Scenery is here, wish you were beautiful.

interests / rec.gardens / Ripening a Big Squash

SubjectAuthor
* Ripening a Big SquashHome Owner
+- Re: Ripening a Big SquashBob F
`- Re: Ripening a Big SquashDavid E. Ross

1
Ripening a Big Squash

<3721b093-5bda-4f7f-bdce-af66ee7712f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rec.gardens#192

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ripening a Big Squash
From: eastman5...@gmail.com (Home Owner)
 by: Home Owner - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 21:18 UTC

In June I planted some seed for Butternut squash, variety Argonaut. They're supposed to get really big but I didn't expect that much out of it. But buried in the vines and chile plants I have three fruits, one of which might be 15 pounds. The other two are pushing ten each.

I've had some problems with squirrels this season and want to bring these big guys in but they're still mostly green with a little orange beginning to show. I think they're supposed to be all orange. Can anyone tell me how to cheat on this? I've been misting them with water and dusting with cayenne pepper but I just know those bushy rats going to open them up if I leave them outside.

thx.

Re: Ripening a Big Squash

<thd0ad$1risf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rec.gardens#193

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Ripening a Big Squash
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:37:31 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 21:37 UTC

On 10/2/2022 2:18 PM, Home Owner wrote:
> In June I planted some seed for Butternut squash, variety Argonaut. They're supposed to get really big but I didn't expect that much out of it. But buried in the vines and chile plants I have three fruits, one of which might be 15 pounds. The other two are pushing ten each.
>
> I've had some problems with squirrels this season and want to bring these big guys in but they're still mostly green with a little orange beginning to show. I think they're supposed to be all orange. Can anyone tell me how to cheat on this? I've been misting them with water and dusting with cayenne pepper but I just know those bushy rats going to open them up if I leave them outside.
>
> thx.

Our butternuts become tan on the outside when ripe.

Re: Ripening a Big Squash

<thdiha$11bg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rec.gardens#194

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:48:09 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 02:48 UTC

On 10/2/2022 2:18 PM, Home Owner wrote:
> In June I planted some seed for Butternut squash, variety Argonaut. They're supposed to get really big but I didn't expect that much out of it. But buried in the vines and chile plants I have three fruits, one of which might be 15 pounds. The other two are pushing ten each.
>
> I've had some problems with squirrels this season and want to bring these big guys in but they're still mostly green with a little orange beginning to show. I think they're supposed to be all orange. Can anyone tell me how to cheat on this? I've been misting them with water and dusting with cayenne pepper but I just know those bushy rats going to open them up if I leave them outside.
>
> thx.

Try scattering some blood meal around the plants. Squirrels will not go
where they smell blood. Furthermore, blood meal is a great mild
fertilizer.

Just be careful to get a bag and not a box. Blood meal is a very fine
powder and will often leak out of a box.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see