interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

SubjectAuthor
* Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLenona
+* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersTommie Hicks
| +* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersAdam H. Kerman
| |`* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersTommie Hicks
| | `- Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLouis Epstein
| `* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersDavid Carson
|  `* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLenona
|   `* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersKenny McCormack
|    `* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLouis Epstein
|     `- Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersBig Mongo
+- Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLouis Epstein
`* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersKenny McCormack
 `* Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersLouis Epstein
  `- Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for ownersJohn M.

1
Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<0ac01258-568e-43e1-adf9-6ac7ad247b37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21119&group=alt.obituaries#21119

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:09:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:09 UTC

I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.

https://www.fastcompany.com/91024641/death-of-phone-landline-att-what-it-means-for-rural-areas-with-no-cell-service
(by Emily Price - it's a 3-minute read)

"Phone companies may be sick of paying for landlines that only 30% of Americans use. But for those few, it could mean life or death."

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/09/landlines-comeback-home-phones/675280/
(from September, by Ian Bogost - but there's a paywall - in my case, anyway.)

"America Gave Up on the Best Home Technology There Is: The death of the landline was premature."

https://cordcuttersnews.com/att-is-saying-goodbye-to-landline-phones-as-it-pushes-customers-to-voip-options/#:~:text=Back%20in%20August%20of%202022,and%20instead%20only%20selling%20fiber.
(with 50 comments)

More on the subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=death+of+landlines&sca_esv=54b6785aa301342b&ei=DYfKZbLbEbSYptQP_uOCwAU&ved=0ahUKEwjyleqZ2aaEAxU0jIkEHf6xAFgQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=death+of+landlines&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiEmRlYXRoIG9mIGxhbmRsaW5lczIFECEYoAEyBRAhGJ8FSII4UABYiDVwBHgAkAEAmAGhAaABtxCqAQQxNi42uAEDyAEA-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&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqe7jp$1o4md$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21121&group=alt.obituaries#21121

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:54 UTC

Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.

This is a bullshit issue.

This goes back to the breakup of AT&T in 1982 and how "competition" was
implemented. The successor Regional Bell Operating Companies (nearly all
of which merged into one massive company, so what was the point of the
breakup) were required to offer landlines at wholesale rates to
competing services that weren't in a position to build their own
neighborhood lines. New services offered by the RBOCs are not subject to
the court order requiring wholesale rates.

There's effectively competition between Darryl and this is my other
brother Darryl: ex-phone company services and whatever cable offers.
Pretty much no one else built out a local network.

Your competition is between paragons of lousy subscriber service.

It's not a technology issue nor a maintenance issue. It's how they got
out from under a court decision.

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<e61a4564-2a8a-40c0-8d37-8731919e5141n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21122&group=alt.obituaries#21122

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:05:48 -0800 (PST)
From: tommie.h...@gmail.com (Tommie Hicks)
 by: Tommie Hicks - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 23:05 UTC

I do not have cell phone signal where I live. My landline is horrible. On rainy days I cannot make a call from my house. Our phone plant was installed in 1962. My landline provider, Frontier, refuses to fix it. They tell me to terminate the account if i don't like it. In 1985 I could make calls from my rural abode 24/7. Today I cannot.

If you have a landline that works, don't take it for granted. I plan to get a Tesla phone, but it will take me a few months to save up for it.

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqeevv$1p9fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21125&group=alt.obituaries#21125

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 01:00:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 01:00 UTC

Tommie Hicks <tommie.hicks303@gmail.com> wrote:

>I do not have cell phone signal where I live. My landline is horrible.
>On rainy days I cannot make a call from my house. Our phone plant was
>installed in 1962. My landline provider, Frontier, refuses to fix it.
>They tell me to terminate the account if i don't like it. In 1985 I
>could make calls from my rural abode 24/7. Today I cannot.

>If you have a landline that works, don't take it for granted. I plan to
>get a Tesla phone, but it will take me a few months to save up for it.

I have no idea what Tesla has to do with telephony. Is that a satellite
phone?

How are you communicating, DSL?

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqf3pq$6qm$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21126&group=alt.obituaries#21126

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 06:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 06:55 UTC

Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/91024641/death-of-phone-landline-att-what-it-means-for-rural-areas-with-no-cell-service
> (by Emily Price - it's a 3-minute read)
>
> "Phone companies may be sick of paying for landlines that only 30% of
> Americans use. But for those few, it could mean life or death."

I've never understood why people don't jealously guard whatever
cellphone numbers they may have for intimates only and insist
on only landlines as their publicly-revealed telephones.

My cellphone plan is expired and I haven't bothered reinstating
service for the bills I've been paying because having a phone
aside from the landline number that's been in the family my
entire life simply isn't a priority for me.

> https://cordcuttersnews.com/att-is-saying-goodbye-to-landline-phones-as-it-pushes-customers-to-voip-options/#:~:text=Back%20in%20August%20of%202022,and%20instead%20only%20selling%20fiber.
> (with 50 comments)

I'm a shareholder,but phooey on this.
-=-=-

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqfk8o$19338$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21127&group=alt.obituaries#21127

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:36:56 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:36 UTC

In article <0ac01258-568e-43e1-adf9-6ac7ad247b37n@googlegroups.com>,
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.
>
>https://www.fastcompany.com/91024641/death-of-phone-landline-att-what-it-means-for-rural-areas-with-no-cell-service
> (by Emily Price - it's a 3-minute read)
>
>"Phone companies may be sick of paying for landlines that only 30% of Americans
>use. But for those few, it could mean life or death."

There is a simple solution to this, but it is unlikely to ever happen. We
don't seem to have the appetite nowdays for actually fixing anything.

The solution is to replace all the existing phone line infrastructure with
Internet infrastructure, so that everybody has Internet (good, reliable,
Internet, not the sort of fly-by-night stuff we have now). Then everybody
has phone service and everything else that the Internet provides (which is
becoming increasing essential to modern life).

I have also thought that they should replace all the AM/FM (and, for that
matter any other) radio bands with Internet service. There's really
nothing that you can do via radio that isn't really just a subset of what
you can with IP service. As it happens, I do listen to FM radio in my car
a lot, but I always think: Wouldn't it be better if I could get IP service
instead?

Anyway, of course, none of this will happen until someone figures out a way
for the donor class to make a buck off of it.

--
Treating the stock market indexes as general measures of the well-being of a
society is like treating your blood pressure as an indicator of health. The

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqftjr$248ls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21128&group=alt.obituaries#21128

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 08:16:22 -0600
 by: David Carson - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:16 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:05:48 -0800 (PST), Tommie Hicks
<tommie.hicks303@gmail.com> wrote:

>I do not have cell phone signal where I live. My landline is horrible. On rainy days I cannot make a call from my house. Our phone plant was installed in 1962. My landline provider, Frontier, refuses to fix it. They tell me to terminate the account if i don't like it. In 1985 I could make calls from my rural abode 24/7. Today I cannot.
>
>If you have a landline that works, don't take it for granted. I plan to get a Tesla phone, but it will take me a few months to save up for it.

I kept my landline way longer than most people did. The main thing I used
it for was to locate my cell phone. It was also the number I gave out to
all the stores that identify customers by their phone number. But it kept
going out of service every couple of months. If it had worked, I would
have kept it to this day. I'm sure it didn't bother the phone company when
I cancelled it.

I don't think anyone is going to die because their landline that hardly
ever works anyway gets disconnected.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<4cbebcce-151b-44a3-bb91-1738ae85a9c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21132&group=alt.obituaries#21132

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 08:13:50 -0800 (PST)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:13 UTC

On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 9:16:33 AM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:

> I don't think anyone is going to die because their landline that hardly
> ever works anyway gets disconnected.
Funny, MY experience is that a landline is far more reliable when you want someone to HEAR you properly.

If *I* can't hear someone, the other person almost always was using a cell phone.

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqg6p0$199ru$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21135&group=alt.obituaries#21135

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:52:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:52 UTC

In article <4cbebcce-151b-44a3-bb91-1738ae85a9c2n@googlegroups.com>,
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 9:16:33AM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:
>

>> I don't think anyone is going to die because their landline that hardly
>> ever works anyway gets disconnected.
>
>Funny, MY experience is that a landline is far more reliable when you want
>someone to HEAR you properly.
>
>If *I* can't hear someone, the other person almost always was using a cell phone.

This.

Cell phones are notoriously unreliable. (*)
Note: Maybe they work OK in large metro urban areas, but in the semi-rural
areas in which I live and spend my time, nuh uh.

*Real* landlines - actual Western Electric equipment - are unbearably reliable.

VOIP landlines (like I have) are pretty damn reliable, as long as your
Internet service is up.

Cell phones - amazing they work at all.

(*) I actually put this (this = the idea that cell phones are solid and
reliable and always work) in the "things you see on movies or TV that
aren't true in real life, but many people believe they are" category.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/TedCruz

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqmjdo$o9o$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21165&group=alt.obituaries#21165

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:05:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:05 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <0ac01258-568e-43e1-adf9-6ac7ad247b37n@googlegroups.com>,
> Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.
>>
>>https://www.fastcompany.com/91024641/death-of-phone-landline-att-what-it-means-for-rural-areas-with-no-cell-service
>> (by Emily Price - it's a 3-minute read)
>>
>>"Phone companies may be sick of paying for landlines that only 30% of Americans
>>use. But for those few, it could mean life or death."
>
> There is a simple solution to this, but it is unlikely to ever happen. We
> don't seem to have the appetite nowdays for actually fixing anything.
>
> The solution is to replace all the existing phone line infrastructure with
> Internet infrastructure, so that everybody has Internet (good, reliable,
> Internet, not the sort of fly-by-night stuff we have now). Then everybody
> has phone service and everything else that the Internet provides (which is
> becoming increasing essential to modern life).

I believe that the freedom to NOT be reachable by Internet
is absolutely essential and should not be threatened further.

If you can't find a way to be off the grid,you're in the Matrix.
> I have also thought that they should replace all the AM/FM (and, for that
> matter any other) radio bands with Internet service. There's really
> nothing that you can do via radio that isn't really just a subset of what
> you can with IP service. As it happens, I do listen to FM radio in my car
> a lot, but I always think: Wouldn't it be better if I could get IP service
> instead?

FARADAY CAGES FOR ALL!!!

-=-=-

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqmjig$o9o$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21166&group=alt.obituaries#21166

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:08:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:08 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <4cbebcce-151b-44a3-bb91-1738ae85a9c2n@googlegroups.com>,
> Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 9:16:33AM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think anyone is going to die because their landline that hardly
>>> ever works anyway gets disconnected.
>>
>>Funny, MY experience is that a landline is far more reliable when you want
>>someone to HEAR you properly.
>>
>>If *I* can't hear someone, the other person almost always was using a cell phone.
>
> This.
>
> Cell phones are notoriously unreliable. (*)
> Note: Maybe they work OK in large metro urban areas, but in the semi-rural
> areas in which I live and spend my time, nuh uh.
>
> *Real* landlines - actual Western Electric equipment - are unbearably reliable.
>
> VOIP landlines (like I have) are pretty damn reliable, as long as your
> Internet service is up.

Right now my landlines are fiber but not VOIP.

It's my understanding that fiber voice can be really really good
but it doesn't have to be and the utilities don't really care
if it is.
> Cell phones - amazing they work at all.
>
> (*) I actually put this (this = the idea that cell phones are solid and
> reliable and always work) in the "things you see on movies or TV that
> aren't true in real life, but many people believe they are" category.

Those who want cell towers and WiFi to proliferate everywhere are
taking away the freedom to be beyond their reach.

-=-=-

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<52f47e48-d07e-432c-be8d-02e431379d08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21168&group=alt.obituaries#21168

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 13:58:34 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 21:58 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 10:08:03 PM UTC-5, Louis Epstein wrote:
> Kenny McCormack <gaz...@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> > In article <4cbebcce-151b-44a3...@googlegroups.com>,

> >>Funny, MY experience is that a landline is far more reliable when you want
> >>someone to HEAR you properly.
> >>
> >>If *I* can't hear someone, the other person almost always was using a cell phone.
> >
> > This.
> >
> > Cell phones are notoriously unreliable. (*)
> > Note: Maybe they work OK in large metro urban areas, but in the semi-rural
> > areas in which I live and spend my time, nuh uh.
> >
> > *Real* landlines - actual Western Electric equipment - are unbearably reliable.
> >
> > VOIP landlines (like I have) are pretty damn reliable, as long as your
> > Internet service is up.
> Right now my landlines are fiber but not VOIP.
>
> It's my understanding that fiber voice can be really really good
> but it doesn't have to be and the utilities don't really care
> if it is.
> > Cell phones - amazing they work at all.
> >
> > (*) I actually put this (this = the idea that cell phones are solid and
> > reliable and always work) in the "things you see on movies or TV that
> > aren't true in real life, but many people believe they are" category.
> Those who want cell towers and WiFi to proliferate everywhere are
> taking away the freedom to be beyond their reach.
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Think of all the copper wire they'll reclaim!!!! It's at $3.71 a pound today
at the close of business...

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<3dg4ti5u6icpqse8tvmemut96il9omdcta@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21179&group=alt.obituaries#21179

From: jcm1139T...@gmail.com (John M.)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:44:47 -0500
 by: John M. - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:44 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:05:28 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>> In article <0ac01258-568e-43e1-adf9-6ac7ad247b37n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>I heard, recently, that they could be gone in three years.
>>>
>>>https://www.fastcompany.com/91024641/death-of-phone-landline-att-what-it-means-for-rural-areas-with-no-cell-service
>>> (by Emily Price - it's a 3-minute read)
>>>
>>>"Phone companies may be sick of paying for landlines that only 30% of Americans
>>>use. But for those few, it could mean life or death."
>>
>> There is a simple solution to this, but it is unlikely to ever happen. We
>> don't seem to have the appetite nowdays for actually fixing anything.
>>
>> The solution is to replace all the existing phone line infrastructure with
>> Internet infrastructure, so that everybody has Internet (good, reliable,
>> Internet, not the sort of fly-by-night stuff we have now). Then everybody
>> has phone service and everything else that the Internet provides (which is
>> becoming increasing essential to modern life).
>
>I believe that the freedom to NOT be reachable by Internet
>is absolutely essential and should not be threatened further.
>
>If you can't find a way to be off the grid,you're in the Matrix.

But if you want to learn how to be off grid there are, of course,
books. But, it's so easy to learn from Youtube.

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<03c1b379-f6be-4e20-bac6-cdf8e5bd4923n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21180&group=alt.obituaries#21180

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From: tommie.h...@gmail.com (Tommie Hicks)
 by: Tommie Hicks - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 02:38 UTC

> I have no idea what Tesla has to do with telephony. Is that a satellite
> phone?
>
> How are you communicating, DSL?

From what I understand the Tesla phone will use the Starlink infrastructure.. The cheapest one is $1,000.

After begging for DSL from the phone company for two decades I gave up. In 2010 the U.S. Goverment gave the phone company $96,000 to run fiber up our road but it never materialized. My landline was so decrepit that it would not allow the operation of an internet browser. I had to use Hughesnet since about 2017. They promised 2.5 gigabytes a second and never delivered on it. The last four years or so Hughesnet was giving me 14.5 kilobytes a second, nearly 1/4 of dial up speeds for $88 a month. But I had to keep it for at least I could maintain an e-mail account and browse websites with no videos. Last October, after 2 years on a waiting list I was able to get Starlink. The difference was phenomenal. On Hughesnet I was unable to watch videos, but with Starlink I can run six tabs of youtube videos flawlessly.. Hughesnet made it extremely difficult to sever with them. They made an unauthorized $700 charge on my credit card which they said was a deposit on the Lna and reciever which they had explicitly said in our contract that those items would be my property if I flawlessly maintained the account for 4 years. I just received the $700 back two weeks ago, several months after I sent them the equipment. Hughesnet would not terminate may account until they received the gear so I paid for two months of service, a month and a half after they received the equipment. Gad what a nightmare.

Re: Semi-OT: Death of landlines - and why that could mean death for owners

<uqulka$ofi$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21183&group=alt.obituaries#21183

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 04:32:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 04:32 UTC

Tommie Hicks <tommie.hicks303@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have no idea what Tesla has to do with telephony. Is that a satellite
>> phone?
>>
>> How are you communicating, DSL?
>
> From what I understand the Tesla phone will use the Starlink infrastructure. The cheapest one is $1,000.
>
> After begging for DSL from the phone company for two decades I gave up. In
> 2010 the U.S. Goverment gave the phone company $96,000 to run fiber up our
> road but it never materialized.

I wonder what it cost Verizon to run the 96-strand fiber cable
down my driveway of which 94 strands are still unused.

> My landline was so decrepit that it would not allow the operation of an
> internet browser.

Of what type?...what bandwidth connection was on your twisted pair?