Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core. -- Hannah Arendt

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

SubjectAuthor
* David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's SpeechMig.Rhodes
`* Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's SpeechAdam H. Kerman
 +* Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's SpeechMig.Rhodes
 |`- Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's SpeechAdam H. Kerman
 `- Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's SpeechAdam H. Kerman

1
David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

<129a3d34cf553552daaa08fe5b39c8ea@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21386&group=alt.obituaries#21386

From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 14:29:49 +0000
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 14:29 UTC

David Seidler, the screenwriter, who has died aged 86, was inspired by his experiences of struggling with a childhood stammer to write the true story of how King George VI overcame his own crippling speech impediment with the help of Lionel Logue, an Australian speech therapist, to give his first radio speech after the outbreak of the Second World War...He had to wait two decades to write his script after the Queen Mother asked him to wait until she died .....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/19/david-seidler-obituary

Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

<uu99oe$12d5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21389&group=alt.obituaries#21389

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 15:05:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 15:05 UTC

Mig.Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>David Seidler, the screenwriter, who has died aged 86, was inspired by
>his experiences of struggling with a childhood stammer to write the true
>story of how King George VI overcame his own crippling speech impediment
>with the help of Lionel Logue, an Australian speech therapist, to give
>his first radio speech after the outbreak of the Second World War...He
>had to wait two decades to write his script after the Queen Mother asked
>him to wait until she died .....

>https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/19/david-seidler-obituary

It's such a shame that great success came so late in life for him. I
wonder what screenplays he might have written for good movies had The
King's Speech been produced two decades earlier when he first wanted to
do it.

This was a fantastic movie, with the exception of Timothy Spall as
Churchill. That was a poor performance. Also, Churchill stood in for
other politicians who would have said those things, not Churchill. One
of the nicest portrayals of Princess Margaret ever as a sweet little
girl, not endlessly criticized as a young woman which she mostly didn't
deserve.

Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

<13fb7fa8c001f154e6edaba9cc80cf13@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21391&group=alt.obituaries#21391

From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:17:16 +0000
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:17 UTC

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> It's such a shame that great success came so late in life for him. I
> wonder what screenplays he might have written for good movies had The
> King's Speech been produced two decades earlier when he first wanted to
> do it.

> This was a fantastic movie, with the exception of Timothy Spall as
> Churchill. That was a poor performance. Also, Churchill stood in for
> other politicians who would have said those things, not Churchill. One
> of the nicest portrayals of Princess Margaret ever as a sweet little
> girl, not endlessly criticized as a young woman which she mostly didn't
> deserve.

Agreed. Brilliant movie, though Colin Firth was probably the wrong build for the cadaverous George VI. Spall's Churchill pales into insignificance next to Gary Oldman's portrayal in Darkest Hour.

-=-

Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

<uu9poo$167hc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21395&group=alt.obituaries#21395

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:39:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:39 UTC

Mig.Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>It's such a shame that great success came so late in life for him. I
>>wonder what screenplays he might have written for good movies had The
>>King's Speech been produced two decades earlier when he first wanted to
>>do it.

>>This was a fantastic movie, with the exception of Timothy Spall as
>>Churchill. That was a poor performance. Also, Churchill stood in for
>>other politicians who would have said those things, not Churchill. One
>>of the nicest portrayals of Princess Margaret ever as a sweet little
>>girl, not endlessly criticized as a young woman which she mostly didn't
>>deserve.

>Agreed. Brilliant movie, though Colin Firth was probably the wrong build
>for the cadaverous George VI.

He was also a decade older than the character. In any event, it was such
a good performance, we could suspend disbelief.

>Spall's Churchill pales into insignificance next to Gary Oldman's
>portrayal in Darkest Hour.

Not to mention, Churchill supported Edward VI and opposed the
abdication. The script should have included the real politician, much
less familiar to the British public than Churchill, to make the needed
points for drama.

Re: David Seidler,86, screenwriter - The King's Speech

<uucbpk$1uu50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21411&group=alt.obituaries#21411

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:59:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:59 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Mig.Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>David Seidler, the screenwriter, who has died aged 86, was inspired by
>>his experiences of struggling with a childhood stammer to write the true
>>story of how King George VI overcame his own crippling speech impediment
>>with the help of Lionel Logue, an Australian speech therapist, to give
>>his first radio speech after the outbreak of the Second World War...He
>>had to wait two decades to write his script after the Queen Mother asked
>>him to wait until she died .....

>>https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/19/david-seidler-obituary

>It's such a shame that great success came so late in life for him. I
>wonder what screenplays he might have written for good movies had The
>King's Speech been produced two decades earlier when he first wanted to
>do it.

>This was a fantastic movie, with the exception of Timothy Spall as
>Churchill. That was a poor performance. Also, Churchill stood in for
>other politicians who would have said those things, not Churchill. One
>of the nicest portrayals of Princess Margaret ever as a sweet little
>girl, not endlessly criticized as a young woman which she mostly didn't
>deserve.

In honor of the screenwriter, I rewatched the movie last night, on
demand on HBO. It's also on Max streaming. I know the music is cliche,
but I love the use of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony
(with variations in the tempo and dynamics to match the action) over the
king delivering the wartime radio address. It's one of my all time
favorite bits of music and its use was quite effective.