interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death

SubjectAuthor
* Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential deathMeteorite Debris
+- Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential deathdanny burstein
+- Re-arranging the deck chairs (Was: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidKenny McCormack
`* Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential deathAdam H. Kerman
 `- Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential deathDavid Carson

1
Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death

<f9c9effa-17ba-4361-ad80-f444e56d9c99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19376&group=alt.obituaries#19376

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:56:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death
From: peter.gr...@gmail.com (Meteorite Debris)
 by: Meteorite Debris - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:56 UTC

If a President dies in office then the VP becomes POTUS but if that is not possible then the Speaker of the House of Representatives will be POTUS.

What happens if said Speaker is less than 35 years old? That is > 25 as per the constitution but < 35 as required for POTUS in the same constitution.

If Trump is elected POTUS in 2025 will his Presidential pension continue or be stopped. Would Trump be entitled to a second Presidential pension in addition to still being paid first one come Jan 20 2029?

Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death

<uf82rq$9ka$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19377&group=alt.obituaries#19377

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:58:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:58 UTC

In <f9c9effa-17ba-4361-ad80-f444e56d9c99n@googlegroups.com> Meteorite Debris <peter.gregory.kelly@gmail.com> writes:

>If a President dies in office then the VP becomes POTUS but if that is not possible then the Speaker of the House of Representatives will be POTUS.

>What happens if said Speaker is less than 35 years old? That is > 25 as per the constitution but < 35 as required for POTUS in the same constitution.

THe same thing that happens if that person isn't a "natural born citizen".
The line simply skips to the next one.

C.f. When Madeline Albright was Sec of State...
dannyb@panix.com

Re-arranging the deck chairs (Was: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death)

<uf8pej$1hqi1$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19380&group=alt.obituaries#19380

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:23:31 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:23 UTC

In article <f9c9effa-17ba-4361-ad80-f444e56d9c99n@googlegroups.com>,
Meteorite Debris <peter.gregory.kelly@gmail.com> wrote:
>If Trump is elected POTUS in 2025 ...

Once you hit that premise, I think all of your questions are pretty much
the equivalent of "Let's worry about re-arranging the deck chairs on the
Titanic".

I.e., it won't matter much.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/LadyChatterley

Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death

<uf9eqd$vadg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19383&group=alt.obituaries#19383

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:28:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:28 UTC

Meteorite Debris <peter.gregory.kelly@gmail.com> wrote:

>If a President dies in office then the VP becomes POTUS but if that is
>not possible then the Speaker of the House of Representatives will be
>POTUS.

If the vice president succeeds the president due to the president's death
or resignation while in office, the vice president assumes the office
of president.

No one else in the line of succession assumes the office of president.
Instead, he assumes powers and duties only.

>What happens if said Speaker is less than 35 years old? That is > 25 as
>per the constitution but < 35 as required for POTUS in the same
>constitution.

Because of assumption of powers and duties only, does constitutional law
on presidential qualification, natural born citizen and at least 35,
apply to someone who has assumed powers and duties only and not the
office itself?

Making qualifications the same as in the constitution was addressed in the
Presidential Succession Act of 1886.

It's controversial that the Speaker and President Pro Tempore of the
Senate are in the line of succession, designated in the Act of 1792 but
removed in the Act of 1886. James Madison stated at the time that the
constitution limited succession to "officers", which meant executive
branch only and not legislative branch.

This was done to thwart Thomas Jefferson, then Secretary of State, from
being next in the line of succession as he and Alexander Hamilton
had become political opponents.

Truman asked that the Speaker and President Pro Tempore be made next in
the line of succession because he wanted the acting president to be
elected and not appointed. This was done in the Act of 1947.

>. . .

Re: Semi OT - succession in the event of a presidential death

<ufag7d$16v6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19388&group=alt.obituaries#19388

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:58:10 -0500
 by: David Carson - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 00:58 UTC

On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:28:13 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Truman asked that the Speaker and President Pro Tempore be made next in
>the line of succession because he wanted the acting president to be
>elected and not appointed. This was done in the Act of 1947.

Little known fact: If all of the Cabinet and Congressional leaders in the
line of succession are unavailable, the responsibility devolves to:
1. The MVP of the most recent World Series. Right now, that's Jeremy Pena
of the Houston Astros. He's from the Dominican Republic, but that, as you
mentioned, doesn't matter.This addition to the line of succession was made
by President George W. Bush, a baseball fan and one-time Texas Rangers
executive.
2. The president of the Daughters of the American Revolution. This was
added by the first President Bush, aka 41.
3. That one guy who's been a cast member of "Saturday Night Live" so much
longer than anyone else. Usually, but not necessarily, the black guy.
Clinton.
4. The reigning Miss USA. Trump.
5. The career major-league strikeout leader. This addition to the line of
succession expires upon the death of Nolan Ryan. W. again.

--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com