From: scie...@danwin1210.de (Scientific (she/they) ⚧)
Newsgroups: alt.america,alt.transgendered,soc.support.transgendered,alt.politics,alt.atheism,alt.support.suicide
Subject: Re: So everyone please call me he or him...
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:21:00 +0000
 by: Scientific (she/they - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:21 UTC

On 4/4/22 20:03, KWills wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:02:00 +0000, Scientific (he/him) ?
> <science@danwin1210.de> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I am experimenting with an extra pronoun: them! If you want to
>> refer me here in your electronic mail letters or Usenet articles, please
>> use either she/her or they/them.
>>
>> If you wonder why I'm throwing "they" in the sack of my pronouns, read
>> this article: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/they-them-questions-answered
>
> You're delusional. Only women get to be 'she'. 'They' is plural.

'They' can be also used in a singular form - and in fact, it has been so
since 14th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

It hasn't been until 21st century when it had started to be used by
transgender people. Language is evolving all the time - you just have
seen in the last few years how people started going with (he/him),
(she/her) and (she/they) in my case in their "From" headers.

I wonder how software would handle person's gender and pronouns if
transgender issues were more prominent in early days of computing
(1950s-1970s).