Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence. -- Henrik Tikkanen

interests / alt.obituaries / Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

SubjectAuthor
* Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90J.D. Baldwin
+* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90radioacti...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Louis Epstein
| `- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Tommie Hicks
+* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90A Friend
| +* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Adam H. Kerman
| |+* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90radioacti...@gmail.com
| ||`- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90mikespo@live.com
| |`* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90A Friend
| | +* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90radioacti...@gmail.com
| | |`- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90radioacti...@gmail.com
| | `* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Louis Epstein
| |  `- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90A Friend
| +* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Louis Epstein
| |`- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90J.D. Baldwin
|  `- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Louis Epstein
`* Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90David Carson
 `- Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90Louis Epstein

1
Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf6i7i$b31$4@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19341&group=alt.obituaries#19341

From: INVALID_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:08:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:08 UTC

Reported by various sources.
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<f3427613-81cd-4285-bd16-48c23da91ce2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19342&group=alt.obituaries#19342

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:50 UTC

I'm guessing the sentimentalists who hold sway in our society these days will push over the next day or so to have her casket placed under the U.S. Capitol dome--citing longest-serving current Senator, first California XX-chromosome Senator, etc. John McCain's corpse got that honored treatment, though he hardly warranted what (at least in the modern era) should be reserved for late Presidents.

A MUCH more appropriate venue would be to have DiFi laid out in San Francisco City Hall. That's the edifice in which she catapulted into the national consciousness after her shocking press conference on Monday, November 27, 1978, when she announced in a City Hall hallway crammed elbow-to-elbow with Bay Area reporters the stunning news that resigned-Supervisor Dan White had earlier that day assassinated Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor (and gay movement icon) Harvey Milk* in their offices.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================* Surely the most famous twin assassinations since that of Franz-Joseph and Sophie at the hand of Serbian student Gavrilo Princip on Sunday, June 28, 1914 in the future Winter Olympics city of Sarajevo.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf6n1m$akep$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19344&group=alt.obituaries#19344

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:30:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:30 UTC

J.D. Baldwin <news@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:

>Reported by various sources.

Here's the AP's obituary.

https://apnews.com/article/dianne-feinstein-dead-c831f3228ac44faa9653234570bb8ce9

Everybody knew she was not healthy enough to serve out the six-year
Senate term despite running for re-election in 2018. Nevertheless, she
was the leading votegetter in the first round. The second leading
votegetter had the party's endorsement and support from leading
Democrats in California. But when the two faced each other in the final
round of voting, Feinstein won the election.

I really don't know the history of this but California doesn't have
party primary elections for statewide offices and members of Congress.
Instead, it has a "top-two" primary, a variation on a nonpartisan
primary. Under Proposition 14 (2010), in the first round of voting, each
candidate is listed by party label (of the party the candidate is
registered in). Everybody runs against each other. Even if one candidate
receives a majority, the top two still advance to the second and final
round of voting. California has a presidential primary and primaries for
state and local offices as well as nonpartisan offices to which
Proposition 14 does not apply.

Despite her advanced age and less than ideal health, she retained enough
popular support to win in 2018.

There's going to be a short-term appointment and then a special election
for the remainder of the term. Candidates will run for the full six year
term in 2024.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<290920231147020629%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19346&group=alt.obituaries#19346

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:47:02 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

In article <uf6n1m$akep$2@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> J.D. Baldwin <news@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:
>
> >Reported by various sources.
>
> Here's the AP's obituary.
>

> https://apnews.com/article/dianne-feinstein-dead-c831f3228ac44faa9653234570bb8
> ce9
>
> Everybody knew she was not healthy enough to serve out the six-year
> Senate term despite running for re-election in 2018. Nevertheless, she
> was the leading votegetter in the first round. The second leading
> votegetter had the party's endorsement and support from leading
> Democrats in California. But when the two faced each other in the final
> round of voting, Feinstein won the election.
>
> I really don't know the history of this but California doesn't have
> party primary elections for statewide offices and members of Congress.
> Instead, it has a "top-two" primary, a variation on a nonpartisan
> primary. Under Proposition 14 (2010), in the first round of voting, each
> candidate is listed by party label (of the party the candidate is
> registered in). Everybody runs against each other. Even if one candidate
> receives a majority, the top two still advance to the second and final
> round of voting. California has a presidential primary and primaries for
> state and local offices as well as nonpartisan offices to which
> Proposition 14 does not apply.
>
> Despite her advanced age and less than ideal health, she retained enough
> popular support to win in 2018.
>
> There's going to be a short-term appointment and then a special election
> for the remainder of the term. Candidates will run for the full six year
> term in 2024.

What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year anyway.
Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be done with
it.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<jltdhip5n638so1vsr0uhdl6c6au2e0so8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19347&group=alt.obituaries#19347

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:09:37 -0500
 by: David Carson - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:09 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:08:02 -0000 (UTC),
INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>Reported by various sources.

*Now* will she step down?

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf6uql$c1lt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19348&group=alt.obituaries#19348

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:43:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:43 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>>There's going to be a short-term appointment and then a special election
>>for the remainder of the term. Candidates will run for the full six year
>>term in 2024.

>What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year anyway.
>Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be done with
>it.

There was a federal court decision a number of years ago that requires
special elections for Senate vacancies, if there's enough time. The
House has always required special elections to fill a vacancy and those
are just two year terms.

There's more than a year plus three months remaining in the term. The
governor's appointment will not be allowed to finish out the term
without an intervening special election.

My state used to fill Senate vacancies if the vacancy occurred early
enough with respect to the election cycle in the even-numbered year. I
think if the primary had passed but not the general election, there
would have been a special primary. If the term would have been
re-elected at the next general election and it's beyond the previous
general election, then the governor's appointment would have served till
the end of the term.

I assume that was common in other states. I never heard of a state that
allowed the governor's appointment to complete the term if there were
intervening even numbered year elections.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<20c08aa3-746b-418e-a9fd-90d1209e3654n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19349&group=alt.obituaries#19349

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:51 UTC

Excellent and comprehensive-yet-succinct analysis there, Adam; invoking Smokey Robinson's signature lyric, I second that emotion.

STYBLE/Florida

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<290920231257120080%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19350&group=alt.obituaries#19350

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:57:12 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:57 UTC

In article <uf6uql$c1lt$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
> >Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> >>. . .
>
> >>There's going to be a short-term appointment and then a special election
> >>for the remainder of the term. Candidates will run for the full six year
> >>term in 2024.
>
> >What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year anyway.
> >Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be done with
> >it.
>
> There was a federal court decision a number of years ago that requires
> special elections for Senate vacancies, if there's enough time. The
> House has always required special elections to fill a vacancy and those
> are just two year terms.
>
> There's more than a year plus three months remaining in the term. The
> governor's appointment will not be allowed to finish out the term
> without an intervening special election.
>
> My state used to fill Senate vacancies if the vacancy occurred early
> enough with respect to the election cycle in the even-numbered year. I
> think if the primary had passed but not the general election, there
> would have been a special primary. If the term would have been
> re-elected at the next general election and it's beyond the previous
> general election, then the governor's appointment would have served till
> the end of the term.
>
> I assume that was common in other states. I never heard of a state that
> allowed the governor's appointment to complete the term if there were
> intervening even numbered year elections.

After Bobby Kennedy was murdered in 1968, NY Governor Nelson
Rockefeller appointed liberal Republican Charles Goodell (the father of
the current-day sports commissioner) to fill out his term. The next
election was in 1970. Goodell lost in a three-way race to James
Buckley, brother of William F., which was the outcome the GOP wanted
because it didn't want liberal Goodell, and the Democrat was a
sniveling north-of-the-city toad who still lived with his mother. Jim
Buckley turned out to be the first Republican senator to call for
Nixon's resignation.

Goodell's campaign was so inept that it programmed a half-hour
"interview" with the candidate for a Sunday night shortly before the
election. The program pre-empted Lassie. Goodell even apologized for
that at the end of the "interview."

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<11a01504-6c50-4c98-9a0b-b42f0044d6ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19352&group=alt.obituaries#19352

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 18:30 UTC

Thanks for that, AF!

Of course I knew that James Buckley got into the federal Senate via a three-way race way back when, but had no idea the appointed short-term Senator he smoked was the father of the current NFL commish.

Now, it won't diminish my contempt for Roger Goodell in the least--he has CONSISTENTLY besmirched the office from which the late Pete Rozell (by a country-mile the greatest league chief yet in ANY sport, in my view) worked so tirelessly to evolve the NFL into the sterling sport that it remains* to this season.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================* My ONLY criticism of St. Rozell is that he never introduced and used his enormous, well-earned clout with the owners to push through an iron-clad ban on puerile end-zone dancing/prancing/tomfoolery, punished by a 25-yard penalty on the ensuing first-play-from-scrimmage for the offending clown(s). Actually, a 35-yard penalty would even be more effective at stemming this cancerous blot on what otherwise is a terrific sporting spectacle.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<560627ae-6977-466e-98d0-ea1f15c91b92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19355&group=alt.obituaries#19355

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:09:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:09 UTC

ADDENDUM:

Actually, that ugly and burgeoning NFL showboating trend is no longer confined to end zones; nowadays, these giant-sized immature children prance around (or merely strike an intimidating, arms-folded pose) after making a routine TACKLE...clearly ignorant of the wisdom of what perhaps was Bear Bryant's greatest statement of his storied career, scolding one of his players who had just returned to his sideline after scoring, "Next time, Son, act like you've been in the end zone before."

STYBLE/Florida

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf7np5$smo$3@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19367&group=alt.obituaries#19367

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:48:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:48 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <uf6n1m$akep$2@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> J.D. Baldwin <news@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Reported by various sources.
>>
>> Here's the AP's obituary.
>>

>> https://apnews.com/article/dianne-feinstein-dead-c831f3228ac44faa9653234570bb8
>> ce9
>>
>> Everybody knew she was not healthy enough to serve out the six-year
>> Senate term despite running for re-election in 2018. Nevertheless, she
>> was the leading votegetter in the first round. The second leading
>> votegetter had the party's endorsement and support from leading
>> Democrats in California. But when the two faced each other in the final
>> round of voting, Feinstein won the election.
>>
>> I really don't know the history of this but California doesn't have
>> party primary elections for statewide offices and members of Congress.
>> Instead, it has a "top-two" primary, a variation on a nonpartisan
>> primary. Under Proposition 14 (2010), in the first round of voting, each
>> candidate is listed by party label (of the party the candidate is
>> registered in). Everybody runs against each other. Even if one candidate
>> receives a majority, the top two still advance to the second and final
>> round of voting. California has a presidential primary and primaries for
>> state and local offices as well as nonpartisan offices to which
>> Proposition 14 does not apply.
>>
>> Despite her advanced age and less than ideal health, she retained enough
>> popular support to win in 2018.
>>
>> There's going to be a short-term appointment and then a special election
>> for the remainder of the term. Candidates will run for the full six year
>> term in 2024.
>

> What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year anyway.
> Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be done with
> it.

Different states have different rules for when there's a special election.
Either it's X number of days after vacancy,
next annual general election after vacancy,
or next even-year general election after vacancy.
Governors are only allowed to appoint Senators who serve until the special
election.

(Senator Pete Wilson had resigned his seat to become Governor of
California in 1991,and Feinstein won a special election to replace
Wilson's appointee in 1992,for example).

-=-=-

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf7o21$smo$4@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19368&group=alt.obituaries#19368

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:53:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:53 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <uf6uql$c1lt$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend wrote:

>> >What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year anyway.
>> >Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be done with
>> >it.
>>
>> There was a federal court decision a number of years ago that requires
>> special elections for Senate vacancies, if there's enough time. The
>> House has always required special elections to fill a vacancy and those
>> are just two year terms.
>>
>> There's more than a year plus three months remaining in the term. The
>> governor's appointment will not be allowed to finish out the term
>> without an intervening special election.
>>
>> My state used to fill Senate vacancies if the vacancy occurred early
>> enough with respect to the election cycle in the even-numbered year. I
>> think if the primary had passed but not the general election, there
>> would have been a special primary. If the term would have been
>> re-elected at the next general election and it's beyond the previous
>> general election, then the governor's appointment would have served till
>> the end of the term.
>>
>> I assume that was common in other states. I never heard of a state that
>> allowed the governor's appointment to complete the term if there were
>> intervening even numbered year elections.
>

> After Bobby Kennedy was murdered in 1968, NY Governor Nelson
> Rockefeller appointed liberal Republican Charles Goodell (the father of
> the current-day sports commissioner) to fill out his term. The next
> election was in 1970. Goodell lost in a three-way race to James
> Buckley, brother of William F., which was the outcome the GOP wanted
> because it didn't want liberal Goodell, and the Democrat was a
> sniveling north-of-the-city toad who still lived with his mother.

My family supported and campaigned for Ottinger,thank you.
He's still alive at 94.

> Jim Buckley turned out to be the first Republican senator to call for
> Nixon's resignation.

(died this year at age 100)

-=-=-

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf7o4a$smo$5@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19369&group=alt.obituaries#19369

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:54:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:54 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:08:02 -0000 (UTC),
> INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:
>

>>Reported by various sources.
>
> *Now* will she step down?

I doubt anyone will convince her to take a single step any more.

-=-=-

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf7ol9$s2v$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19370&group=alt.obituaries#19370

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 00:03:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 00:03 UTC

radioacti...@gmail.com <radioactiveseattle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing the sentimentalists who hold sway in our society these days
> will push over the next day or so to have her casket placed under the U.S.
> Capitol dome--citing longest-serving current Senator,

Longest serving DEMOCRATIC Senator,but Republicans Grassley
(who succeeds her as oldest current Senator) and McConnell
have served longer.
Patty Murray becomes longest-serving Democrat (and has
already been given the post of president pro tempore that
has since 1945 generally been given to the majority's
longest serving member,given Feinstein's ill health).

> first California XX-chromosome Senator, etc. John McCain's corpse got that
> honored treatment, though he hardly warranted what (at least in the modern
> era) should be reserved for late Presidents.
>
> A MUCH more appropriate venue would be to have DiFi laid out in San Francisco City Hall. That's the edifice in which she catapulted into the national consciousness after her shocking press conference on Monday, November 27, 1978, when she announced in a City Hall hallway crammed elbow-to-elbow with Bay Area reporters the stunning news that resigned-Supervisor Dan White had earlier that day assassinated Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor (and gay movement icon) Harvey Milk* in their offices.
>
> BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
> ===================
> * Surely the most famous twin assassinations since that of Franz-Joseph and Sophie at the hand of Serbian student Gavrilo Princip on Sunday, June 28, 1914 in the future Winter Olympics city of Sarajevo.

-=-=-

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<460c6a0d-87cd-4e50-a07b-64f94bb2c965n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19373&group=alt.obituaries#19373

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 18:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: tommie.h...@gmail.com (Tommie Hicks)
 by: Tommie Hicks - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 01:22 UTC

Wow, an alt obits entry I actually shook hands with. I shook hands with then mayor Feinstein during Fleet Week 1982 as we got off the ship. My impression was she really didn't want to be there. I think about a month later I had to attend a speech on the ship docked across from my ship the Coral Sea which was the Enterprise. Ronald Reagan was the speaker and what impressed me most was that most media images portrayed Reagan from the front where he looked relatively normal. But when you saw Reagan from the side, it looked like the distance from his nose to the back of his head was about four inches, kinda like Gumby.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<290920232141403271%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19374&group=alt.obituaries#19374

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 21:41:40 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 01:41 UTC

In article <uf7o21$smo$4@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <uf6uql$c1lt$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> > <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >> There was a federal court decision a number of years ago that requires
> >> special elections for Senate vacancies, if there's enough time. The
> >> House has always required special elections to fill a vacancy and those
> >> are just two year terms.
> >>
> >> There's more than a year plus three months remaining in the term. The
> >> governor's appointment will not be allowed to finish out the term
> >> without an intervening special election.
> >>
> >> My state used to fill Senate vacancies if the vacancy occurred early
> >> enough with respect to the election cycle in the even-numbered year. I
> >> think if the primary had passed but not the general election, there
> >> would have been a special primary. If the term would have been
> >> re-elected at the next general election and it's beyond the previous
> >> general election, then the governor's appointment would have served till
> >> the end of the term.
> >>
> >> I assume that was common in other states. I never heard of a state that
> >> allowed the governor's appointment to complete the term if there were
> >> intervening even numbered year elections.
> >

> > After Bobby Kennedy was murdered in 1968, NY Governor Nelson
> > Rockefeller appointed liberal Republican Charles Goodell (the father of
> > the current-day sports commissioner) to fill out his term. The next
> > election was in 1970. Goodell lost in a three-way race to James
> > Buckley, brother of William F., which was the outcome the GOP wanted
> > because it didn't want liberal Goodell, and the Democrat was a
> > sniveling north-of-the-city toad who still lived with his mother.
>
> My family supported and campaigned for Ottinger,thank you.
> He's still alive at 94.

Good for him, but nothing I said was wrong. He was an awful candidate.
The Dems could have and should have won that election, but the party
was still blowing itself up in the ongoing post-1968 wars.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<aa1b874f-a508-4b67-acd1-b90fc4b5b913n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19379&group=alt.obituaries#19379

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike...@live.com (mikespo@live.com)
 by: mikespo@live.com - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 05:49 UTC

On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 12:51:16 PM UTC-4, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:
> Excellent and comprehensive-yet-succinct analysis there, Adam; invoking Smokey Robinson's signature lyric, I second that emotion.
>
> STYBLE/Florida

Don't you love how this crashing bore not only fails to impress anyone with his over-written, "clever" posts, but has to frequently rate other members' postings? But after seeing the video someone posted here of him at his microphone trying to relive his glory days, it all seems to make more sense now. And not in a good way. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for this pompous egomaniac.

.

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<uf9gqc$100i2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19386&group=alt.obituaries#19386

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:02 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>>. . .

>Different states have different rules for when there's a special election.
>Either it's X number of days after vacancy,
>next annual general election after vacancy,
>or next even-year general election after vacancy.

I recall a federal court ruling which I am not immediately finding that
the special election doesn't necessarily occur at an already scheduled
election if there's too much time.

I found a note that 37 states do the special election at the next
regularly scheduled election (which could be affected by that court
ruling) and all of these states allow the governor to make a temporary
appointment.

In the remaining 13 states, a special election is scheduled within a
time frame that isn't necessarily held at the next scheduled election.
Of these states, 8 allow the governor to make a temporary appointment
but the other 5 do not. North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island,
and Wisconsin have no provision for a temporary appointment.

https://ballotpedia.org/Filling_vacancies_in_the_U.S._Senate

>. . .

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<ufhqt1$2c$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19416&group=alt.obituaries#19416

From: INVALID_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:43:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:43 UTC

In the previous article, A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
> What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year
> anyway. Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be
> done with it.

Better yet, repeal the ghastly XVIIth Amendment and let the
legislature send a senator to Washington, subject to recall at its
pleasure.
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Re: Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator, dead at 90

<ufj2i4$f61$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19420&group=alt.obituaries#19420

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 07:00:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 07:00 UTC

J.D. Baldwin <INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> In the previous article, A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
>> What a waste of taxpayer money. There's an election next year
>> anyway. Appoint the replacement to fill out Feinstein's term and be
>> done with it.
>
> Better yet, repeal the ghastly XVIIth Amendment and let the
> legislature send a senator to Washington, subject to recall at its
> pleasure.

I have pondered a halfway repeal...let one of each state's senators
represent its government,and the other its population at large.
For the time being unrepresentative gerrymandered legislatures
are an issue.

-=-=-