From: sal...@earthlink.net (Salute)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries,alt.journalism,alt.journalism.newspapers
Subject: Chris Mortensen, award-winning ESPN NFL journalist, has died
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 06:53:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Salute - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 06:53 UTC

WASHINGTON � Longtime ESPN journalist Chris Mortensen, who covered the NFL
for more than three decades, has died. He was 72.

The network announced the award-winning journalist's death on Sunday and
did not disclose details on a cause of death. Mortensen was diagnosed with
Stage 4 throat cancer in 2016.

�Mort was widely respected as an industry pioneer and universally beloved
as a supportive, hard-working teammate,� ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro said
in a statement. �He covered the NFL with extraordinary skill and passion,
and was at the top of his field for decades."

"He will truly be missed by colleagues and fans, and our hearts and
thoughts are with his loved ones," the statement continued.

Mortensen joined ESPN in 1991 and was a regular contributor to the
network's shows and "SportsCenter," according to ESPN.

The 72-year-old journalist often covered breaking news for ESPN, including
Peyton Manning's retirement from the NFL.

The former NFL star paid tribute to Mortenson soon after the announcement
of his death.

"Heartbroken. We lost a true legend. Mort was the best in the business and
I cherished our friendship. I trusted him with my announcement to sign
with the Broncos and with the news of my retirement," Manning said on
Instagram. "I will miss him dearly and my thoughts and prayers are with
Micki & his family. Rest in peace, Mort."

Mortensen announced his retirement after the NFL Draft last year so that
he could �focus on my health, family and faith.�

Mortenson received the Pro Football Writers of America's Dick McCann Award
in 2016 and was honored in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's ceremony that
same year.

Mortensen also worked for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution from 1983-89.
He covered the Atlanta Falcons from 1985-86 and the league from 1985-89.
He left for The National in 1989 and worked there for nearly two years.

�I join the immeasurable number of hearts across the nation, in journalism
and the sports community, as we mourn Chris Mortensen. I�m grateful to
have had the privilege of knowing Chris through his incredible work
beginning at his days at the Atlanta Journal Constitution and like so
many, being blessed by his professional excellence and personal grace
through the many years that have followed," Falcons owner Arthur Blank
said in a statement. �I considered Chris a personal hero of my mine and it
is truly hard to imagine sports journalism without him. His ability to
take on life�s obstacles with grit and determination was always truly
inspiring and his enormous impact on so many, me included, will live on
through this work and unwavering friendships.�

A native of Torrance, California, Mortensen attended El Camino College. He
served two years in the Army before he began his journalism career at the
South Bay (Calif.) Daily Breeze in 1969.

He is survived by his wife, Micki, and son, Alex.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/chris-mortensen-espn-nfl-
reporter-dead/507-6433d363-2380-4d2d-9154-fcb41befc464?ref=exit-recirc

Re: Chris Mortensen, award-winning ESPN NFL journalist, has died

<us50at$34v$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21243&group=alt.obituaries#21243

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries,alt.journalism,alt.journalism.newspapers
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:27:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:27 UTC

In alt.obituaries Salute <salute@earthlink.net> wrote:
> WASHINGTON ? Longtime ESPN journalist Chris Mortensen, who covered the NFL
> for more than three decades, has died. He was 72.

Obviously lacked the staying power of Christian Mortensen(1882-1998),
the Dane-turned-Californian known for his longevity.

-=-=-