From: bigmongo...@biteme.com (Big Mongo)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Steve Harley death: Cockney Rebel singer dies at 73
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:28:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Big Mongo - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:28 UTC

Not sure what happened to my original posting... Dog ate my homework,
methinks...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68590846

Steve Harley death: Cockney Rebel singer dies at 73
2 days ago
By Noor Nanji,
Culture reporter

Steve Harley, the frontman of British rock band Cockney Rebel, has died at
the age of 73.

His best known song was Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) which went to
number one in the charts in 1975.

The musician had still been touring until recently, but cancelled dates to
have treatment for cancer.

His family said Harley had "passed away peacefully at home", adding: "We
know he will be desperately missed by people all over the world."

London-born Harley lived on the Essex-Suffolk border with his wife
Dorothy, with whom he had two children, Kerr and Greta. His family were by
his side when he died.

"Whoever you know him as, his heart exuded only core elements. Passion,
kindness, generosity. And much more, in abundance," Dorothy, Kerr and
Greta wrote in a statement.

"The birdsong from his woodland that he loved so much was singing for him.
His home has been filled with the sounds and laughter of his four
grandchildren."

Tributes have been paid to Harley from across the music industry. Singer-
songwriter Mike Batt, who worked with Harley on many songs, described him
as a "dear pal" and "lovely guy".

"What a talent. What a character," he wrote on X, formerly Twitter. "My
condolences to Dorothy and all. RIP, mate."

The duo worked together on tracks including Ballerina (Prima Donna)
released in 1983 and the 1988 charity single Whatever You Believe, in
which they were joined by Yes lead singer Jon Anderson.

Ultravox frontman Midge Ure, who produced Harley's 1982 track I Can't Even
Touch You, said he was a "true 'working musician'".

"He toured until he could tour no more, playing his songs for fans old and
new," Ure wrote on social media. "Our songs live on longer than we ever
can."

Harley was born in south London in 1951 and formed Cockney Rebel in the
early 1970s.

The original band was made up of Harley, Jean-Paul Crocker, drummer Stuart
Elliott, bassist Paul Jeffreys and guitarist Nick Jones.

Their debut studio album, The Human Menagerie, was released in 1973. Other
hits include Here Comes The Sun which was released in 1976.

Harley also presented Sounds of the 70s on BBC Radio 2 between 1999 and
2008.

Helen Thomas, head of Radio 2, said everyone at the station was "saddened"
to hear of the news. "We send our condolences to his family and our
presenters are paying tribute to him on air," she said.

In December, Harley wrote on his official website that he was "fighting a
nasty cancer" for which he was receiving treatment.

He said the first half of 2023 had been "magical" as he got to tour in
Europe with his band members, adding: "Out there, on the road, that's
where I come alive".

But the second half had been "heartbreaking" as the band was forced to
cancel live show dates after his diagnosis.

"It's tiresome, and tiring. But the fight is on," he wrote. "And
thankfully the cursed intruder is not affecting the voice. I sing and play
most evenings."

But a post on his website last month said: "Due to ongoing treatment for
cancer, Steve cannot commit to any concerts in 2024."

Re: Steve Harley death: Cockney Rebel singer dies at 73

<040146d3dbc5ace531e1600d9f95cf46@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21349&group=alt.obituaries#21349

From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:02:31 +0000
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:02 UTC

I bought the single Make Me Smile for a girlfriend. Happy memories.