Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in. -- Evan Davis

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)anim8rfsk
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)suzeeq
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|   +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)BTR1701
|   |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)shawn
|   |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)suzeeq
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)suzeeq
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Dimensional Traveler
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)anim8rfsk
|  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)A Friend
|  |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)anim8rfsk
|  ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)A Friend
|  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)Ubiquitous
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Ubiquitous
`- What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ub8c6c$1e0th$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198179&group=rec.arts.tv#198179

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:32:14 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:32 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S9E09 'Prototype' - DVD
"After receiving information that a new black hole may be forming, Sam
leads SG-5 on a mission to P3X584 to gather information on the
phenomenon. They're soon back, however, as the gate, despite having
dialed the correct address, delivered them to another planet. Sam
determines that the gate has been programmed to deflect humans to
another gate, but she soon overcomes that obstacle. When they
investigate P3DX584 they find a laboratory with a human-like being in
stasis. Mitchell re-animates him, much to Daniel's annoyance, and they
take him back to the SGC infirmary. Daniel goes through the lab's
computer and determines that the man they found, named Khalek, was made
by Anubis from his own DNA. Daniel argues for his immediate destruction
but is overruled when Richard Woolsey arrives, insisting that Khalek be
studied, not destroyed."

Agent Richard Woolsey: All we have heard is that the Ori *must* be
taken more seriously than the Goa'uld, that the Priors who represent
them are extremely powerful and dangerous in their own right. And yet,
in the months since this threat emerged, not one proposed
countermeasure, not one shred of technology, not even so much as a
theory or strategy to fight these missionaries has resulted from ongoing
Stargate operations until now. And you want to freeze him.
Major General Hank Landry: Go, go, you're on a roll.

Commentary: EP Robert Cooper and writer Alan McCullough. This was
McCullough's first Stargate script and there is a lot of discussion
about how he learned to write for the show. Cooper mentions DeLuise in
a not exactly complimentary way. Makes me think DeLuise won't be
allowed to do ANY commentaries anymore. We'll have to see. But he does
say DeLuise is a good director.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ub8cmg$1e4oe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198180&group=rec.arts.tv#198180

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:40:47 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:40 UTC

On 8/12/23 9:32 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> What Did You Watch?

Still doin' mostly nothin' now that summer school is over! So I got
through 3 movies yesterday!!

After running errands in the morning, I flipped on the "Price Is Right",
on my OTA(!!) CBS channel, and noticed that *Adam Sandler* had directed
the episode!?! Wha...?!!

Echo Base (Tubi) - I covered this extensively in my separate thread on
this film.
Basically? - It wasn't "Asylum-level bad" but was just one-level up
from that. IOW, it wasn't really, really terrible, but it certainly
wasn't "good" either.
And the film got scads of technical details wrong!

soaps: DOOL - Self-righteous NuStephanie lays Chad out, who like a
coward backs down instead of standing his ground. Xander acts like a
total jerk to Brady (unnecessarily) which prompts Brady to race to Chloe
to plant one on her! Maggie mildly confronts Bonnie about Sarah's
pregnancy. It looks like they are setting up to write out Victor, but I
am very disappointed in how they are going about it... :|
GH (Hulu) - Sidenote: OK, I finally figured out what's going on with
Hulu! So, remember how on Wednesday, I couldn't find a new episode of GH
on Hulu, and figured the episode must just have gotten preempted?...
Well, yesterday I noticed that I was watching the *Aug. 10* episode of
GH, NOT the Aug. 11 episode. So, what happened was - Hulu is no longer
offering *same day* episodes of GH - ABC must have changed it so now
Hulu can only show episodes *the day after* they air! I am shocked by
this, because this is *going backwards* in terms of streaming vs.
broadcast... (And really weird this happened on a Wednesday, in the
middle of a month, rather than on a Monday at the start of a month or
something.)
Anyway, not much happened on GH. Olivia and Carly got into a fight
with Mason's thug cousin in a dive bar, and "Eddie Maine" had to rescue
them. Sam suggests that Maxie move into Dante's (currently unoccupied)
house. (Note: Lulu was referenced again, which is the second time in
about a week - are they bringing Lulu back?!...) Anna tells Dante about
Pikeman. Trina busts in to see Curtis.

Heart of Stone (Netflix) - Apparently, Anim liked this more than I did.
This is an OK spy flick (just released), but it was substantially
hampered by Gal Gidot's limited range, and wasn't helped by its
convoluted premise/plotline.
In general, I think I preferred Netflix's "The Grey Man" to this flick.

Daddy's Girl (Vudu(!)) - OK, this 2018 horror flick (though, it's mild
by horror/torture porn standards, and is closer to being just a
"thriller") is the first one I've seen where they've let Jemma Dallender
do something different - here, at least she's not "terminator 'revenge
girl'". In this one, she has emotional range, and is mostly a victim...
Dallenger plays the titular character, the (step)daughter of a
deranged serial killer (it's Costas Mandylor!), who is basically also
abusive to her. She is forced to help him troll for victims...
Meanwhile, a local cop (Jesse Moss) is looking into missing girls in
the area, and picks up a vagrant hitchhiker (Britt McKillip, the nicest
looking "vagrant" you'll ever see!!).
Eventually, of course, these stories will intersect.
As "torture porn", this movie sucked (because it wasn't!). As more
of a "psychological thriller" exploring Dallenger's character's destiny,
it was decent enough. And I liked seeing a different kind of performance
from Dallenger.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub8cpp$1e4oe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198181&group=rec.arts.tv#198181

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:42:33 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:42 UTC

Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...

On 8/12/23 9:32 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> Stargate: SG-1 S9E09 'Prototype' - DVD
> "After receiving information that a new black hole may be forming, Sam
> leads SG-5 on a mission to P3X584 to gather information on the
> phenomenon. They're soon back, however, as the gate, despite having
> dialed the correct address, delivered them to another planet. Sam
> determines that the gate has been programmed to deflect humans to
> another gate, but she soon overcomes that obstacle. When they
> investigate P3DX584 they find a laboratory with a human-like being in
> stasis. Mitchell re-animates him, much to Daniel's annoyance, and they
> take him back to the SGC infirmary. Daniel goes through the lab's
> computer and determines that the man they found, named Khalek, was made
> by Anubis from his own DNA. Daniel argues for his immediate destruction
> but is overruled when Richard Woolsey arrives, insisting that Khalek be
> studied, not destroyed."
>
>     Agent Richard Woolsey: All we have heard is that the Ori *must* be
> taken more seriously than the Goa'uld, that the Priors who represent
> them are extremely powerful and dangerous in their own right. And yet,
> in the months since this threat emerged, not one proposed
> countermeasure, not one shred of technology, not even so much as a
> theory or strategy to fight these missionaries has resulted from ongoing
> Stargate operations until now. And you want to freeze him.
>     Major General Hank Landry: Go, go, you're on a roll.
>
> Commentary: EP Robert Cooper and writer Alan McCullough.  This was
> McCullough's first Stargate script and there is a lot of discussion
> about how he learned to write for the show.  Cooper mentions DeLuise in
> a not exactly complimentary way.  Makes me think DeLuise won't be
> allowed to do ANY commentaries anymore.  We'll have to see.  But he does
> say DeLuise is a good director.
>

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub8crp$1e4nd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198182&group=rec.arts.tv#198182

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:43:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:43 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...

You won't have fries with that?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub8dpp$ofb$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198183&group=rec.arts.tv#198183

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:59:38 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:59 UTC

On 8/12/2023 9:43 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...
>
> You won't have fries with that?

Or Spam? Because everyday is Fryday....

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<594799709.713556594.326335.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198192&group=rec.arts.tv#198192

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 11:23:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 18:23 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/12/23 9:32 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> What Did You Watch?
>

> Echo Base (Tubi) - I covered this extensively in my separate thread on
> this film.
> Basically? - It wasn't "Asylum-level bad" but was just one-level up
> from that. IOW, it wasn't really, really terrible, but it certainly
> wasn't "good" either.
> And the film got scads of technical details wrong!

But at least, finally, our long national nightmare is over.

> Heart of Stone (Netflix) - Apparently, Anim liked this more than I did.
> This is an OK spy flick (just released), but it was substantially
> hampered by Gal Gidot's limited range, and wasn't helped by its
> convoluted premise/plotline.
> In general, I think I preferred Netflix's "The Grey Man" to this flick.

In fairness to me, I made that recommendation to you about a third of the
way into the movie, and when I went back and resumed it, they instantly
killed off all the MI6 characters I liked. Suddenly, it was like being in
that awful wretched second Kingsman movie.

I still liked a lot of it, especially the first third. Speaking of Godot, I
liked her better in this than I have most things, but something that they
tried to do that was clever, but didn’t work was her accent. Apparently the
conceit in the movie is that her real life accent is fake and she really
speaks like an American. In the scenes where she pulled it off it was
really good. But that’s only about 20% of the time. The rest of it it was
just like she was trying to defeat her accent and failing which is
obviously what was really happening.

At least she has the stature for you to suspend disbelief that she might
hurt some of these guys in a fight.

Speaking of tiny, whiny women that can’t fight I liked the skydiving
sequence where the tiny whiny women who couldn’t fight actually sounded
like a tiny, whiny woman losing a fight GET OFF ME GET AWAY FROM ME STOP
IT!

It was like wonder woman was beating up Meg Griffin.

Just about smack dab in the middle, there’s an extended sequence lifted
shot for shot from the Rocketeer! What the actual hell?

Is “the gray man“ that thing with Ana de Armas as the super spy, and Chris
Evans (talk about limited range) as the super Shlump?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<262332378.713557345.415780.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198193&group=rec.arts.tv#198193

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 11:23:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 18:23 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...

Lol it was truncated on my phone anyway. You could’ve gotten away with it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<667491428.713561068.030226.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198201&group=rec.arts.tv#198201

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:27 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> Stargate: SG-1 S9E09 'Prototype' - DVD
> "After receiving information that a new black hole may be forming, Sam
> leads SG-5 on a mission to P3X584 to gather information on the
> phenomenon. They're soon back, however, as the gate, despite having
> dialed the correct address, delivered them to another planet. Sam
> determines that the gate has been programmed to deflect humans to
> another gate, but she soon overcomes that obstacle. When they
> investigate P3DX584 they find a laboratory with a human-like being in
> stasis. Mitchell re-animates him, much to Daniel's annoyance, and they
> take him back to the SGC infirmary. Daniel goes through the lab's
> computer and determines that the man they found, named Khalek, was made
> by Anubis from his own DNA. Daniel argues for his immediate destruction
> but is overruled when Richard Woolsey arrives, insisting that Khalek be
> studied, not destroyed."
>
> Agent Richard Woolsey: All we have heard is that the Ori *must* be
> taken more seriously than the Goa'uld, that the Priors who represent
> them are extremely powerful and dangerous in their own right. And yet,
> in the months since this threat emerged, not one proposed
> countermeasure, not one shred of technology, not even so much as a
> theory or strategy to fight these missionaries has resulted from ongoing
> Stargate operations until now. And you want to freeze him.
> Major General Hank Landry: Go, go, you're on a roll.

Is anybody else amazed that Richard Woolsey never met with an accident?
Especially on Atlantis when it would be so easy to fall over one of those
balconies. Hell, I’d have had him shot just for bringing that goddamn
conference table to another galaxy.

I wonder if Sam knows how to program the Stargate so that four people go in
and only three come out?

> Commentary: EP Robert Cooper and writer Alan McCullough. This was
> McCullough's first Stargate script and there is a lot of discussion
> about how he learned to write for the show. Cooper mentions DeLuise in
> a not exactly complimentary way. Makes me think DeLuise won't be
> allowed to do ANY commentaries anymore. We'll have to see. But he does
> say DeLuise is a good director.
>

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ub8oa5$1foiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198210&group=rec.arts.tv#198210

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:59:00 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

On 8/12/23 11:23 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/12/23 9:32 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>
>>> What Did You Watch?
>>
>> Heart of Stone (Netflix) - Apparently, Anim liked this more than I did.
>> This is an OK spy flick (just released), but it was substantially
>> hampered by Gal Gidot's limited range, and wasn't helped by its
>> convoluted premise/plotline.
>> In general, I think I preferred Netflix's "The Grey Man" to this flick.
>
> In fairness to me, I made that recommendation to you about a third of the
> way into the movie, and when I went back and resumed it, they instantly
> killed off all the MI6 characters I liked. Suddenly, it was like being in
> that awful wretched second Kingsman movie.
>
> I still liked a lot of it, especially the first third. Speaking of Godot, I
> liked her better in this than I have most things, but something that they
> tried to do that was clever, but didn’t work was her accent. Apparently the
> conceit in the movie is that her real life accent is fake and she really
> speaks like an American. In the scenes where she pulled it off it was
> really good. But that’s only about 20% of the time. The rest of it it was
> just like she was trying to defeat her accent and failing which is
> obviously what was really happening.
>
> At least she has the stature for you to suspend disbelief that she might
> hurt some of these guys in a fight.
>
> Speaking of tiny, whiny women

....but not "skinny" either!...

> that can’t fight I liked the skydiving
> sequence where the tiny whiny women who couldn’t fight actually sounded
> like a tiny, whiny woman losing a fight GET OFF ME GET AWAY FROM ME STOP
> IT!
>
> It was like wonder woman was beating up Meg Griffin.
>
> Just about smack dab in the middle, there’s an extended sequence lifted
> shot for shot from the Rocketeer! What the actual hell?
>
> Is “the gray man“ that thing with Ana de Armas as the super spy, and Chris
> Evans (talk about limited range) as the super Shlump?

Evans is the villain. Ryan Gosling is the lead.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub8obc$1fprq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198211&group=rec.arts.tv#198211

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:59:42 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

On 8/12/2023 9:42 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...

It was REALLY HOT where I am yesterday.... :P

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ub8odq$1fprq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198212&group=rec.arts.tv#198212

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 13:01:00 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:01 UTC

On 8/12/2023 12:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S9E09 'Prototype' - DVD
>> "After receiving information that a new black hole may be forming, Sam
>> leads SG-5 on a mission to P3X584 to gather information on the
>> phenomenon. They're soon back, however, as the gate, despite having
>> dialed the correct address, delivered them to another planet. Sam
>> determines that the gate has been programmed to deflect humans to
>> another gate, but she soon overcomes that obstacle. When they
>> investigate P3DX584 they find a laboratory with a human-like being in
>> stasis. Mitchell re-animates him, much to Daniel's annoyance, and they
>> take him back to the SGC infirmary. Daniel goes through the lab's
>> computer and determines that the man they found, named Khalek, was made
>> by Anubis from his own DNA. Daniel argues for his immediate destruction
>> but is overruled when Richard Woolsey arrives, insisting that Khalek be
>> studied, not destroyed."
>>
>> Agent Richard Woolsey: All we have heard is that the Ori *must* be
>> taken more seriously than the Goa'uld, that the Priors who represent
>> them are extremely powerful and dangerous in their own right. And yet,
>> in the months since this threat emerged, not one proposed
>> countermeasure, not one shred of technology, not even so much as a
>> theory or strategy to fight these missionaries has resulted from ongoing
>> Stargate operations until now. And you want to freeze him.
>> Major General Hank Landry: Go, go, you're on a roll.
>
> Is anybody else amazed that Richard Woolsey never met with an accident?
> Especially on Atlantis when it would be so easy to fall over one of those
> balconies. Hell, I’d have had him shot just for bringing that goddamn
> conference table to another galaxy.
>
> I wonder if Sam knows how to program the Stargate so that four people go in
> and only three come out?

She probably could figure out how to do that but it would be a random three.

>> Commentary: EP Robert Cooper and writer Alan McCullough. This was
>> McCullough's first Stargate script and there is a lot of discussion
>> about how he learned to write for the show. Cooper mentions DeLuise in
>> a not exactly complimentary way. Makes me think DeLuise won't be
>> allowed to do ANY commentaries anymore. We'll have to see. But he does
>> say DeLuise is a good director.
>>

>> What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ub8rka$1g7om$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198223&group=rec.arts.tv#198223

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 13:55:38 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:55 UTC

On 8/12/2023 1:01 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 8/12/2023 12:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S9E09 'Prototype' - DVD
>>> "After receiving information that a new black hole may be forming, Sam
>>> leads SG-5 on a mission to P3X584 to gather information on the
>>> phenomenon. They're soon back, however, as the gate, despite having
>>> dialed the correct address, delivered them to another planet. Sam
>>> determines that the gate has been programmed to deflect humans to
>>> another gate, but she soon overcomes that obstacle. When they
>>> investigate P3DX584 they find a laboratory with a human-like being in
>>> stasis. Mitchell re-animates him, much to Daniel's annoyance, and they
>>> take him back to the SGC infirmary. Daniel goes through the lab's
>>> computer and determines that the man they found, named Khalek, was made
>>> by Anubis from his own DNA. Daniel argues for his immediate destruction
>>> but is overruled when Richard Woolsey arrives, insisting that Khalek be
>>> studied, not destroyed."
>>>
>>>      Agent Richard Woolsey: All we have heard is that the Ori *must* be
>>> taken more seriously than the Goa'uld, that the Priors who represent
>>> them are extremely powerful and dangerous in their own right. And yet,
>>> in the months since this threat emerged, not one proposed
>>> countermeasure, not one shred of technology, not even so much as a
>>> theory or strategy to fight these missionaries has resulted from ongoing
>>> Stargate operations until now. And you want to freeze him.
>>>      Major General Hank Landry: Go, go, you're on a roll.
>>
>> Is anybody else amazed that Richard Woolsey never met with an accident?
>> Especially on Atlantis when it would be so easy to fall over one of those
>> balconies. Hell, I’d have had him shot just for bringing that goddamn
>> conference table to another galaxy.
>>
>> I wonder if Sam knows how to program the Stargate so that four people
>> go in
>> and only three come out?
>>
> She probably could figure out how to do that but it would be a random
> three.

Not if it's programed by order of entrance...

>>> Commentary: EP Robert Cooper and writer Alan McCullough.  This was
>>> McCullough's first Stargate script and there is a lot of discussion
>>> about how he learned to write for the show.  Cooper mentions DeLuise in
>>> a not exactly complimentary way.  Makes me think DeLuise won't be
>>> allowed to do ANY commentaries anymore.  We'll have to see.  But he does
>>> say DeLuise is a good director.
>>>

>>> What Did You Watch?

I watched a box set of 5 movies from Charles Band's Empire Pictures.
The movies were:

The Dungeonmaster (blu-ray) 1984 fantasy horror movie. This was a
favorite of mine and watched it all the time when I was a kid. The plot
is a little had to explain, but basically Jeffrey Bryon stars as a
computer expert and he and his girlfriend get kidnapped by an evil
wizard (Richard Moll) who forces them to go through 7 different
challenges for their freedom. Each challenge is directed by someone
different and is a completely different horror story that they have to
survive. The disc contained 3 different cuts of the movie. This was my
first time watching the extended cut of the movie. And it had a
commentary with the star of the movie.

Dolls (blu-ray) - 1987 horror movie about killer dolls. This was
basically Puppet Master but with dolls instead of puppets. I saw it
once before and it was OK. It held up well enough. I watched with
commentary from the director (Stuart Gordon) and writer. I have a bunch
more Stuart Gordon movies I'll be watching, including "From Beyond"
which on the commentary the director said both movies were shot on the
same sets. They also said the Empire people kept saying that they
wanted the movie to be more like "Re-animator" with more blood and guts.

Cellar Dweller (blu-ray) 1988 horror movie directed by John Carl
Buechler, and written by Don Mancini. I had never heard of this movie
before and was shocked when the movie started, and Jeffrey Combs was on
screen. The movie opens with Combs playing a comic artist who draws a
monster killing a woman. Then after "accidentally" reading from what is
clearly a satanic book, to his surprise the monster and woman appear
before him. The monster kills the woman and goes after him, but he
manages to set the monster on fire. Then flash forward 30 years, and a
woman shows up looking to find out what happened 30 years earlier and
after also reading from the same clearly satanic evil book discovers
that what she draws starts to come to life. Except the drawings don't
actually need her to draw them first. Not a bad movie. I'm surprised
that I never heard of it before now.

Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.

Robot Jox (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie directed by Stuart Gordon. One of
Empire Picture's last movies and their biggest budget flick. Empire
Pictures went bankrupt during the making of the movie. It stars Gary
Graham as the pilot of a giant robot in a post-apocalyptic future where
fights between giant robots are used to settle disputes between
countries. Of course, Jeffrey combs pops up in a blink and you miss it
cameo. I watched it with the director's commentary. The movie holds up
very well. A couple of interesting tidbits from the commentary, Stuart
said Vanessa Williams auditioned (for the role that went to Anne-Marie
Johnson) and would have been cast but her manager forced her to drop out
because he didn't want her starring in a "junky sci-fi movie." And Jean
Claude Van Damme was dating an actress who auditioned, but Stuart didn't
bother to audition him because he was a kickboxer and audiences wouldn't
be interested in seeing a movie with a kickboxer. Stuart said he's
never going to live that down.
Another tidbit from the commentary is in a scene he pointed out that
Anne-Marie is clearly taller than Gary Graham, but when they gave him
their resumes Gary's said he was 6' and Anne-Marie said she was 5'11 so
clearly they lied on their resumes about their actual heights. Or at
least one of them did.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<73858468.713567740.425862.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198227&group=rec.arts.tv#198227

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 14:39:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:39 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/12/2023 9:42 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...
>>
> It was REALLY HOT where I am yesterday.... :P

And by that you mean “balmy”

It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<93723710.713567784.078650.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198228&group=rec.arts.tv#198228

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 14:39:12 -0700

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 8/12/2023 1:01 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> Is anybody else amazed that Richard Woolsey never met with an accident?
>>> Especially on Atlantis when it would be so easy to fall over one of those
>>> balconies. Hell, I’d have had him shot just for bringing that goddamn
>>> conference table to another galaxy.
>>>
>>> I wonder if Sam knows how to program the Stargate so that four people
>>> go in
>>> and only three come out?
>>>
>> She probably could figure out how to do that but it would be a random
>> three.
>>

> Not if it's programed by order of entrance...

Or hair.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub916a$1h56t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198235&group=rec.arts.tv#198235

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:30:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:30 UTC

On 8/12/2023 2:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 8/12/2023 9:42 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> Fixing the header, which I didn't notice for my followup...
>>>
>> It was REALLY HOT where I am yesterday.... :P
>>

> And by that you mean “balmy”
>
> It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!

Homes around here are not routinely built with air conditioning because
up until a few years ago we could go entire years without the
temperature going above 80F. And you basically can't retrofit A/C to
apartments because the buildings weren't built with them in mind. So
getting over 90 here is a big problem.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<atropos-1E4530.15414912082023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198236&group=rec.arts.tv#198236

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:41:49 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:41 UTC

In article <ub916a$1h56t$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 8/12/2023 2:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> >>>
> >> It was REALLY HOT where I am yesterday.... :P
> >>

> > And by that you mean “balmy”
> >
> > It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!
> >
> Homes around here are not routinely built with air conditioning because
> up until a few years ago we could go entire years without the
> temperature going above 80F. And you basically can't retrofit A/C to
> apartments because the buildings weren't built with them in mind. So
> getting over 90 here is a big problem.

After being overcast and gray for most of the week, it was 68 here
yesterday, cloudy, and managed to even rain for an hour or so in
midafternoon.

This is not what the brochures promised me about SoCal summers by the
beach.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<i04gditabu1hehhq359bi6h9l8v5tglg71@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198240&group=rec.arts.tv#198240

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:07:17 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:07 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:41:49 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <ub916a$1h56t$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> > And by that you mean “balmy”
>> >
>> > It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!
>> >
>> Homes around here are not routinely built with air conditioning because
>> up until a few years ago we could go entire years without the
>> temperature going above 80F. And you basically can't retrofit A/C to
>> apartments because the buildings weren't built with them in mind. So
>> getting over 90 here is a big problem.
>
>After being overcast and gray for most of the week, it was 68 here
>yesterday, cloudy, and managed to even rain for an hour or so in
>midafternoon.
>
>This is not what the brochures promised me about SoCal summers by the
>beach.

For us it's been warmer than usual with more days in the mid to upper
90s but otherwise not that far off the norm. Though we do seem to be
getting more rain this month. Usually it's one of the drier months but
so we've had a few hours of rain each day for the last three days
including today. It's put off the scheduling of them resealing the
parking lot as they need it to be dry before doing their work.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ub9l9f$18e0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198265&group=rec.arts.tv#198265

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:13:34 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 04:13 UTC

On 8/12/2023 3:30 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 8/12/2023 2:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>> It was REALLY HOT where I am yesterday....  :P
>>>

>> And by that you mean “balmy”
>>
>> It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!
>>
> Homes around here are not routinely built with air conditioning because
> up until a few years ago we could go entire years without the
> temperature going above 80F.  And you basically can't retrofit A/C to
> apartments because the buildings weren't built with them in mind.  So
> getting over 90 here is a big problem.

Same here. The central basin of WA and eastern OR/S Idaho get that hot,
and has for decades, but not so much west of the Cascades. N ID will get
up to 90, but usually not above it. At least the last month or so it's
hot for about 5 days, then cools off for 5 days, and repeat. We're
coming off a cooler spell and by Monday it's going to be 90+ all next week.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ubatu0$224m$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198288&group=rec.arts.tv#198288

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 08:47:08 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 15:47 UTC

On 8/12/2023 3:41 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ub916a$1h56t$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> And by that you mean “balmy”
>>>
>>> It’s only going to get to 103°F here today!
>>>
>> Homes around here are not routinely built with air conditioning because
>> up until a few years ago we could go entire years without the
>> temperature going above 80F. And you basically can't retrofit A/C to
>> apartments because the buildings weren't built with them in mind. So
>> getting over 90 here is a big problem.
>
> After being overcast and gray for most of the week, it was 68 here
> yesterday, cloudy, and managed to even rain for an hour or so in
> midafternoon.
>
> This is not what the brochures promised me about SoCal summers by the
> beach.
> You don't get June Gloom that extends into July?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<130820231723194878%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198340&group=rec.arts.tv#198340

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:23:19 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:23 UTC

In article <ub8rka$1g7om$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
> distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
> various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
> another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
> few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
> and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
> 80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
> in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
> fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.

This was originally an sf story (by Fredric Brown, IIRC) and, at one
point, was adapted into that Trek Classic episode about Kirk's fight
with the Gorn.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<515254500.713674296.255175.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198387&group=rec.arts.tv#198387

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:32:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:32 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <ub8rka$1g7om$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
>> distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
>> various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
>> another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
>> few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
>> and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
>> 80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
>> in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
>> fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.
>

> This was originally an sf story (by Fredric Brown, IIRC) and, at one
> point, was adapted into that Trek Classic episode about Kirk's fight
> with the Gorn.

Sort of. While the outer limits version began life as a straightforward
adaptation of Brown, supposedly the Star Trek version was a freestanding
script that somebody noticed was a little too close to Brown (or possibly
the aforementioned Outer limits.) so they bought the rights to keep it
legal.

What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<UBI20230811@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198405&group=rec.arts.tv#198405

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:30:39 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

Why Do Disney Movies SUCK? Insider Leaks INSANE Details Explaining WHY
Disney is Self Destructing!:
Everyone knows that Disney movies and TV shows suck these days, but the
reasons WHY Disney projects fail so spectacularly has been clouded in
confusion and rumor for years - how can it be that Disney consistently
FAILS? Well wonder no more my friends! My Hollywood spies conducted an
interview with a CGI artist who has worked for Disney, Marvel and/or
Lucasfilm, and this source leaked INSANE alleged details about Disney's
production techniques that explain not only why all the CGI is so
terrible these days, but also bigger details that explain why Disney is
doomed to make the same horrible mistakes over and over again! THIS is
the must-see interview you've been WAITING for! I salute my Hollywood
spies for bringing us this remarkable and candid interview, though of
course as always I present it as rumor, and ask you to please take it
with a grain of salt! #disney #marvel #lucasfilm
https://youtu.be/qNIWpj9kV_A

The Ultimate Adults-Only Atari 2600 Tier List - ALL MATURE 18+ GAMES
RANKED:
Welcome to a journey through a lesser-known facet of gaming history! In
this captivating video, we delve into the realm of mature 18+ games that
were released for the iconic Atari VCS (aka Atari 2600).
https://youtu.be/XjJ2gqZNpls

10 Worst FAILED Fast Food Chain Restaurants That No One Misses:
0:00 Worst FAILED Fast Food Chain Restaurants That No One Misses
0:15 White Tower Hamburgers
1:44 Pup 'N' Taco
3:19 D'Lites
4:35 Chicken George
5:38 Mighty Casey's
6:40 Doggie Diner
7:46 Burger Chef
9:11 Naugles
10:39 Henry's Hamburgers
11:50 Druther's
https://youtu.be/rxnnyHtkJfQ

THE PROOF IS OUT THERE:
"Mystery Sea Beast, the Earth is Alive and Shapeshifting UFO". What is
the mysterious sea beast seen from the shore of a small seaside town in
the UK? Are summoners able to commune with UFOs? Were a field of massive
mysterious jars made by giants? And the ground seems to be breathing. Is
the earth alive? Tony Harris and his team of experts examine the clues
and make a determination about the validity of what we're seeing.

THE PROOF IS OUT THERE:
"Hairy Serpents, South Pole Nazis and the Horrible Blob". What is this
serpent like creature caught on camera and why does it have green hair?
Is the discovery of an ancient antenna found beneath the waters of
Antarctica proof that the Nazis once colonized the south pole? Are these
large boulders in Death Valley able to move by themselves? And did a man
find a gelatinous alien life form on his kitchen floor? Tony Harris and
his team of experts dive into these claims to find the truth.

THE PROOF IS OUT THERE:
"UFO Lead, Bigfoot Films, and Lost City in the Gulf of Mexico". Is the
latest video leak from the Department of Homeland Security more evidence
that UFOs really exist? Did one of the world's most respected Bigfoot
researchers capture footage that proves Sasquatch is no myth? Are
seemingly anachronistic works of art the product of time travelers? And
did an amateur archeologist really discover a lost, sunken city off the
coast of Louisiana? Tony and his team of experts examine the evidence to
find the truth.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<140820230928557348%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198433&group=rec.arts.tv#198433

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:28:55 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:28 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <ub8rka$1g7om$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> > <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
> >> distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
> >> various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
> >> another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
> >> few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
> >> and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
> >> 80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
> >> in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
> >> fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.
> >

> > This was originally an sf story (by Fredric Brown, IIRC) and, at one
> > point, was adapted into that Trek Classic episode about Kirk's fight
> > with the Gorn.
> >

> Sort of. While the outer limits version began life as a straightforward
> adaptation of Brown, supposedly the Star Trek version was a freestanding
> script that somebody noticed was a little too close to Brown (or possibly
> the aforementioned Outer limits.) so they bought the rights to keep it
> legal.

Thanks.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)

<ubfmu1$2pskn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198514&group=rec.arts.tv#198514

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <130820231723194878%nope@noway.com>, nope@noway.com wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
>> distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
>> various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
>> another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
>> few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
>> and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
>> 80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
>> in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
>> fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.
>
>This was originally an sf story (by Fredric Brown, IIRC) and, at one
>point, was adapted into that Trek Classic episode about Kirk's fight
>with the Gorn.

It reminded me more of "Taskmasters of Tritheroen" to me.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Friday)

<ublk1t$3rm35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198801&group=rec.arts.tv#198801

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 04:30:41 -0400

In article <ub8rka$1g7om$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>I watched a box set of 5 movies from Charles Band's Empire Pictures.
>The movies were:
>
>The Dungeonmaster (blu-ray) 1984 fantasy horror movie. This was a
>favorite of mine and watched it all the time when I was a kid. The plot
>is a little had to explain, but basically Jeffrey Bryon stars as a
>computer expert and he and his girlfriend get kidnapped by an evil
>wizard (Richard Moll) who forces them to go through 7 different
>challenges for their freedom. Each challenge is directed by someone
>different and is a completely different horror story that they have to
>survive. The disc contained 3 different cuts of the movie. This was my
>first time watching the extended cut of the movie. And it had a
>commentary with the star of the movie.

How was it extended?
Anything interesting on the commentary?

>Dolls (blu-ray) - 1987 horror movie about killer dolls. This was
>basically Puppet Master but with dolls instead of puppets. I saw it
>once before and it was OK. It held up well enough. I watched with
>commentary from the director (Stuart Gordon) and writer. I have a bunch
>more Stuart Gordon movies I'll be watching, including "From Beyond"
>which on the commentary the director said both movies were shot on the
>same sets. They also said the Empire people kept saying that they
>wanted the movie to be more like "Re-animator" with more blood and guts.

What's the diff between a doll and puppet?

>Cellar Dweller (blu-ray) 1988 horror movie directed by John Carl
>Buechler, and written by Don Mancini. I had never heard of this movie
>before and was shocked when the movie started, and Jeffrey Combs was on
>screen. The movie opens with Combs playing a comic artist who draws a
>monster killing a woman. Then after "accidentally" reading from what is
>clearly a satanic book, to his surprise the monster and woman appear
>before him. The monster kills the woman and goes after him, but he
>manages to set the monster on fire. Then flash forward 30 years, and a
>woman shows up looking to find out what happened 30 years earlier and
>after also reading from the same clearly satanic evil book discovers
>that what she draws starts to come to life. Except the drawings don't
>actually need her to draw them first. Not a bad movie. I'm surprised
>that I never heard of it before now.

I think I saw aprt of it on Shout TV once.

>Arena (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie set on an alien space station in the
>distant future about a human (Paul Satterfield) who competes against
>various aliens in an intergalactic fighting competition. This was
>another movie that I somehow never heard of before now. The cast has a
>few recognizable names/faces with Claudia Christian from B5, Marc Aliamo
>and Armin Shimerman from DS9. It's very low budget, but back in the
>80s, they made up for that by keeping the story interesting. Although
>in this case the story is very much paint by numbers. Underdog human
>fights aliens who outmatch him yet wins anyway.

Rocky in space!

>Robot Jox (blu-ray) 1989 sci-fi movie directed by Stuart Gordon. One of
>Empire Picture's last movies and their biggest budget flick. Empire
>Pictures went bankrupt during the making of the movie. It stars Gary
>Graham as the pilot of a giant robot in a post-apocalyptic future where
>fights between giant robots are used to settle disputes between
>countries. Of course, Jeffrey combs pops up in a blink and you miss it
>cameo. I watched it with the director's commentary. The movie holds up
>very well. A couple of interesting tidbits from the commentary, Stuart
>said Vanessa Williams auditioned (for the role that went to Anne-Marie
>Johnson) and would have been cast but her manager forced her to drop out
>because he didn't want her starring in a "junky sci-fi movie." And Jean
>Claude Van Damme was dating an actress who auditioned, but Stuart didn't
>bother to audition him because he was a kickboxer and audiences wouldn't
>be interested in seeing a movie with a kickboxer. Stuart said he's
>never going to live that down.
>Another tidbit from the commentary is in a scene he pointed out that
>Anne-Marie is clearly taller than Gary Graham, but when they gave him
>their resumes Gary's said he was 6' and Anne-Marie said she was 5'11 so
>clearly they lied on their resumes about their actual heights. Or at
>least one of them did.

They play the new MST3K with this one a lot.

--
Let's go Brandon!

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-11 (Fryday)