From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Maurice El Medioni, pianist, 95
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:12:52 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:12 UTC

[Jewish Telegraphic Agency]

Maurice El Medioni, Algerian Jewish pianist revered among Jews and
Muslims, dies at 95

Nearly 70 years ago to the day, an up-and-coming young Algerian Jewish
pianist by the name of Maurice El Medioni dashed off a letter to the
Moroccan Jewish superstar Samy Elmaghribi in Casablanca.

"I have not forgotten you," he wrote on March 31, 1954. "If I haven't
written you earlier it is because I have been so busy." Nonetheless, El
Medioni made clear his intention to bring his counterpart to Algiers and
Oran to perform in concert.

By April 1955, El Medioni was accompanying Elmaghribi, described by one
newspaper as "the greatest Arab attraction of all time," in Algeria for a
series of Ramadan concerts that made a remarkable impression on Jewish and
Muslim audiences. In the mid-20th century, North African Jewish musicians
continued to set the tone across Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, including
in the midst of wars of liberation.

Until El Medioni's death March 25 in Israel at the age of 95, the pioneer
of the "pianoriental" style and a consummate musical innovator remained
nearly as busy as he did decades earlier, albeit in a very different time
and place then the one where he first made his mark.
=======
rest:
https://www.jta.org/2024/04/01/obituaries/maurice-el-medioni-algerian-jewish-pianist-revered-among-jews-and-muslims-dies-at-95

dannyb@panix.com