Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: One Billion Humans (The Solution to Many Problems)
From: imb...@mindspring.com (Dave P.)
 by: Dave P. - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:31 UTC

One Billion Humans (The Solution to Many Problems)
Author: Peter Rodes Robinson Link: Rodes.pub/OneBillion
[ . . . ]
How many humans are optimum?
Most people would agree that maximizing human population is not a future we yearn for.
Ecologists Gretchen Daily and Paul and Anne Ehrlich have said the optimum population
is no more than 1.5 to 2 billion people.

David Pimentel and others think a population of 2 billion would be optimum.

Theodore P. Lianos suggests that a world population of 3 billion is compatible
with a steady state economy and ecological equilibrium.

Andrew D. Hwang explains that the Worldwatch Institute suggests the Earth can
support at most one-fifth of the present population, 1.5 billion people.
---------------
"If the life of natural things, millions of years old, does not seem sacred to us,
then what can be sacred? Human vanity alone? Contempt for the natural world implies
contempt for life. The domination of nature leads to the domination of human nature.
Anything becomes permissible."
---– Edward Abbey
---------------
The ideal: one billion
One billion humans is not too many and not too few. Ergo: the ideal human population
size on this planet is one billion persons. With this size it will be possible to
preserve about half the earth for the biosphere.

Cambridge University economist Sir Partha Dasgupta has said: assuming we reserve
half the Earth primarily for the use of other species, the range of optimal global
human populations shrinks from 0.5 – 5 billion to 0.25 – 2.5 billion people.

Our number of 1.0 billion lands in the geometric middle of the range suggested by
Sir Partha Dasgupta: 0.25 – 2.5 billion people.
[ . . . ]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vM6FRpKebtTTlQYBUWsan06x_gxLP9XjZTaGyNH2GLk/edit?fbclid=IwAR3U6w-we_22iD-Gao_8vAm0m714WxE-im9EOqMDwwp5gNlGp2guP4_Dc8Y#heading=h.2h72gibh4big