From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Lou Conter, last survivor from USS Arizona, 102
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:31:28 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:31 UTC

(can't copy and paste on this connection)

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/lou-conter-last-survivor-of-pearl-harbors-uss-arizona-dies-at-102-bd8a2339?st=wbp5oigngn0ny1a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

or

<https://www.wsj.com/us-news/lou-conter-last-survivor-of-pearl-harbors-uss-arizona-dies-at-102-bd8a2339?st=wbp5oigngn0ny1a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink>

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Lou Conter, last survivor from USS Arizona, 102

<uuhv1d$8v4$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21449&group=alt.obituaries#21449

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Lou Conter, last survivor from USS Arizona, 102
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:58:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:58 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> (can't copy and paste on this connection)
>
> https://www.wsj.com/us-news/lou-conter-last-survivor-of-pearl-harbors-uss-arizona-dies-at-102-bd8a2339?st=wbp5oigngn0ny1a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
>
> or
>
> <https://www.wsj.com/us-news/lou-conter-last-survivor-of-pearl-harbors-uss-arizona-dies-at-102-bd8a2339?st=wbp5oigngn0ny1a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink>

Every time the Arizona is mentioned I am reminded of the Magnum P.I. episode where
a Supreme Court (of the USA,not Hawaii) nominee played by Jose Ferrer turns out to
really be a Navy deserter who pretended to have died on the Arizona and took a new
identity.

How plausible is it that a background check would miss that,whether now or back in
the 1980s?

-=-=-

Re: Lou Conter, last survivor from USS Arizona, 102

<uuhva8$3he$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21450&group=alt.obituaries#21450

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:02:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:02 UTC

In <uuhv1d$8v4$1@reader1.panix.com> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> writes:

>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>> <https://www.wsj.com/us-news/lou-conter-last-survivor-of-pearl-harbors-uss-arizona-dies-at-102-bd8a2339?st=wbp5oigngn0ny1a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink>
>>

>Every time the Arizona is mentioned I am reminded of the Magnum P.I. episode where
>a Supreme Court (of the USA,not Hawaii) nominee played by Jose Ferrer turns out to
>really be a Navy deserter who pretended to have died on the Arizona and took a new
>identity.

>How plausible is it that a background check would miss that,whether now or back in
>the 1980s?

I get flashbacks to the NCIS episode where Christopher Lloyd
portrays an old (well, duhh..) and dying sailor who claims
he was on the Arizona (although the records say otherwise)
and wants to be interred there when he dies.

spoiler: After he's dead the NCIS team confirms he
was on board, and yes, his body is brought there.

dannyb@panix.com