Wisdom is rarely found on the best-seller list.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

SubjectAuthor
* Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerFrank Howell
+* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starlinerbfh
|`- Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerFrank Howell
+* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerGeorge.Anthony
|`* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerFrank Howell
| +- Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starlinerbfh
| +- Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerGeorge.Anthony
| `- Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starlinerbfh
`* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starlinerjerry.osage
 `* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerGeorge.Anthony
  `* Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starlinerjerry.osage
   `- Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on StarlinerGeorge.Anthony

1
Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<7uxwM.249471$AsA.10384@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19812&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19812

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@usermail.com (Frank Howell)
Subject: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:06:18 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:06 UTC

Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on June
1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds of
feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be flammable.

This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
during the second quarter of this year.

Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract, as
part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any cost
overruns and financial losses due to delays.

https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
--
Frank Howell

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<IUywM.128680$Fgta.43324@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19813&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19813

Subject: Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:42:47 -0400
 by: bfh - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds
> of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be
> flammable.
>
> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
> during the second quarter of this year.
>
> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract,
> as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any
> cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e

So....look....at the end of the day going forward, does the calculus
of that indicate that Boeing will literally be.....like....self-held
accountable within a statistically significant passage of time?

--
bill

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<u9uh88$1v5j5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19815&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19815

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:41:02 -0500
 by: George.Anthony - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 19:41 UTC

On 7/27/2023 12:06 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on June
> 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds of
> feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be flammable.
>
> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
> during the second quarter of this year.
>
> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract, as
> part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any cost
> overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e

Maybe they should hire Elon as a consultant.
--
NAGA Dimocrats are the diseased who are infecting the entire country
with insanity.

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<vpk5cidki5t3j9ltk7ik9rfe7gruv1jar3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19817&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19817

From: jerry.os...@nospam.net
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:03:18 -0500
 by: jerry.os...@nospam.net - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:03 UTC

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:06:18 -0700, Frank Howell
<fphowell@usermail.com> wrote:

>Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on June
>1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
>involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
>capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds of
>feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be flammable.
>
>This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>during the second quarter of this year.
>
>Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract, as
>part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any cost
>overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>
>https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e

"Nine years ago, when NASA down-selected to Boeing and SpaceX to
provide crew transportation services to the space station, Boeing was
considered the prohibitive favorite to deliver first for NASA.
However, SpaceX will launch its seventh operational mission and eighth
overall crew mission for NASA next month."

Asked whether Starliner might be able to launch this year, Stich,
NASA's Commercial Crew program manager, did not offer a concrete
timetable. "We're not really ready to talk about a launch opportunity
yet," he said. "We're going to work the technical issues first, and
then we'll sit down with the Boeing team when the time is right and
pick a launch target."

Having a "Cost +" attitude where delays and cost overruns are a good
thing doesn't fly (excuse the pun) with a "Fixed Price Contract". I
suspect that the Starliner's Tech will be verging on obsolete by the
time it flies.

The wrapping tape not tested until the wiring bundles are wrapped and
installed is definitely a "Cost +" attitude.

Go SpaceX!

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<u9v9u4$25945$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19820&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19820

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:42:18 -0500
 by: George.Anthony - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:42 UTC

On 7/27/2023 4:03 PM, jerry.osage@nospam.net wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:06:18 -0700, Frank Howell
> <fphowell@usermail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on June
>> 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
>> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
>> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds of
>> feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be flammable.
>>
>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>> during the second quarter of this year.
>>
>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract, as
>> part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any cost
>> overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>>
> "Nine years ago, when NASA down-selected to Boeing and SpaceX to
> provide crew transportation services to the space station, Boeing was
> considered the prohibitive favorite to deliver first for NASA.
> However, SpaceX will launch its seventh operational mission and eighth
> overall crew mission for NASA next month."
>
> Asked whether Starliner might be able to launch this year, Stich,
> NASA's Commercial Crew program manager, did not offer a concrete
> timetable. "We're not really ready to talk about a launch opportunity
> yet," he said. "We're going to work the technical issues first, and
> then we'll sit down with the Boeing team when the time is right and
> pick a launch target."
>
> Having a "Cost +" attitude where delays and cost overruns are a good
> thing doesn't fly (excuse the pun) with a "Fixed Price Contract". I
> suspect that the Starliner's Tech will be verging on obsolete by the
> time it flies.
>
> The wrapping tape not tested until the wiring bundles are wrapped and
> installed is definitely a "Cost +" attitude.
>
> Go SpaceX!

The old culture at Boeing definitely cost them in this instance. I don't
know why they agreed to a fixed cost deal when cost + had been a winner
for them. Maybe they felt they had to bite the bullet to compete with
Space X for the business.

You can't just change a decades old culture overnight. It's like trying
to do a U-turn with an aircraft carrier in a pond. Probably can be done
but it would take a lot of maneuvering.
--
NAGA Dimocrats are the diseased who are infecting the entire country
with insanity.

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<83f6cihnqi9d12lkbjs5e8t0rcad1bjj7c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19821&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19821

From: jerry.os...@nospam.net
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 23:09:53 -0500
 by: jerry.os...@nospam.net - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 04:09 UTC

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:42:18 -0500, "George.Anthony"
<ganthony@gmail.org> wrote:

>On 7/27/2023 4:03 PM, jerry.osage@nospam.net wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:06:18 -0700, Frank Howell
>> <fphowell@usermail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on June
>>> 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
>>> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
>>> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds of
>>> feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be flammable.
>>>
>>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>>> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>>> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>>> during the second quarter of this year.
>>>
>>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract, as
>>> part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any cost
>>> overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>>>
>> "Nine years ago, when NASA down-selected to Boeing and SpaceX to
>> provide crew transportation services to the space station, Boeing was
>> considered the prohibitive favorite to deliver first for NASA.
>> However, SpaceX will launch its seventh operational mission and eighth
>> overall crew mission for NASA next month."
>>
>> Asked whether Starliner might be able to launch this year, Stich,
>> NASA's Commercial Crew program manager, did not offer a concrete
>> timetable. "We're not really ready to talk about a launch opportunity
>> yet," he said. "We're going to work the technical issues first, and
>> then we'll sit down with the Boeing team when the time is right and
>> pick a launch target."
>>
>> Having a "Cost +" attitude where delays and cost overruns are a good
>> thing doesn't fly (excuse the pun) with a "Fixed Price Contract". I
>> suspect that the Starliner's Tech will be verging on obsolete by the
>> time it flies.
>>
>> The wrapping tape not tested until the wiring bundles are wrapped and
>> installed is definitely a "Cost +" attitude.
>>
>> Go SpaceX!
>
>The old culture at Boeing definitely cost them in this instance. I don't
>know why they agreed to a fixed cost deal when cost + had been a winner
>for them. Maybe they felt they had to bite the bullet to compete with
>Space X for the business.
>
>You can't just change a decades old culture overnight. It's like trying
>to do a U-turn with an aircraft carrier in a pond. Probably can be done
>but it would take a lot of maneuvering.

OI suspect that they thought that SpaceX was going to fail and they
would have a head start when a new player was brought in. And, with
SpaceX failing it would prove just what a difficult task it was going
to be - and Boeing could renegotiate their contract.

Big, old companies are management heavy and are slow from start to
finish. SpaceX probably had a prototype nearing completion while
Boeing was still deciding who was going to manage what.

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<ua0mhi$297nh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19822&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19822

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:23:30 -0500
 by: George.Anthony - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 15:23 UTC

On 7/27/2023 11:09 PM, jerry.osage@nospam.net wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:42:18 -0500, "George.Anthony"
> <ganthony@gmail.org> wrote:
>
>> On 7/27/2023 4:03 PM, jerry.osage@nospam.net wrote:

>>> "Nine years ago, when NASA down-selected to Boeing and SpaceX to
>>> provide crew transportation services to the space station, Boeing was
>>> considered the prohibitive favorite to deliver first for NASA.
>>> However, SpaceX will launch its seventh operational mission and eighth
>>> overall crew mission for NASA next month."
>>>
>>> Asked whether Starliner might be able to launch this year, Stich,
>>> NASA's Commercial Crew program manager, did not offer a concrete
>>> timetable. "We're not really ready to talk about a launch opportunity
>>> yet," he said. "We're going to work the technical issues first, and
>>> then we'll sit down with the Boeing team when the time is right and
>>> pick a launch target."
>>>
>>> Having a "Cost +" attitude where delays and cost overruns are a good
>>> thing doesn't fly (excuse the pun) with a "Fixed Price Contract". I
>>> suspect that the Starliner's Tech will be verging on obsolete by the
>>> time it flies.
>>>
>>> The wrapping tape not tested until the wiring bundles are wrapped and
>>> installed is definitely a "Cost +" attitude.
>>>
>>> Go SpaceX!
>>
>> The old culture at Boeing definitely cost them in this instance. I don't
>> know why they agreed to a fixed cost deal when cost + had been a winner
>> for them. Maybe they felt they had to bite the bullet to compete with
>> Space X for the business.
>>
>> You can't just change a decades old culture overnight. It's like trying
>> to do a U-turn with an aircraft carrier in a pond. Probably can be done
>> but it would take a lot of maneuvering.
>>
> OI suspect that they thought that SpaceX was going to fail and they
> would have a head start when a new player was brought in. And, with
> SpaceX failing it would prove just what a difficult task it was going
> to be - and Boeing could renegotiate their contract.
>
> Big, old companies are management heavy and are slow from start to
> finish.

Kinda' like our government. Actually a lot like our government.

SpaceX probably had a prototype nearing completion while
> Boeing was still deciding who was going to manage what.

--
NAGA Dimocrats are the diseased who are infecting the entire country
with insanity.

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<mpgxM.274584$AsA.272702@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19841&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19841

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@usermail.com (Frank Howell)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:29:49 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:29 UTC

bfh wrote:
> Frank Howell wrote:
>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
>> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
>> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
>> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds
>> of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be
>> flammable.
>>
>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>> during the second quarter of this year.
>>
>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract,
>> as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any
>> cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>
> So....look....at the end of the day going forward, does the calculus of
> that indicate that Boeing will literally be.....like....self-held
> accountable within a statistically significant passage of time?

Well if fixed contract means what it says, then yes.

--
Frank Howell

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<_pgxM.274585$AsA.266728@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19842&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19842

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: fphow...@usermail.com (Frank Howell)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:30:29 -0700
 by: Frank Howell - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:30 UTC

George.Anthony wrote:
> On 7/27/2023 12:06 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
>> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of these
>> involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the Starliner
>> capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with hundreds
>> of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft found to be
>> flammable.
>>
>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>> during the second quarter of this year.
>>
>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract,
>> as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any
>> cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>
> Maybe they should hire Elon as a consultant.
What due to his Twitter prowess?

--
Frank Howell

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<dAhxM.134674$ens9.69494@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19843&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19843

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 19:49:28 -0400
 by: bfh - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:49 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> George.Anthony wrote:
>> On 7/27/2023 12:06 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
>>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
>>> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of
>>> these involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the
>>> Starliner capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came
>>> with hundreds of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the
>>> spacecraft found to be flammable.
>>>
>>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the
>>> Starliner program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of
>>> this, Boeing's Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss
>>> of $527 million during the second quarter of this year.
>>>
>>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price
>>> contract, as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is
>>> responsible for any cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>>
>> Maybe they should hire Elon as a consultant.
> What due to  his Twitter prowess?

Since we're talking about rockets, we should probably talk about
rockets, and Elon has gotten many more rockets off the ground this
year than ULA. However comma if you insist on tweets as a metric, I'll
bet Elon has launched many more tweets this year than ULA, too.

--
bill

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<ua4ada$2o1b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19846&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19846

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 19:21:01 -0500
 by: George.Anthony - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 00:21 UTC

On 7/29/2023 5:30 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
> George.Anthony wrote:
>> On 7/27/2023 12:06 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
>>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
>>> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of
>>> these involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the
>>> Starliner capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came with
>>> hundreds of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the spacecraft
>>> found to be flammable.
>>>
>>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the Starliner
>>> program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of this, Boeing's
>>> Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss of $527 million
>>> during the second quarter of this year.
>>>
>>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price contract,
>>> as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is responsible for any
>>> cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>>
>> Maybe they should hire Elon as a consultant.
> What due to  his Twitter prowess?

Is that the best you can do?
--
NAGA Dimocrats are the diseased who are infecting the entire country
with insanity.

Re: Boeing has now lost $1.1 billion on Starliner

<PVCxM.26181$O8ab.19723@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19855&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#19855

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:06:07 -0400
 by: bfh - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 00:06 UTC

Frank Howell wrote:
> George.Anthony wrote:
>> On 7/27/2023 12:06 PM, Frank Howell wrote:
>>> Just weeks before this launch was due to occur, Boeing announced on
>>> June 1 that there were two serious issues with Starliner. One of
>>> these involved the "soft links" in the lines that connect the
>>> Starliner capsule to its parachutes, and the second problem came
>>> with hundreds of feet of P-213 glass cloth tape inside the
>>> spacecraft found to be flammable.
>>>
>>> This brings the company's total write-down of losses on the
>>> Starliner program to more than $1.1 billion. Partly because of
>>> this, Boeing's Defense, Space, & Security division reported a loss
>>> of $527 million during the second quarter of this year.
>>>
>>> Because Starliner was funded by NASA through a fixed-price
>>> contract, as part of the Commercial Crew program, Boeing is
>>> responsible for any cost overruns and financial losses due to delays.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/mr34pf6e
>>
>> Maybe they should hire Elon as a consultant.
> What due to  his Twitter prowess?

This is how Twitterman.....oops......I mean Xman does it:
https://youtu.be/HisrxVNaePY?t=4701

--
bill