Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all. -- Arthur Balfour

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)

SubjectAuthor
* Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)radioacti...@gmail.com
`* Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 197Big Mongo
 `- Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 197Louis Epstein

1
Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)

<fd52a283-ab96-4309-b707-714f744bf781n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20743&group=alt.obituaries#20743

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:42:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43
(in 1973)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 02:42 UTC

Surprised I had never heard of this disturbing case study.

The sad saga makes you wonder why that Connecticut lady who was raising chimp Travis kinda sorta like a human--before responding authorities shot Travis to death in February 2009 after the beast went ape mauling, blinding and disfiguring her visiting lady friend--didn't realize how tragically her own experiment might end up. (I presume she--or anyone else setting out on such a fool's errand--was familiar with the parents'/researchers' 1933 book "The Ape and the Child").

It would be interesting to learn the details behind Kellogg's suicide at age 43; it's entirely possible, of course, that he was tormented by matters completely unrelated to what so weirdly happened in his early childhood four decades prior.

Meanwhile, the pretend-journalist who sloppily wrote this piece never bothered to tell the reader whether this was somewhere stateside, or over in the U.K. [my hunch, given it's from the British Daily Star], or somewhere else on the planet.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/baby-raised-chimp-sister-sick-31838669

Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)

<e084f1ec-8746-4101-b00b-6a28810324abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20744&group=alt.obituaries#20744

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:39:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at
43 (in 1973)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:39 UTC

On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 9:42:56 PM UTC-5, radioacti...@gmail..com wrote:
> Surprised I had never heard of this disturbing case study.

I used to have a group of undergrad students who I worked with and of course them being undergrads
money was always tight so I bought them all lunch occasionally. I enjoyed the camaraderie and the
fellowship and the chance to interact with young minds. One day the discussion turned to what was the
cheapest source of subsistence a human being could conceivably live on while still maintain a reasonable level
of health. Most ventured white rice, ramen noddles or mac and cheese, but one of the more forward thinking students
ventured forth with the phrase: "Purina Monkey Chow" and he informed us that he could live on monkey chow
quite happily as it contained all the vitamins and minerals a growing primate needs without any of the
preprocessed crap. Wagers were placed and after about 2 weeks the student was admitted to the hospital
for several days for being monstrously constipated.

A 25lb bag of monkey chow was approximately $13 in 1996 and the average college student needed to eat
about 4 or 5 pounds daily to maintain their current level of health so in the end it wasn't all that cost effective
as it worked out to about $3.25 per day...

Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)

<ur0at6$94t$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21190&group=alt.obituaries#21190

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:41:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:41 UTC

(Can not quote Mr. Mongo because of charset issue)

As regards the white rice proposal as cheapest foodstuff,
I expect that brown rice (more nutritious as well) would
have a lower cost of production thanks to the omission
of processing steps (as with whole wheat flour or raw cane
sugar) but has a higher retail price because of market
conditions that would not exist in a bare-subsistence-level
society.

As regards Mr. Kellogg,I note that I've been eating some
supermarket-house-brand corn flakes from a lower-priced,
larger-capacity package than one of his namesake corn flakes.

Were these students concerned with contemporary market
conditions or theoretical survival necessities?

-=-=-