Go climb a gravity well!

interests / rec.motorcycles.harley / Re: What oil are you Running?

SubjectAuthor
* What oil are you Running?john
`* Re: What oil are you Running?Bob La Londe
 `* Re: What oil are you Running?Snag
  `* Re: What oil are you Running?john
   `* Re: What oil are you Running?Snag
    `* Re: What oil are you Running?Snag
     `* Re: What oil are you Running?Bob La Londe
      `* Re: What oil are you Running?john
       `* Re: What oil are you Running?Bob La Londe
        `* Re: What oil are you Running?john
         `* Re: What oil are you Running?Bob La Londe
          `* Re: What oil are you Running?john
           `* Re: What oil are you Running?Bob La Londe
            +* Re: What oil are you Running?Snag
            |`* Re: What oil are you Running?sticks
            | +- Re: What oil are you Running?john
            | `- Re: What oil are you Running?Phil Boutros
            `- Re: What oil are you Running?Phil Boutros

1
What oil are you Running?

<t5e027$7b8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#193

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: What oil are you Running?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:22:52 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:22 UTC

I'm about to do an oil change, and wondering...

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5etff$l1m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#194

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: What oil are you Running?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 16:45:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 10 May 2022 23:45 UTC

On 5/10/2022 8:22 AM, john wrote:
> I'm about to do an oil change, and wondering...

It depends on your spark plug choice and personal sidearm selection. Of
course if you are running aramid wires you have to take that into
account as well.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5f5gm$6c9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#195

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:03:04 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 11 May 2022 02:03 UTC

On 5/10/2022 6:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 8:22 AM, john wrote:
>> I'm about to do an oil change, and wondering...
>
> It depends on your spark plug choice and personal sidearm selection.  Of
> course if you are running aramid wires you have to take that into
> account as well.

Dammit Bob , you almost made me spray a sip of bourbon on my monitor !
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5ghi5$pie$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#196

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:33:45 -0400
 by: john - Wed, 11 May 2022 14:33 UTC

On 5/10/2022 10:03 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 6:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 5/10/2022 8:22 AM, john wrote:
>>> I'm about to do an oil change, and wondering...
>>
>> It depends on your spark plug choice and personal sidearm selection.
>> Of course if you are running aramid wires you have to take that into
>> account as well.
>>

>   Dammit Bob , you almost made me spray a sip of bourbon on my monitor !

hope no beverages were frivolously spilled...

currently have ngk, a 45 and just the plain old black plug wires.
i have some mobile 1 20-50 that i was planning on using....
john

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5h42n$5jf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#197

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:50:20 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:50 UTC

On 5/11/2022 9:33 AM, john wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 10:03 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends on your spark plug choice and personal sidearm selection.
>>> Of course if you are running aramid wires you have to take that into
>>> account as well.
>>>

>>    Dammit Bob , you almost made me spray a sip of bourbon on my monitor !
>
> hope no beverages were frivolously spilled...
>
> currently have ngk, a 45 and just the plain old black plug wires.
> i have some mobile 1 20-50 that i was planning on using....
> john

My personal choice is Castrol GTX , 20W-50 for the bikes , 10W-30 for
the car and Mr Rusty tractor . The truck ('86 GMC 1500) has a new motor
, a built 305 with a flat tappet performance cam . It gets Rotella T4
15W-40 for the ZDDP content . I use nothing but Wix filters - NAPA auto
parts NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix .
As far as plug wires , I'm pretty sure the SportyTrike has the
originals (2009 with like 7k miles) I dunno about my bike ...
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5h6j0$n32$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#198

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:33:39 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 11 May 2022 20:33 UTC

On 5/11/2022 2:50 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/11/2022 9:33 AM, john wrote:

>>>    Dammit Bob , you almost made me spray a sip of bourbon on my
>>> monitor !
>>
>> hope no beverages were frivolously spilled...
>>
>> currently have ngk, a 45 and just the plain old black plug wires.
>> i have some mobile 1 20-50 that i was planning on using....
>> john
>>

>   My personal choice is Castrol GTX , 20W-50 for the bikes , 10W-30 for
> the car and Mr Rusty tractor . The truck ('86 GMC 1500) has a new motor
> , a built 305 with a flat tappet performance cam . It gets Rotella T4
> 15W-40 for the ZDDP content . I use nothing but Wix filters - NAPA auto
> parts NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix .
>   As far as plug wires , I'm pretty sure the SportyTrike has the
> originals (2009 with like 7k miles) I dunno about my bike ...

Also meant to say that truck motor is NEW new , never been fired .
And here's to it and to it again , have a shot or 3 of this COA
silver Terkillya . Smewth !
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5h95n$1hug$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#199

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:17:42 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 11 May 2022 21:17 UTC

On 5/11/2022 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/11/2022 2:50 PM, Snag wrote:

>>> hope no beverages were frivolously spilled...
>>>
>>> currently have ngk, a 45 and just the plain old black plug wires.
>>> i have some mobile 1 20-50 that i was planning on using....
>>> john
>>>

>>    My personal choice is Castrol GTX , 20W-50 for the bikes , 10W-30
>> for the car and Mr Rusty tractor . The truck ('86 GMC 1500) has a new
>> motor , a built 305 with a flat tappet performance cam . It gets
>> Rotella T4 15W-40 for the ZDDP content . I use nothing but Wix filters
>> - NAPA auto parts NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix .
>>    As far as plug wires , I'm pretty sure the SportyTrike has the
>> originals (2009 with like 7k miles) I dunno about my bike ...
>
>   Also meant to say that truck motor is NEW new , never been fired .
>   And here's to it and to it again , have a shot or 3 of this COA
> silver Terkillya . Smewth !

I'll pass on the tequila. A couple of them (my wife likes tequila) are
smooth enough to sip, but for most I can't get past the smell. And no
its not my never again drink from my youth. That was Jim Beam. These
days I search for smooth sipping rye whiskey like Pendelton 1910 in the
painted bottle (not the one with the paper label) or maybe Ten High.
Knob Creek is rough and raw. If I feel like rough and raw a bourbon is
better. Bullet rye is better than Knob Creek, but not as good as Ten
High.

That being said we do have a fair selection of tequila for sampling if
you ever make it through these parts. If rot gut tequila is ok there is
a milk crate full of Cuervo Especial little bottles out in the garage
that was part of a financial recovery some years back. A few other
crates of other stuff as well. Most of it I will never drink, and of
course I can't sell it. I did give away a crate of Captain Morgan to a
buddy who stepped up and helped me out when I was helping out my parents
last year so none of that left. I even used to keep a bottle of Tepa in
the freezer for Coyote (Tom) if he happened by, but he died a several
years back. Finally took that bottle out of the freezer last year to
make room for some steaks that were on sale.

Interesting that you like Wix filters. When I was a kid there was a
cut-a-way of various filters showing WIX had among the least amount of
filter material. AC-Delco was among those with the most. (We had a
hardware and autoparts store.) I guess WIX has upped their game since
then. I seem to recall back then WIX was also one of the cheapest
filters. AC Delco wasn't the most expensive, but it was up there.
Don't know if they still do, but they made filters for nearly
everything. Your comment about Napa Gold was news to me. I know one of
the few mechanics I trust uses them. Last time I did my own oil change
I used them because he uses them. Neither the truck or the Jeep has
blown up yet because of it, so I guess its all good. LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5jget$1630$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#200

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:33:19 -0400
 by: john - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:33 UTC

On 5/11/2022 5:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/11/2022 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:

>>>    My personal choice is Castrol GTX , 20W-50 for the bikes , 10W-30
>>> for the car and Mr Rusty tractor . The truck ('86 GMC 1500) has a new
>>> motor , a built 305 with a flat tappet performance cam . It gets
>>> Rotella T4 15W-40 for the ZDDP content . I use nothing but Wix
>>> filters - NAPA auto parts NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix .
>>>    As far as plug wires , I'm pretty sure the SportyTrike has the
>>> originals (2009 with like 7k miles) I dunno about my bike ...
>>
>>    Also meant to say that truck motor is NEW new , never been fired .
>>    And here's to it and to it again , have a shot or 3 of this COA
>> silver Terkillya . Smewth !
>

> I'll pass on the tequila.  A couple of them (my wife likes tequila) are
> smooth enough to sip, but for most I can't get past the smell.  And no
> its not my never again drink from my youth.  That was Jim Beam.  These
> days I search for smooth sipping rye whiskey like Pendelton 1910 in the
> painted bottle (not the one with the paper label) or maybe Ten High.
> Knob Creek is rough and raw.  If I feel like rough and raw a bourbon is
> better.  Bullet rye is better than Knob Creek, but not as good as Ten High.
>
> That being said we do have a fair selection of tequila for sampling if
> you ever make it through these parts.  If rot gut tequila is ok there is
> a milk crate full of Cuervo Especial little bottles out in the garage
> that was part of a financial recovery some years back.  A few other
> crates of other stuff as well.  Most of it I will never drink, and of
> course I can't sell it.  I did give away a crate of Captain Morgan to a
> buddy who stepped up and helped me out when I was helping out my parents
> last year so none of that left.  I even used to keep a bottle of Tepa in
> the freezer for Coyote (Tom) if he happened by, but he died a several
> years back.  Finally took that bottle out of the freezer last year to
> make room for some steaks that were on sale.
>
> Interesting that you like Wix filters.  When I was a kid there was a
> cut-a-way of various filters showing WIX had among the least amount of
> filter material.  AC-Delco was among those with the most.  (We had a
> hardware and autoparts store.)  I guess WIX has upped their game since
> then.  I seem to recall back then WIX was also one of the cheapest
> filters.  AC Delco wasn't the most expensive, but it was up there. Don't
> know if they still do, but they made filters for nearly everything. Your
> comment about Napa Gold was news to me.  I know one of the few mechanics
> I trust uses them.  Last time I did my own oil change I used them
> because he uses them.  Neither the truck or the Jeep has blown up yet
> because of it, so I guess its all good.  LOL.

one tequila, two tequila, floor...
i tend to stay away from tequila it sneaks up on me.

when out & about if i don't recognize anything else interesting
i'll go for knob creek or makers mark they are good..
at Home it's usually wellers red, or woodford double oaked.

AC-Delco is my go to bike filter, Castrol was my oil of
choice up until 20 years ago when i switched to mobile 1,

john

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t5u5ah$1fk8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#203

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:31:44 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 16 May 2022 18:31 UTC

On 5/12/2022 10:33 AM, john wrote:
> On 5/11/2022 5:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>    Also meant to say that truck motor is NEW new , never been fired .
>>>    And here's to it and to it again , have a shot or 3 of this COA
>>> silver Terkillya . Smewth !
>>

>> I'll pass on the tequila.  A couple of them (my wife likes tequila)
>> are smooth enough to sip, but for most I can't get past the smell.
>> And no its not my never again drink from my youth.  That was Jim
>> Beam.  These days I search for smooth sipping rye whiskey like
>> Pendelton 1910 in the painted bottle (not the one with the paper
>> label) or maybe Ten High. Knob Creek is rough and raw.  If I feel like
>> rough and raw a bourbon is better.  Bullet rye is better than Knob
>> Creek, but not as good as Ten High.
>>
>> That being said we do have a fair selection of tequila for sampling if
>> you ever make it through these parts.  If rot gut tequila is ok there
>> is a milk crate full of Cuervo Especial little bottles out in the
>> garage that was part of a financial recovery some years back.  A few
>> other crates of other stuff as well.  Most of it I will never drink,
>> and of course I can't sell it.  I did give away a crate of Captain
>> Morgan to a buddy who stepped up and helped me out when I was helping
>> out my parents last year so none of that left.  I even used to keep a
>> bottle of Tepa in the freezer for Coyote (Tom) if he happened by, but
>> he died a several years back.  Finally took that bottle out of the
>> freezer last year to make room for some steaks that were on sale.
>>
>> Interesting that you like Wix filters.  When I was a kid there was a
>> cut-a-way of various filters showing WIX had among the least amount of
>> filter material.  AC-Delco was among those with the most.  (We had a
>> hardware and autoparts store.)  I guess WIX has upped their game since
>> then.  I seem to recall back then WIX was also one of the cheapest
>> filters.  AC Delco wasn't the most expensive, but it was up there.
>> Don't know if they still do, but they made filters for nearly
>> everything. Your comment about Napa Gold was news to me.  I know one
>> of the few mechanics I trust uses them.  Last time I did my own oil
>> change I used them because he uses them.  Neither the truck or the
>> Jeep has blown up yet because of it, so I guess its all good.  LOL.
>>

> one tequila, two tequila, floor...
> i tend to stay away from tequila it sneaks up on me.
>
> when out & about if i don't recognize anything else interesting
> i'll go for knob creek or makers mark they are good..
> at Home it's usually wellers red, or woodford double oaked.
>
> AC-Delco is my go to bike filter, Castrol was my oil of
> choice up until 20 years ago when i switched to mobile 1,
>
> john

At the moment I am concerned about #2 way oil for my CNC (and manual)
machines. The Mobile Vactra is out of stock with my regular vendors so
I'm looking at switching to a straight mineral oil.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t60861$pr3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=204&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#204

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:31:43 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:31 UTC

On 5/16/2022 2:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> #2 way oil

good stuff for sliding stuff back & forth.
it's hard to find local around here too....
try grainger / mcmastercarr

john

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t60am7$1jo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#205

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:15:34 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:15 UTC

On 5/17/2022 6:31 AM, john wrote:
> On 5/16/2022 2:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> #2 way oil
>
> good stuff for sliding stuff back & forth.
> it's hard to find local around here too....
> try grainger / mcmastercarr
>
> john

McMaster is the one that suggest a switch to a straight mineral way oil
the same weight/vis. I'd say Grainger can kiss my ass, but I wouldn't
let them that close. MSC is out of the Vactra #2 as well.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t60eni$2mb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#206

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:23:28 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:23 UTC

On 5/17/2022 10:15 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 6:31 AM, john wrote:
>> On 5/16/2022 2:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> #2 way oil
>>
>> good stuff for sliding stuff back & forth.
>> it's hard to find local around here too....
>> try grainger / mcmastercarr
>>
>> john
>

> McMaster is the one that suggest a switch to a straight mineral way oil
> the same weight/vis.  I'd say Grainger can kiss my ass, but I wouldn't
> let them that close.  MSC is out of the Vactra #2 as well.

hopefully usenet police won't roast me for posting a hyper-link...

https://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-lubrication/mobil-vactra-oil-no.-2-5-gallon-pail?

haven't dealt with this company before... but site says they have it..
i still have 1/2 barrel left at the shop... so i'm good for a while
john

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t60k0f$ovp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=207&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#207

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:54:39 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:54 UTC

On 5/17/2022 8:23 AM, john wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 10:15 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>>
>>> good stuff for sliding stuff back & forth.
>>> it's hard to find local around here too....
>>> try grainger / mcmastercarr
>>>
>>> john
>>

>> McMaster is the one that suggest a switch to a straight mineral way
>> oil the same weight/vis.  I'd say Grainger can kiss my ass, but I
>> wouldn't let them that close.  MSC is out of the Vactra #2 as well.
>>

> hopefully usenet police won't roast me for posting a hyper-link...
>
> https://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-lubrication/mobil-vactra-oil-no.-2-5-gallon-pail?
>

> haven't dealt with this company before... but site says they have it..
> i still have 1/2 barrel left at the shop... so i'm good for a while
> john

In the old days Usenet groups had individual guidelines as defined in
the requests and discussions before they were created, but for the most
part they have gone out the window as generally unenforceable. Most
groups always allowed links as long as they were germane and weren't
blatant spam. The big deal back in the day was to never post files to
non-binary groups.

There are probably still a few actively moderated groups like rec.guns
where rules are enforced.

Generally though unless you can get a server to block a user its pretty
hard to enforce any rules on Usenet. I don't bother any more. I just
filter the user at my end if all their content is garbage, and hide
sub-threads that go off into the weeds for those who occasionally post
something useful.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t6141h$cs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=208&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#208

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 16:27:49 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 17 May 2022 21:27 UTC

On 5/17/2022 11:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 8:23 AM, john wrote:

>>> McMaster is the one that suggest a switch to a straight mineral way
>>> oil the same weight/vis.  I'd say Grainger can kiss my ass, but I
>>> wouldn't let them that close.  MSC is out of the Vactra #2 as well.
>>>

>> hopefully usenet police won't roast me for posting a hyper-link...
>>
>> https://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-lubrication/mobil-vactra-oil-no.-2-5-gallon-pail?
>>

>> haven't dealt with this company before... but site says they have it..
>> i still have 1/2 barrel left at the shop... so i'm good for a while
>> john
>>

> In the old days Usenet groups had individual guidelines as defined in
> the requests and discussions before they were created, but for the most
> part they have gone out the window as generally unenforceable.  Most
> groups always allowed links as long as they were germane and weren't
> blatant spam.  The big deal back in the day was to never post files to
> non-binary groups.
>
> There are probably still a few actively moderated groups like rec.guns
> where rules are enforced.
>
> Generally though unless you can get a server to block a user its pretty
> hard to enforce any rules on Usenet.  I don't bother any more.  I just
> filter the user at my end if all their content is garbage, and hide
> sub-threads that go off into the weeds for those who occasionally post
> something useful.

Pretty much the same approach for me . AND since no one has bought a
round in at least 3 posts ... Y'all need to try this Ezra Brooks 99
(Kentucky straight sour mash bourbon whiskey) the neighbor got for me
for helping him work on his truck .
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t61808$rq6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=209&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#209

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:35:50 -0500
 by: sticks - Tue, 17 May 2022 22:35 UTC

On 5/17/2022 4:27 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 11:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>> In the old days Usenet groups had individual guidelines as defined in
>> the requests and discussions before they were created, but for the
>> most part they have gone out the window as generally unenforceable.
>> Most groups always allowed links as long as they were germane and
>> weren't blatant spam.  The big deal back in the day was to never post
>> files to non-binary groups.
>>
>> There are probably still a few actively moderated groups like rec.guns
>> where rules are enforced.
>>
>> Generally though unless you can get a server to block a user its
>> pretty hard to enforce any rules on Usenet.  I don't bother any more.
>> I just filter the user at my end if all their content is garbage, and
>> hide sub-threads that go off into the weeds for those who occasionally
>> post something useful.
>>

>   Pretty much the same approach for me . AND since no one has bought a
> round in at least 3 posts ... Y'all need to try this Ezra Brooks 99
> (Kentucky straight sour mash bourbon whiskey) the neighbor got for me
> for helping him work on his truck .

Been a long time since I remember anyone posting the actual FAQ for this
group. Traffic is so small, I guess it really doesn't matter. But,
when I found this group years ago, I tried to read it all and adhere. I
find y'all a great bunch of assholes and rarely find offensive posts
here, and the couple shitheads that post here are easily filtered out.
I wish I could read more from this group, but everybody gets busy, and
that's just how it is. I guess in a way, it's better this place isn't
totally filled with troublemakers. There's enough of that everywhere
else. But if there are any lurkers here who haven't seen the FAQ, here
it is.

http://rmhfaq.com/

I was once subscribed to rec.motorcycles and made the error of not
reading their FAQ totally. I am retired now and have more time, but
when I was working I had limited reading time and just got pissed off
one day at all the crap that got brought up in that forum. I made the
mistake of posting that it would be nice if the group could at least try
to stay on topic. They literally would talk about anything and to get
to actual motorcycle content you had to wade through an ocean of shit.
Man did I get flamed. Turned out the DoD (Denizens of Doom) had made it
a point that ANYTHING was on-topic in the group. I apologized and
unsubscribed. Too many nut cases for me to waste my time there.

<https://www.denizensofdoom.com/FAQ.txt>

Thanks for the drink...I got the next round.

Re: What oil are you Running?

<t6456f$1p99$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=210&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#210

From: joh...@not.my.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 21:06:23 -0400
 by: john - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:06 UTC

On 5/17/22 6:35 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 4:27 PM, Snag wrote:
>> On 5/17/2022 11:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>
>>> In the old days Usenet groups had individual guidelines as defined in
>>> the requests and discussions before they were created, but for the
>>> most part they have gone out the window as generally unenforceable.
>>> Most groups always allowed links as long as they were germane and
>>> weren't blatant spam.  The big deal back in the day was to never post
>>> files to non-binary groups.
>>>
>>> There are probably still a few actively moderated groups like
>>> rec.guns where rules are enforced.
>>>
>>> Generally though unless you can get a server to block a user its
>>> pretty hard to enforce any rules on Usenet.  I don't bother any more.
>>> I just filter the user at my end if all their content is garbage, and
>>> hide sub-threads that go off into the weeds for those who
>>> occasionally post something useful.
>>>

>>    Pretty much the same approach for me . AND since no one has bought
>> a round in at least 3 posts ... Y'all need to try this Ezra Brooks 99
>> (Kentucky straight sour mash bourbon whiskey) the neighbor got for me
>> for helping him work on his truck .
>
> Been a long time since I remember anyone posting the actual FAQ for this
> group.  Traffic is so small, I guess it really doesn't matter.  But,
> when I found this group years ago, I tried to read it all and adhere.  I
> find y'all a great bunch of assholes and rarely find offensive posts
> here, and the couple shitheads that post here are easily filtered out. I
> wish I could read more from this group, but everybody gets busy, and
> that's just how it is.  I guess in a way, it's better this place isn't
> totally filled with troublemakers.  There's enough of that everywhere
> else.  But if there are any lurkers here who haven't seen the FAQ, here
> it is.
>
> http://rmhfaq.com/
>
> I was once subscribed to rec.motorcycles and made the error of not
> reading their FAQ totally.  I am retired now and have more time, but
> when I was working I had limited reading time and just got pissed off
> one day at all the crap that got brought up in that forum.  I made the
> mistake of posting that it would be nice if the group could at least try
> to stay on topic.  They literally would talk about anything and to get
> to actual motorcycle content you had to wade through an ocean of shit.
> Man did I get flamed.  Turned out the DoD (Denizens of Doom) had made it
> a point that ANYTHING was on-topic in the group.  I apologized and
> unsubscribed.  Too many nut cases for me to waste my time there.
>
> <https://www.denizensofdoom.com/FAQ.txt>
>
> Thanks for the drink...I got the next round.

DoD
that brings back memories of when i was accessing usenet via
my old xenix server early 1990's
i still crack up when i see my neighbors llamas'...
it reminds me of j deeney and the llama incident

thanks for the drink, i like my coffee black,
beer dark, bourbon neat,& whiskey straight.
john

Re: What oil are you Running?

<slrnt8d4cd.10p0g.philb@ah61.is-a-geek.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=212&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#212

From: phi...@philb.ca (Phil Boutros)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:50:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phil Boutros - Thu, 19 May 2022 18:50 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

> In the old days Usenet groups had individual guidelines as defined in
> the requests and discussions before they were created, but for the most
> part they have gone out the window as generally unenforceable. Most
> groups always allowed links as long as they were germane and weren't
> blatant spam. The big deal back in the day was to never post files to
> non-binary groups.

Still the rules most places. This group has historically been
very well self-"moderated" with the time-tested techniques of flaming
the shit out of idiots and the time-tested clue-by-four.

Those of us who were particularly active doing it are...easy to
spot <sfsf>.

> Generally though unless you can get a server to block a user its pretty
> hard to enforce any rules on Usenet.

"Vee haf other vays!"

Phil...the "not my first rodeo..." Asshole(tm)...
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
philb@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Re: What oil are you Running?

<slrnt8d4id.10p0g.philb@ah61.is-a-geek.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=213&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#213

From: phi...@philb.ca (Phil Boutros)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:54:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phil Boutros - Thu, 19 May 2022 18:54 UTC

sticks <wolverine.01@charter.net> wrote:

> I was once subscribed to rec.motorcycles and made the error of not
> reading their FAQ totally.
<snip>
> They literally would talk about anything and to get
> to actual motorcycle content you had to wade through an ocean of shit.

There are reason most of us never hung out in wreck.moto once
r.m.h. was founded!

Phil the "DoD #6189" Asshole(tm)...