From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Latin adjective for "eighth" - as in middle name for a son
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:56:21 -0000
 by: NY - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:56 UTC

I've seen a reference to two men who were twins. One has the middle name
Octavius and the other has the middle name Nonus. I imagine they were
eighth- and ninth-born sons.

They were both killed in WWI and some newspaper reports or dedications on
church windows spell the name Octavius and others spell it Octavus. Which is
correct? Octavius occurs in more places and so may be the name that the
parents actually gave (christened) him - but did they spell it correctly?
Did the person who spelled it Octavus on a stained-glass window actually
change it to the correct Latin?

My knowledge of Latin is very rusty: I was never any good at it and I've
forgotten most of the little that I knew. For some reason I had a complete
mental block with Latin, whereas I found French and German a lot easier.

Re: Latin adjective for "eighth" - as in middle name for a son

<sluma5$idq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202&group=alt.language.latin#202

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 19:00:47 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 19:00 UTC

NY wrote:
> I've seen a reference to two men who were twins. One has the middle name
> Octavius and the other has the middle name Nonus. I imagine they were
> eighth- and ninth-born sons.
>
> They were both killed in WWI and some newspaper reports or dedications
> on church windows spell the name Octavius and others spell it Octavus.
> Which is correct? Octavius occurs in more places and so may be the name
> that the parents actually gave (christened) him - but did they spell it
> correctly? Did the person who spelled it Octavus on a stained-glass
> window actually change it to the correct Latin?
>
> My knowledge of Latin is very rusty: I was never any good at it and I've
> forgotten most of the little that I knew. For some reason I had a
> complete mental block with Latin, whereas I found French and German a
> lot easier.

Octavus is correct Latin for "eighth". But I think I can see how
"Octavius" comes into the mix, because it was the family name of Rome's
first emperor, Augustus Caesar. He was the adopted son and heir of
Julius Caesar, and when JC got assassinated he did a right imperial job
of revenge. It's quite difficult to find another emperor who did better
than he did, at least under Roman eyes of what doing well means.

Ed