Subject: Re: Allan Asherman, 76, DC Comics/Star Trek historian/authority
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:23:09 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:23 UTC

In article <02c7c2d4-c506-42d8-8975-d903c02cbdcfn@googlegroups.com>,
That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com> wrote:

> During all this time, he continued to attend science fiction and comics
> conventions, seeking out memorabilia from the shows he loved. His basement
> apartment in Brooklyn was beginning to become an East Coast version of the
> famed Ackermansion. That is, until a freak rain storm flooded his apartment,
> ruining countless objects, including one of George Reeves’ Superman uniforms.

I remember a lot of criticism directed Allan's way for this. He could
have sold part of his collection in order to pay for protecting the
rest of it (especially against flooding), but he simply refused to do
so.

I think it's a thinly disguised Allan who shows up in Jerry Pournelle's
novel Inferno as a soul condemned to hell because he hadn't sold part
of his collection to pay for protecting the rest of it, etc.