From: some...@somewhere.monster (Unknown)
Subject: Re: Mountain Laurels
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 02:39:28 GMT
 by: Unknown - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 02:39 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:32:09 +0000, Texas grandma wrote:

> I have seeds for mountain laurels and I was told I had to use sand paper
> to rub the seeds and get the red off of them to make them grow, is this
> true?

Yes. The seed coat is hard and impermeable to water, so it has to be
scarified to allow water to enter the seed in order for it to germinate.
In the wild, the seed coat deteriorates over time, and when it is weakened
enough, it will germinate after rain. I usually use a file for similar
seeds that need scarification, like mesquite and palo verde, and file the
coat until I just see the actual seed, usually a light green. I don't
know if you are aware of it, but the seeds are poisonous, so do not eat
them.