interests / alt.obituaries / Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

SubjectAuthor
* [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)danny burstein
+- Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)A Friend
`* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)David Carson
 +* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)Kenny McCormack
 |`* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)A Friend
 | `* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)David Carson
 |  +* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)danny burstein
 |  |`- Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)A Friend
 |  `- Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)A Friend
 `* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)Louis Epstein
  `* Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)David Carson
   +- Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)Kenny McCormack
   `- Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)Louis Epstein

1
[media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<Pine.NEB.4.64.2401191759060.28828@panix1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20791&group=alt.obituaries#20791

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59:21 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59 UTC

[Front Office Sports, whatever that is]

Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
By A.J. Perez
UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm

The Arena Group, which publishes SI, recently missed a $2.8 million payment
to SI's license holder, Authentic, leading Authentic to sever the deal.

On Friday, Arena laid off all employees working for the 70-year media
company.
=======
rest:
https://frontofficesports.com/sports-illustrateds-publisher-lays-off-entire-staff-future-unclear/

dannyb@panix.com

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<190120241456562285%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20793&group=alt.obituaries#20793

Subject: Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:56:56 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:56 UTC

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2401191759060.28828@panix1.panix.com>, danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> [Front Office Sports, whatever that is]
>
> Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
> By A.J. Perez
> UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm
>
> The Arena Group, which publishes SI, recently missed a $2.8 million
> payment
> to SI's license holder, Authentic, leading Authentic to sever the deal.
>
> On Friday, Arena laid off all employees working for the 70-year media
> company.
> =======
> rest:
>
> https://frontofficesports.com/sports-illustrateds-publisher-lays-off-entire-st
> aff-future-unclear/

This is what they get for not having hired me in 1973. Vengeance is
mine! Bwah ha ha!

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uof11k$3blr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20797&group=alt.obituaries#20797

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:36:09 -0600
 by: David Carson - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:36 UTC

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59:21 +0000, danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
wrote:

>[Front Office Sports, whatever that is]
>
>Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
>By A.J. Perez
>UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm

'I Just Don't Know Where We Went Wrong,' Contemplates Sports Illustrated
Executive In Front Of Framed Covers Of Obese, Trans Swimsuit Models
https://babylonbee.com/news/i-just-dont-know-where-we-went-wrong-contemplates-sports-illustrated-ceo-in-front-of-framed-obese-swimsuit-issue

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uofv16$8rv5$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20799&group=alt.obituaries#20799

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:08:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:08 UTC

In article <uof11k$3blr6$1@dont-email.me>,
David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59:21 +0000, danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>[Front Office Sports, whatever that is]
>>
>>Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
>>By A.J. Perez
>>UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm
>
>'I Just Don't Know Where We Went Wrong,' Contemplates Sports Illustrated
>Executive In Front Of Framed Covers Of Obese, Trans Swimsuit Models
>https://babylonbee.com/news/i-just-dont-know-where-we-went-wrong-contemplates-sports-illustrated-ceo-in-front-of-framed-obese-swimsuit-issue

Indeed. I think that SI has been on life-support for a while now
(several/many years) and that the swimsuit edition has been about all that
kept them afloat. Now that the New Morality has ruined that, they've got
nothing left.

--
I've been watching cat videos on YouTube. More content and closer to
the truth than anything on Fox.

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<200120240602054648%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20802&group=alt.obituaries#20802

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 06:02:05 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:02 UTC

In article <uofv16$8rv5$1@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack
<gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

> In article <uof11k$3blr6$1@dont-email.me>,
> David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59:21 +0000, danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>[Front Office Sports, whatever that is]
> >>
> >>Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
> >>By A.J. Perez
> >>UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm
> >
> >'I Just Don't Know Where We Went Wrong,' Contemplates Sports Illustrated
> >Executive In Front Of Framed Covers Of Obese, Trans Swimsuit Models
>
> >>https://babylonbee.com/news/i-just-dont-know-where-we-went-wrong-contemplate
> >s-sports-illustrated-ceo-in-front-of-framed-obese-swimsuit-issue
>
> Indeed. I think that SI has been on life-support for a while now
> (several/many years) and that the swimsuit edition has been about all that
> kept them afloat. Now that the New Morality has ruined that, they've got
> nothing left.

I knew people at the magazine. The so-called "new morality" didn't
ruin the swimsuit edition. The easy and free availability of similar
pics online did.

There is? was? something called the Ridgid Calendar. Ridgid is a
widely-respected company that makes industrial-grade tools. Every year
it issued about 500k copies of its calendar, which featured
high-quality pics of glamorous swimsuit-wearing models. The pics were
taken by top-grade photographers with world-wide reputations. This
calendar was distributed freely to Ridgid's customers. It looks like
the last calendar with the models was the one for 2016. The following
year, the calendar featured pics of pipe wrenches. I don't see any
evidence of a calendar for 2018.

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uogld0$3n1mn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20803&group=alt.obituaries#20803

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:29:42 -0600
 by: David Carson - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:29 UTC

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 06:02:05 -0500, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article <uofv16$8rv5$1@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack
><gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <uof11k$3blr6$1@dont-email.me>,
>> David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:

>> >'I Just Don't Know Where We Went Wrong,' Contemplates Sports Illustrated
>> >Executive In Front Of Framed Covers Of Obese, Trans Swimsuit Models

>> >s-sports-illustrated-ceo-in-front-of-framed-obese-swimsuit-issue
>>
>> Indeed. I think that SI has been on life-support for a while now
>> (several/many years) and that the swimsuit edition has been about all that
>> kept them afloat. Now that the New Morality has ruined that, they've got
>> nothing left.
>

>I knew people at the magazine. The so-called "new morality" didn't
>ruin the swimsuit edition. The easy and free availability of similar
>pics online did.

Regardless, I thought the line was funny.

>There is? was? something called the Ridgid Calendar. Ridgid is a
>widely-respected company that makes industrial-grade tools. Every year
>it issued about 500k copies of its calendar, which featured
>high-quality pics of glamorous swimsuit-wearing models. The pics were
>taken by top-grade photographers with world-wide reputations. This
>calendar was distributed freely to Ridgid's customers. It looks like
>the last calendar with the models was the one for 2016. The following
>year, the calendar featured pics of pipe wrenches. I don't see any
>evidence of a calendar for 2018.

That doesn't support your point at all, you know. I interpret it the other
way. The customers were happy to get the swimsuit calendars, then some
bonehead at the company said, "Swimsuit calendars are sexist! Let's put
pipe wrenches on the calendar this year! It's more on-brand, it won't
offend ugly chicks, and it will save money. Everyone wins!" But the
customers hated them and complained. Said bonehead didn't want to admit he
or she screwed it up, so instead of going back to what worked, they
cancelled it. You actually just convinced me this really is what happened
with SI.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uoglng$id6$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20804&group=alt.obituaries#20804

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:35:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:35 UTC

[snip]

>There is? was? something called the Ridgid Calendar. Ridgid is a
>widely-respected company that makes industrial-grade tools. Every year
>it issued about 500k copies of its calendar, which featured
>high-quality pics of glamorous swimsuit-wearing models. The pics were
>taken by top-grade photographers with world-wide reputations. This
>calendar was distributed freely to Ridgid's customers. It looks like
>the last calendar with the models was the one for 2016. The following
>year, the calendar featured pics of pipe wrenches. I don't see any
>evidence of a calendar for 2018.

Gotta disagree with that premise.

Sure, if you go to (or went...) to a standard "car show" or
similar product, there'd be bunches of slinky and alluring
women leaning against the vehicles.

But if you went to someplace *serious*, like Caterpiller Tractors
or Mack Trucks or, for that matter, professional audio equipment,
you wouldn't see these folk because they'd simply be a distraction.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<200120241043585370%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20806&group=alt.obituaries#20806

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:43:58 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:43 UTC

In article <uogld0$3n1mn$1@dont-email.me>, David Carson
<davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 06:02:05 -0500, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <uofv16$8rv5$1@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack
> ><gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

> >> Indeed. I think that SI has been on life-support for a while now
> >> (several/many years) and that the swimsuit edition has been about all that
> >> kept them afloat. Now that the New Morality has ruined that, they've got
> >> nothing left.
> >

> >I knew people at the magazine. The so-called "new morality" didn't
> >ruin the swimsuit edition. The easy and free availability of similar
> >pics online did.
>
> Regardless, I thought the line was funny.
>
> >There is? was? something called the Ridgid Calendar. Ridgid is a
> >widely-respected company that makes industrial-grade tools. Every year
> >it issued about 500k copies of its calendar, which featured
> >high-quality pics of glamorous swimsuit-wearing models. The pics were
> >taken by top-grade photographers with world-wide reputations. This
> >calendar was distributed freely to Ridgid's customers. It looks like
> >the last calendar with the models was the one for 2016. The following
> >year, the calendar featured pics of pipe wrenches. I don't see any
> >evidence of a calendar for 2018.
>
> That doesn't support your point at all, you know. I interpret it the other
> way. The customers were happy to get the swimsuit calendars, then some
> bonehead at the company said, "Swimsuit calendars are sexist! Let's put
> pipe wrenches on the calendar this year! It's more on-brand, it won't
> offend ugly chicks, and it will save money. Everyone wins!" But the
> customers hated them and complained. Said bonehead didn't want to admit he
> or she screwed it up, so instead of going back to what worked, they
> cancelled it. You actually just convinced me this really is what happened
> with SI.

I'm not sure that it doesn't support my point, or that we're in
disagreement.

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<200120241047388596%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20807&group=alt.obituaries#20807

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:47:38 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:47 UTC

In article <uoglng$id6$1@reader1.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> >There is? was? something called the Ridgid Calendar. Ridgid is a
> >widely-respected company that makes industrial-grade tools. Every year
> >it issued about 500k copies of its calendar, which featured
> >high-quality pics of glamorous swimsuit-wearing models. The pics were
> >taken by top-grade photographers with world-wide reputations. This
> >calendar was distributed freely to Ridgid's customers. It looks like
> >the last calendar with the models was the one for 2016. The following
> >year, the calendar featured pics of pipe wrenches. I don't see any
> >evidence of a calendar for 2018.
>
> Gotta disagree with that premise.
>
> Sure, if you go to (or went...) to a standard "car show" or
> similar product, there'd be bunches of slinky and alluring
> women leaning against the vehicles.
>
> But if you went to someplace *serious*, like Caterpiller Tractors
> or Mack Trucks or, for that matter, professional audio equipment,
> you wouldn't see these folk because they'd simply be a distraction.

I have, and they still have pretty ladies showing off the tractors and
trucks. Some things never change.

I have no trouble with this, BTW. There are dozens of vendors at these
shows, and you have to draw attention somehow.

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uomgn0$niv$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20832&group=alt.obituaries#20832

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:46:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:46 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:59:21 +0000, danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>>[Front Office Sports, whatever that is]
>>
>>Sports Illustrated's Publisher Lays Off Entire Staff. Future Unclear
>>By A.J. Perez
>>UPDATED January 19, 2024 | 12:50 pm
>
> 'I Just Don't Know Where We Went Wrong,' Contemplates Sports Illustrated
> Executive In Front Of Framed Covers Of Obese, Trans Swimsuit Models
> https://babylonbee.com/news/i-just-dont-know-where-we-went-wrong-contemplates-sports-illustrated-ceo-in-front-of-framed-obese-swimsuit-issue

If I bought SI,I would have taken a middle path on the
swimsuit issue...I would never let obese or trans models
anywhere near it,but I would replace the women whose careers
were in modelling with current or recent competitive swimmers.
And let them pick the swimsuits they wore.

-=-=-

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uooehd$19mr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20841&group=alt.obituaries#20841

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:21:46 -0600
 by: David Carson - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:21 UTC

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:46:40 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws>
wrote:

>If I bought SI,I would have taken a middle path on the
>swimsuit issue...I would never let obese or trans models
>anywhere near it,but I would replace the women whose careers
>were in modelling with current or recent competitive swimmers.
>And let them pick the swimsuits they wore.

What would you do after you went bankrupt?

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uooj3c$d5l9$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20843&group=alt.obituaries#20843

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:39:40 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:39 UTC

In article <uooehd$19mr6$1@dont-email.me>,
David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:46:40 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws>
>wrote:
>
>>If I bought SI,I would have taken a middle path on the
>>swimsuit issue...I would never let obese or trans models
>>anywhere near it,but I would replace the women whose careers
>>were in modelling with current or recent competitive swimmers.
>>And let them pick the swimsuits they wore.
>
>What would you do after you went bankrupt?

Run for President?

--
Politics is show business for ugly people.

Sports is politics for stupid people.

Re: [media death spiral] Sports Illustrated (fwd)

<uopvq1$dcb$3@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20858&group=alt.obituaries#20858

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 03:22:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 03:22 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:46:40 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws>
> wrote:
>
>>If I bought SI,I would have taken a middle path on the
>>swimsuit issue...I would never let obese or trans models
>>anywhere near it,but I would replace the women whose careers
>>were in modelling with current or recent competitive swimmers.
>>And let them pick the swimsuits they wore.
>
> What would you do after you went bankrupt?

Disparage the taste of consumers.

-=-=-