From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Archbishop Capucci, 94
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:42:00 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:42 UTC

[VOA]

Archbishop Capucci, Deported in '70s From Israel, Dies

Monsignor Hilarion Capucci, who was an archbishop in Jerusalem when Israel
convicted him in 1976 of using his diplomatic status to smuggle arms to
Palestinian militants in the occupied West Bank, has died. He was 94.

The Vatican on Monday confirmed reports the Capucci had died in Rome, but
provided no details, including when.

A native of Aleppo, Syria, the Greek-Melkite priest had a history of
activism linked to the Palestinian and other Middle East conflicts.

After he served two years in an Israeli prison for the conviction, he was
released due to Vatican intervention and deported.

He was 86 in 2009 when he was aboard an aid ship bound for the Gaza Strip
that Israel intercepted.

In 2000, Capucci led an anti-sanctions delegation to Iraq.
======
https://www.voanews.com/a/archbishop-capucci-deported-seventies-israel-dies/3659784.html

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Archbishop Capucci, 94

<uefo57$34arn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19206&group=alt.obituaries#19206

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Archbishop Capucci, 94
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:28:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:28 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>[VOA]

>Archbishop Capucci, Deported in '70s From Israel, Dies

>Monsignor Hilarion Capucci, who was an archbishop in Jerusalem when Israel
>convicted him in 1976 of using his diplomatic status to smuggle arms to
>Palestinian militants in the occupied West Bank, has died. He was 94.

jawdrop

I think he missed a couple of classes in both theology school and
foreign policy school.

I know that the diplomatic pouch isn't subject to customs inspection but
we're talking about a diplomatic pouch the size of several containers.
That's going to raise red flags.

>. . .

Re: Archbishop Capucci, 94

<uefpfr$69v$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19207&group=alt.obituaries#19207

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:50:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:50 UTC

In <uefo57$34arn$1@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

[snip]

>I know that the diplomatic pouch isn't subject to customs inspection but
>we're talking about a diplomatic pouch the size of several containers.
>That's going to raise red flags.

One of our colleagues over at panix worked alongside
many of these groups, and periodically points out that
a "diplomatic pouch" can be, yes, several containers,
or trucks... (I don't think he mentione an air craft
carrier...)

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Archbishop Capucci, 94

<200920231833553326%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19208&group=alt.obituaries#19208

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:33:55 -0400
 by: A Friend - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:33 UTC

In article <uefo57$34arn$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> >[VOA]
>
> >Archbishop Capucci, Deported in '70s From Israel, Dies
>
> >Monsignor Hilarion Capucci, who was an archbishop in Jerusalem when Israel
> >convicted him in 1976 of using his diplomatic status to smuggle arms to
> >Palestinian militants in the occupied West Bank, has died. He was 94.
>
> jawdrop
>
> I think he missed a couple of classes in both theology school and
> foreign policy school.
>
> I know that the diplomatic pouch isn't subject to customs inspection but
> we're talking about a diplomatic pouch the size of several containers.
> That's going to raise red flags.

I think it did.