From: joh...@not.my.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: old man exercises
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:27:40 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 3 May 2022 01:27 UTC

so about to get the road king ready for the
better weather trips... and I notice that the bike
seems to be in better shape than me.
sigh

so i've been doing a few sit ups while in bed
some deep-ish knee bends. some minor stretching.
walking more ect.

is there a routine you folks use to get back in
relative riding shape without exacerbating arthritis
or other problem hip knee shoulder joints ?

john

Re: old man exercises

<t4q4f9$mbf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=189&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#189

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: old man exercises
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:36:25 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 3 May 2022 02:36 UTC

On 5/2/2022 8:27 PM, john wrote:
> so about to get the road king ready for the
> better weather trips... and I notice that the bike
> seems to be in better shape than me.
> sigh
>
> so i've been doing a few sit ups while in bed
> some deep-ish knee bends. some minor stretching.
> walking more ect.
>
> is there a routine you folks use to get back in
> relative riding shape without exacerbating arthritis
> or other problem hip knee shoulder joints ?
>
> john

Cut split and stack about 5-6 cords of firewood . The longest ride
will seem like a walk in the park ...
Since you didn't buy a round I will .
SHIRLEY !!
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: old man exercises

<t4rbho$snb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=190&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#190

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:42:24 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 3 May 2022 13:42 UTC

On 5/2/2022 10:36 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/2/2022 8:27 PM, john wrote:
>> so about to get the road king ready for the
>> better weather trips... and I notice that the bike
>> seems to be in better shape than me.
>> sigh
>>
>> so i've been doing a few sit ups while in bed
>> some deep-ish knee bends. some minor stretching.
>> walking more ect.
>>
>> is there a routine you folks use to get back in
>> relative riding shape without exacerbating arthritis
>> or other problem hip knee shoulder joints ?
>>
>> john
>
>   Cut split and stack about 5-6 cords of firewood . The longest ride
> will seem like a walk in the park ...
>   Since you didn't buy a round I will .
> SHIRLEY !!

did 2 cords this winter, took me a few days to feel normal.
couldn't imagine 5-6 cords... raising a pint your direction

john

Re: old man exercises

<t4rda2$ddo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=191&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#191

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:13:22 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 3 May 2022 14:13 UTC

On 5/3/2022 8:42 AM, john wrote:
> On 5/2/2022 10:36 PM, Snag wrote:
>> On 5/2/2022 8:27 PM, john wrote:
>>> so about to get the road king ready for the
>>> better weather trips... and I notice that the bike
>>> seems to be in better shape than me.
>>> sigh
>>>
>>> so i've been doing a few sit ups while in bed
>>> some deep-ish knee bends. some minor stretching.
>>> walking more ect.
>>>
>>> is there a routine you folks use to get back in
>>> relative riding shape without exacerbating arthritis
>>> or other problem hip knee shoulder joints ?
>>>
>>> john
>>
>>    Cut split and stack about 5-6 cords of firewood . The longest ride
>> will seem like a walk in the park ...
>>    Since you didn't buy a round I will .
>> SHIRLEY !!
>
> did 2 cords this winter, took me a few days to feel normal.
> couldn't imagine 5-6 cords... raising a pint your direction
>
> john

I try to spread it out over the whole year . Got a neighbor who had
several trees blown down recently , as soon as it dries out enough to
get in there I'll be harvesting some of that . We heat with wood ...
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: old man exercises

<t4ru6j$2po$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#192

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:00:43 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:00 UTC

On 5/3/2022 10:13 AM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/3/2022 8:42 AM, john wrote:

>>>    Cut split and stack about 5-6 cords of firewood . The longest ride
>>> will seem like a walk in the park ...
>>>    Since you didn't buy a round I will .
>>> SHIRLEY !!
>>
>> did 2 cords this winter, took me a few days to feel normal.
>> couldn't imagine 5-6 cords... raising a pint your direction
>>
>> john
>
>   I try to spread it out over the whole year . Got a neighbor who had
> several trees blown down recently , as soon as it dries out enough to
> get in there I'll be harvesting some of that . We heat with wood ...

i use geothermal, or gas or wood heat depending on which is
cheapest/easiest at the time. I usually go with geo
unless it's really cold, then wood wins. gas is a nice
backup plan. Here it's still too wet to take the tractor into
the woods, maybe next month.

took the bike out last night 50° F, so comfortable with
jeans & jacket, not looking forward to >80° days
john

Re: old man exercises

<t87e5n$1bdt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=229&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#229

From: frankthe...@earthlink.net (Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:33:28 -0500
 by: Frank Xzarhadjizamth - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:33 UTC

On 5/2/2022 8:27 PM, john wrote:
> so about to get the road king ready for the
> better weather trips... and I notice that the bike
> seems to be in better shape than me.
> sigh
>
> so i've been doing a few sit ups while in bed
> some deep-ish knee bends. some minor stretching.
> walking more ect.
>
> is there a routine you folks use to get back in
> relative riding shape without exacerbating arthritis
> or other problem hip knee shoulder joints ?
>
> john

I was told by my doctor (the one who fixed my back) that sit-ups can be
detrimental to your lower back, especially to us "seasoned citizens." He
suggested leg lifts. Doesn't use your back, and it strengthens the abdomen.

He also told me to stretch regularly. Lay on your back and draw one knee
up to your chest for 20-30 seconds, repeat with the other knee. Then,
with both knees bent and your feet on the floor/bed, let them drop off
to one side and hold for a while. Then repeat the other way.

Last thing I do is the "runner's stretch" for the calves, and a similar
stretch for the Achille's tendon.
https://pivotalmotion.physio/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/calf-stretches-300x257.png

Once those are done, go have a drink. This round is on me.