From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Annnd They're Off!
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:07:21 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 02:07 UTC

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-crime-crisis-first-homicide-2024-happens-moments-new-years-day
--
"There are none so blind as liberals who will not see"

Re: Annnd They're Off!

<MPG.3ffd326c3207cde2989696@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21271&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21271

From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Annnd They're Off!
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:35:49 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 04:35 UTC

In article <umvr4l$2d8k0$1@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.org says...

> https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-crime-crisis-first-homicide-2024-happens-moments-new-years-day

"17-year-old murder suspect accused of shooting 2 teens at his home
One victim died from his injuries and the other is in critical
condition.

ByMeredith Deliso
December 28, 2023, 1:24 PM"

"A Texas teenager accused of shooting two people at his home, one
fatally, allegedly told police that he wanted to "commit a homicide for
a long time," according to newly released court documents."

<https://abcnews.go.com/US/friendswood-texas-shooting/story?id=105975917

"Dec 28, 2023 -
Politics & Policy
Homicides in U.S. set to drop by record numbers this year"

"The U.S. is on course to end 2023 with one of the largest annual drops
in homicides on record, according to preliminary figures from AH
Datalytics, a data analysis firm.

Why it matters: The findings appear to be at odds with Americans'
perception of crime both in their communities and in the rest of the
country.

More than three-quarters (77%) of Americans believe crime has increased
in the U.S. since last year, according to a Gallup survey of 1,009
adults released last month.

A majority (55%) also said crime was rising in their local area.
"Both figures are similar to what Gallup measured last year and rank
among the most pessimistic readings in the respective trends," the
company said.

Annual rate of homicides in the U.S.
Homicide rate per 100k, 1960 to 2023; 2023 data is estimated
A column chart shows the annual rate of homicides in the U.S. from 1960
to 2023. Data for 2023 is estimated. The chart shows the rate is
trending down, estimated at 5.5 for 2023. The rate was 6.3 in 2022.

Driving the news: "Murder plummeted in the United States in 2023, likely
at one of the fastest rates of decline ever recorded," writes Jeff
Asher, co-founder of AH Datalytics, which tracks homicide numbers across
the country.

By the numbers: Preliminary public data from 177 cities analyzed by AH
Datalytics indicates that the country could see at least a 12% decrease
in murders from last year.

Declines have been seen in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit
and other large cities.

The firm expects homicides overall to fall from 21,156 last year to
around 18,450 this year, representing a 12.8% decline.
Other forms of violent crime ? rape, aggravated assault and robbery ?
are set to see a decline as well, according to preliminary quarterly
data published by the FBI earlier this month.

However, motor vehicle thefts are set to rise, which may be the result
of defects within specific models ? such as some Kia and Hyundai
vehicles ? that make them easier to steal.

What they're saying: It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what causes
crime to decline in the U.S., but Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco
told ABC News in a recent interview that she believes increased federal
assistance to local law enforcement agencies is partially responsible
for the decrease."
[snip]

<https://www.axios.com/2023/12/28/us-murder-violent-crime-rates-drop>

TB

Re: Annnd They're Off!

<un1caf$2oo7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21272&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21272

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:06:39 -0600
 by: George.Anthony - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:06 UTC

Huh?
--
"There are none so blind as liberals who will not see"