Subject: Re: If you don't have anything else, here is something to be thankful
for.
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 03:12:27 -0500
 by: bfh - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:12 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> [...]
> out-of-state private facilities, state officials have landed on a
> new — but still trouble-ridden — approach: They are paying a
> religious nonprofit more than 100 times the amount they pay foster
> care parents to watch children in unregulated short-term rental
> homes."
>
> "It’s the latest iteration of a desperate child welfare system
> continually plagued by problems, lawsuits and criticism. The
> practice has gone unpublicized, but inquiries into the new
> arrangement by OPB and attorneys representing children in foster
> care have spurred the state to examine it more closely.
>
> The nonprofit, Dynamic Life Inc., was founded by a former pastor
> based in Keizer, Oregon. Fueled by taxpayer dollars, the nonprofit
> grew at a shocking rate in the past year.
>
> Nathan Webber, who started Dynamic Life and up until recently was
> the CEO, said it started with a phone call from a friend. Webber,
> who has served as a foster parent, said his friend asked him to
> help a kid placed in state care who was destroying a hotel room.
>
> Webber explained it as an almost Biblical tale. He and his sons,
> Isaiah and Josiah, showed up at the hotel in Lincoln City and told
> the kid in foster care they loved him. While the kid kicked and
> screamed and punched, they kept repeating the message: We love
> you.
>
> “You just stand there and let him know you love him, no matter
> what,” Webber said. “He kicks you in the shin, you tell him you
> love him.”
>
> A couple of hours later, the boy, sweating and tired, finally
> stopped being violent, Webber said.
>
> “From there, the state said, ‘Could you do that again? Could
> you possibly do that again?’” Webber said. “And we said,
> ‘Yeah, we think we can do that’ and out of that was created
> Dynamic Life.”
>
> In October 2022, Oregon child welfare officials signed a contract
> with Dynamic Life, noting they could be paid up to $2,916 per day,
> for every child or teenager the state places in their care. Compare
> that to the amount the state’s child welfare system pays a foster
> parent to care for a teenager — which is $795 per month. If a
> child is determined to have high needs, a foster parent is usually
> paid slightly more, an additional $240 to $468 per month, still
> significantly less than what Dynamic Life receives.
>
> In the last 12 months, the state of Oregon has paid the religious
> nonprofit more than $7.75 million to provide support services to
> about 40 kids at risk of temporary lodging and to those already in
> temporary lodging, such as a hotel or short-term rental.
>
> Perhaps more troublesome than the large dollar figure is the lack
> of oversight."
>
> https://www.opb.org/article/2023/11/20/oregon-foster-care-children-sent-to-unlicensed-short-term-rental-homes-millions-for-religious-nonprofit/
>
> The story just keeps getting sadder from there.

Sounds like your leaders out there really know how to efficaciously
manage money.

--
bill

Re: If you don't have anything else, here is something to be thankful for.

<ujlek6$1e0un$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20970&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#20970

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
for.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 11:43:34 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:43 UTC

On 11/22/2023 2:12 AM, bfh wrote:
> [...]
>> parent to care for a teenager — which is $795 per month. If a
>> child is determined to have high needs, a foster parent is usually
>> paid slightly more, an additional $240 to $468 per month, still
>> significantly less than what Dynamic Life receives.
>>
>> In the last 12 months, the state of Oregon has paid the religious
>> nonprofit more than $7.75 million to provide support services to
>> about 40 kids at risk of temporary lodging and to those already in
>> temporary lodging, such as a hotel or short-term rental.
>>
>> Perhaps more troublesome than the large dollar figure is the lack
>> of oversight."
>>
>> https://www.opb.org/article/2023/11/20/oregon-foster-care-children-sent-to-unlicensed-short-term-rental-homes-millions-for-religious-nonprofit/
>>
>>  The story just keeps getting sadder from there.
>
> Sounds like your leaders out there really know how to efficaciously

They "manage" to put it into their own pockets.
--
---------
If you put a potato in a microwave oven and press the pizza button, it