Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:23:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Rudolph Isley, founding member of The Isley Brothers, dies at 84
From: tbett...@yahoo.com (Tom Betts)
 by: Tom Betts - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:23 UTC

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/10/12/rudolph-isley-obituary-isley-brothers/71157566007/

Singer-songwriter Rudolph Isley, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Isley Brothers, has died. He was 84.

Isley's brother Ronald confirmed his death in a statement to USA TODAY Thursday. A cause of death was not disclosed. TMZ was the first to report the news.

"There are no words to express my feelings and the love I have for my brother," Ronald said. "Our family will miss him. But I know he's in a better place."

Comprised of brothers Rudolph, Marvin, O'Kelly, Ronald and Ernie Isley and rounded out with musician Chris Jasper, the Isleys formed in Cincinnati and at one time included five brothers.

Isley was one of the group's primary songwriters and co-wrote the Brothers' breakthrough "Shout," released in 1959. After being immortalized in the 1978 comedy "Animal House," the song has been used as a rallying cry at sporting events ever since.
The Isley Brothers, clockwise from left: Marvin Isley, Chris Jasper, Rudolph Isley, O'Kelly Isley, Ronald Isley, Ernie Isley.

The group went on to enjoy other hits with songs such as "Twist and Shout," "It's Your Thing," "That Lady" and "Fight The Power." When their song "Contagious" climbed the charts in 2001, it gave them the distinction of being the act with the longest chart span on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart at 42 years.

Isley left the band in the late '80s after their album "Spend the Night," released in October 1989, was recorded.

The Isley Brothers have been nominated for multiple Grammy awards and inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2014, the band also received a Lifetime Achievement award from the Recording Academy.

The band was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in June 2022. Representing the group at the ceremony were Elaine Isley Goodstone, Ernie Isley and Ronald Isley. During the induction, Ernie Isley reminded guests that their early hit “Shout” was recorded six decades ago and the reach of their music would go on for years, prompting the Beatles to cover them. The two men then joined up for a medley of hits that included “That Lady," “It’s Your Thing” and “Between the Sheets.”

The group has also experienced some friction amid its historic success.

In March, Isley sued brother Ronald for registering a federal trademark for The Isley Brothers name, claiming the band name is supposed to be jointly owned, according to Billboard.

Per Billboard, Isley requested joint ownership rights for the trademark and a share of any revenue Ronald had earned from it.