From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: The Oscars necrology reel
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 05:24:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 05:24 UTC

You know how every film critic in the country makes predictions for
winners?

No one but us cares about this. What are your predictions for who will
be left out of the necrology reel who should have been remembered?

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<e384b440e28c58140f940822a0038aed@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21268&group=alt.obituaries#21268

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:48:02 +0000
Subject: Re: The Oscars necrology reel
From: longingl...@posteo.net (Drexl)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: Drexl - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:48 UTC

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> You know how every film critic in the country makes predictions for
> winners?

> No one but us cares about this. What are your predictions for who will
> be left out of the necrology reel who should have been remembered?

I'm guessing Suzanne Somers. They tend to leave out people who were known
mostly for television rather than films, and she is probably the most
popular such person who could be omitted.

But I think Matthew Perry will make it, as he had a decent enough film
career after Friends.

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<uslvq2$3e013$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21270&group=alt.obituaries#21270

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 04:03:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 04:03 UTC

Drexl <longinglook@posteo.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>You know how every film critic in the country makes predictions for
>>winners?

>>No one but us cares about this. What are your predictions for who will
>>be left out of the necrology reel who should have been remembered?

>I'm guessing Suzanne Somers. They tend to leave out people who were known
>mostly for television rather than films, and she is probably the most
>popular such person who could be omitted.

>But I think Matthew Perry will make it, as he had a decent enough film
>career after Friends.

I didn't bother watching. I'll see if I can find a video clip tomorrow.

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<usu8kb$dtv$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21283&group=alt.obituaries#21283

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:22:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:22 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Drexl <longinglook@posteo.net> wrote:
>>Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>>>You know how every film critic in the country makes predictions for
>>>winners?
>
>>>No one but us cares about this. What are your predictions for who will
>>>be left out of the necrology reel who should have been remembered?
>
>>I'm guessing Suzanne Somers. They tend to leave out people who were known
>>mostly for television rather than films, and she is probably the most
>>popular such person who could be omitted.
>
>>But I think Matthew Perry will make it, as he had a decent enough film
>>career after Friends.
>
> I didn't bother watching. I'll see if I can find a video clip tomorrow.

I had it in my head that the show was the next day,
but either way,their muting the audience reactions
to have a musical performer made their necrology
unwatchable for me years ago.

-=-=-

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<ut1mi1$2ap3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21284&group=alt.obituaries#21284

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:38:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:38 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Drexl <longinglook@posteo.net> wrote:

>>>I'm guessing Suzanne Somers. They tend to leave out people who were known
>>>mostly for television rather than films, and she is probably the most
>>>popular such person who could be omitted.

>>>But I think Matthew Perry will make it, as he had a decent enough film
>>>career after Friends.

>>I didn't bother watching. I'll see if I can find a video clip tomorrow.

>I had it in my head that the show was the next day,
>but either way,their muting the audience reactions
>to have a musical performer made their necrology
>unwatchable for me years ago.

You said it.

That was crap. All I could find was the segment from ABC's broadcast,
which I am not going to cite. The camera was in the audience in which
the reel was shown to the audience on massive video screens but not in a
way that the television audience could make anything out. It was behind
the orchestra, singers, and dancers.

I tried to find the reel itself on the Oscars Web site but couldn't.

Here's a list:

https://oscars.org/about/memoriam

That's way too many to have been included in the reel shown to the
audience, but the television audience couldn't see all that much of it
anyway.

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<ut1qsh$2bkuc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21285&group=alt.obituaries#21285

From: libbie...@gmail.com (Libbie)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:52:49 -0400
 by: Libbie - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:52 UTC

On 3/15/2024 10:38 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> I didn't bother watching. I'll see if I can find a video clip tomorrow.
>
>> I had it in my head that the show was the next day,
>> but either way,their muting the audience reactions
>> to have a musical performer made their necrology
>> unwatchable for me years ago.
>
> You said it.
>
> That was crap. All I could find was the segment from ABC's broadcast,
> which I am not going to cite. The camera was in the audience in which
> the reel was shown to the audience on massive video screens but not in a
> way that the television audience could make anything out. It was behind
> the orchestra, singers, and dancers.
>
> I tried to find the reel itself on the Oscars Web site but couldn't.
>
> Here's a list:
>
> https://oscars.org/about/memoriam
>
> That's way too many to have been included in the reel shown to the
> audience, but the television audience couldn't see all that much of it
> anyway.
That explains why it was so bad, possibly the worst so far. And they
have been really bad for some time. Thanks for providing the list.

Re: The Oscars necrology reel

<ut2769$l2a$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21287&group=alt.obituaries#21287

From: INVALID_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:22:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:22 UTC

In the previous article, Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> That was crap. All I could find was the segment from ABC's
> broadcast, which I am not going to cite. The camera was in the
> audience in which the reel was shown to the audience on massive
> video screens but not in a way that the television audience could
> make anything out. It was behind the orchestra, singers, and
> dancers.

I hate to take a fashionably snobby position on anything, especially
art and cinema, but I have really come to loathe the Oscars and the
Academy that puts them on.

I used to watch this show every year, actually caring about what
happened. It just got to be so much about self-promotion and so
little about actual art -- yes, I know it was never an artistically
"pure" enterprise, thank you in advance for pointing it out -- that it
became unwatchable.

Maybe the beginning of the end for me was Letterman hosting the
ceremony. Not because he was bad. He wasn't great, and he had his
awkward moments, but the sheer magnitude of the backlash against him
was obviously orchestrated. He had the temerity to *actually*
satirize Hollywood. Hollywood loves to pretend to satirize itself --
gently, bloodlessly, never with any real bit. (See, e.g., Robert
Altman's "The Player.") Letterman transgressed and Holylywood lost
its collective mind.

So I started recording it and watching a few highlights. By around
2005, this had turned into just watching the In Memoriam. And every
year -- every. single. year. -- it was so grossly inferior to the
class act that TCM did every December that it was just embarrassing.
And soon enough, I stopped even recording the ceremony to find and
watch that. I maybe watched it a couple of years on YouTube or
something, then I just read the summaries here.

This year, I glanced at the list and hit "next." I didn't even care
to spend 30 seconds reading the list.

I am honestly confused as to why *anyone* still watches this farrago
of crapola in a given year. Nevermind the obvious travesties in
nominees and award winners, if they can't even do a simple thing like
honor their own dead with a straightforward and minimally classy
sendoff, why do they continue to exist at all? Let the Critics
Circles handle recognition of excellence, and let TCM honor the dead
and let that be it.
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer