From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: dog days
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:25:16 -0500
 by: super70s - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:25 UTC

I've given up putting seed and suet out the past few weeks, the usual
suspects don't come around much. Guess they find plenty of food out
there somewhere.

Not so with the hummers -- I have two tube feeders hanging at the edge
of my carport and I have to refill at least one of them once a day!

Re: dog days

<ua475o$2ms7e$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rec.birds#192

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: dog days
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 19:25:39 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:25 UTC

On 7/29/2023 6:25 PM, super70s wrote:
> I've given up putting seed and suet out the past few weeks, the usual
> suspects don't come around much. Guess they find plenty of food out
> there somewhere.
>
> Not so with the hummers -- I have two tube feeders hanging at the edge
> of my carport and I have to refill at least one of them once a day!

The hummingbirds are always thirsty and I keep the saucer feeder filled.
:) They engage in arial battles over it. Sometimes they hover in front
of me at the window. Yes? Hello!

I don't fill the seed feeder in the summer but always keep the bird bath
filled with water. That attracts a lot of birds to come around for a
drink and to splash around. Cardinals, chickadees, tufted titmice,
purple and red and house finches, the occasional mourning doves.
Sometimes I see a bird I don't recognise but it's always fun to see them
enjoying a dip in the water. :)

Jill

Re: dog days

<ua9pfs$3i6um$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rec.birds#193

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 21:09:01 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 02:09 UTC

On 2023-07-29 23:25:39 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 7/29/2023 6:25 PM, super70s wrote:
>> I've given up putting seed and suet out the past few weeks, the usual
>> suspects don't come around much. Guess they find plenty of food out
>> there somewhere.
>>
>> Not so with the hummers -- I have two tube feeders hanging at the edge
>> of my carport and I have to refill at least one of them once a day!
>
> The hummingbirds are always thirsty and I keep the saucer feeder
> filled. :) They engage in arial battles over it. Sometimes they hover
> in front of me at the window. Yes? Hello!

Yeah they seem to be fearless not only of each other but even humans.
Sometimes I'll be standing close to one of the feeders and one will
buzz up within a foot of my head, as if to "shoo" me away, lol.