:04:04 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

--

>>> Someone must think it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but it
>>> seems like it would make a lot of sense if you kept the two
>>> different types of "pistols" in two very different places. Even
>>> with an airsoft pistol it doesn't make a lot of sense to fire
>>> it in a dispatch center. I hope he finds a job where he doesn't
>>> need any sort of pistol.
>> Me too - but I was alluding to the metaphor/meme "he shot himself
>> in the foot". And to try forestall certain uniquely possible
>> attacks on me for my pronoun choices, please feel free to
>> substitute "they shot themselves in the foot". -- bill Theory
>> don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> I'll bet he gets very tired of that joke. I knew a guy who claimed
> to have shot himself in the palm of his hand while he was holding
> his pistol with that hand. His fresh wound was obvious. Even his
> mildly retarded wife didn't think it was funny.

Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that was
done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really large hands
and one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h

--
bill

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<84e0d907-5382-4197-b300-e183b76085e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18867&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18867

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:34:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 3 May 2023 03:34 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 7:42:56 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:

> --

> >> Me too - but I was alluding to the metaphor/meme "he shot himself
> >> in the foot". And to try forestall certain uniquely possible
> >> attacks on me for my pronoun choices, please feel free to
> >> substitute "they shot themselves in the foot". -- bill Theory
> >> don't mean squat if it don't work.
> >
> > I'll bet he gets very tired of that joke. I knew a guy who claimed
> > to have shot himself in the palm of his hand while he was holding
> > his pistol with that hand. His fresh wound was obvious. Even his
> > mildly retarded wife didn't think it was funny.
> Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that was
> done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really large hands
> and one of these:
> https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just trying to move it quickly from one place to another.

TB

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<SKk4M.1701519$MVg8.536970@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18868&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18868

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 23:42:41 -0400
 by: bfh - Wed, 3 May 2023 03:42 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 7:42:56 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
>> Technobarbarian wrote:

--

>>> I'll bet he gets very tired of that joke. I knew a guy who
>>> claimed to have shot himself in the palm of his hand while he
>>> was holding his pistol with that hand. His fresh wound was
>>> obvious. Even his mildly retarded wife didn't think it was
>>> funny.
>> Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that
>> was done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really
>> large hands and one of these: https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h --
>> bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
>
> I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the
> gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his
> car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just
> trying to move it quickly from one place to another.

Probably had just gotten pulled over by a cop with an airsoft.

--
bill

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<5b2eab1d-9cc8-4b89-9766-f0bd4a912bb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18869&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18869

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: filmby...@gmail.com (film...@gmail.com)
 by: film...@gmail.com - Wed, 3 May 2023 03:45 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 8:34:33 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 7:42:56 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> > Technobarbarian wrote:

> > --

> > > I'll bet he gets very tired of that joke. I knew a guy who claimed
> > > to have shot himself in the palm of his hand while he was holding
> > > his pistol with that hand. His fresh wound was obvious. Even his
> > > mildly retarded wife didn't think it was funny.
> > Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that was
> > done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really large hands
> > and one of these:
> > https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h
> > --
> > bill
> > Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just trying to move it quickly from one place to another.
>
> TB

I knew a guy who shot the end of his finger off with a .38, just because he said that it seemed like a cool thing to do at the time.... He later claimed it was temporary insanity, as he revealed the story of why one of his fingers was "stubby"..... HawHawHaw!

The Sin Eater Jr.

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<434ed2ac-1390-4041-98c6-50f4f9330bfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18870&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18870

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 3 May 2023 05:27 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 8:45:04 PM UTC-7, film...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 8:34:33 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:

> > > --

> > > Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that was
> > > done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really large hands
> > > and one of these:
> > > https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h
> > > --
> > > bill
> > > Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> > I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just trying to move it quickly from one place to another.
> >
> > TB
> I knew a guy who shot the end of his finger off with a .38, just because he said that it seemed like a cool thing to do at the time.... He later claimed it was temporary insanity, as he revealed the story of why one of his fingers was "stubby"..... HawHawHaw!
>
> The Sin Eater Jr.

My grandfather lost the end of a finger in an industrial accident. I worked for a guy who had lost the the end of one finger. This was surprising because he had become a salesman as a way to avoid real work. He said he had looked at real work and decided it wasn't for him. I don't remember what he said happened. He was a very good salesman. I wouldn't have completely believed him no matter what he said. His brother gave him a hard time about his finger--until he lost the end of the same finger by getting it caught under the top of a big diesel engine. They were all considered reasonably sane. I believe in temporary insanity. Our brains are very complex things. It's amazing that they work as well as they do.

TB

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<44b6b326-d724-425e-b6ed-7b0406027ce9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18871&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18871

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Wed, 3 May 2023 05:33 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 8:44:07 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:

> --

> >> Try as I might, I can't conjure up a mental picture of how that
> >> was done. He must be anatomically unusual - or just has really
> >> large hands and one of these: https://tinyurl.com/42f8wx3h --
> >> bill Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.
> >
> > I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the
> > gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his
> > car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just
> > trying to move it quickly from one place to another.
> Probably had just gotten pulled over by a cop with an airsoft.
> --
> bill
> Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

I think that was, more or less, what he was afraid *might* happen. Even in AZ that might not be a good thing.

I probably should add that he was parked in an official rest area. And, as far as I know, probably sober.

TB

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<u2tlqp$19maf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18872&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18872

From: ganth...@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 12:59:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:86bfP1YzSxHLOgnSPUkXG1nh4Z4=
 by: George.Anthony - Wed, 3 May 2023 12:59 UTC

bfh <redydog@rye.net> wrote:
> Deputy Shoots Himself in Foot with Service Pistol, Mistaking it for a
> Training Gun
>
> According to county sources, one of the deputies holstered the
> Airsoft-type pistol and then reholstered his service pistol. A short
> time later, this deputy unholstered his service pistol and fired it,
> mistaking it for the non-lethal Airsoft-type pistol, the sources said.
> The bullet from the service pistol hit the deputy in the foot and
> ricocheted around the dispatch center but did not harm anyone else.
> https://www.usacarry.com/deputy-shoots-himself-foot-service-pistol/

Barney Fife?

--
Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views
are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

Re: C'mon man, it's not a joke.

<u2ttf2$1ao8n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18876&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#18876

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 10:09:23 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 3 May 2023 15:09 UTC

On 5/2/2023 10:34 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> I know. He was holding the barrel with in his right hand with the gun pointed at the palm of his hand while he was sitting in his car. He said he had caught the trigger on something. He was just trying to move it quickly from one place to another.

Reminds me of one of my favorite passages from Tolstoy in Anna Karenina
where Vrosnky is speaking to his SIL while recovering from a
self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. He appealed to her to please
help him so others would not think it was an intentional act, though
everyone knew it was. She replied that she would but added, "I hope you
won’t shoot yourself by accident any more."