From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Lord Clinton, 22nd Baron, landowner & aristocrat
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:42:42 +0000
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:42 UTC

Lord Clinton, the 22nd Baron, JP, DL, holder of one of England's oldest peerages, died 2 April, 2024, aged 89.

Gordonstoun educated Lord Cliton, who took his seat in the House of Lords in 1965, was a member of the Prince of Wales's Council 1968-79, a JP for Bideford 1963-83, and a deputy Lieutenant of Devon from 1977.

Lord Clinton was seated at Heanton Satchville a historic manor near Okehampton, North Devon. With origins in the Domesday manor of Hantone, it was first recorded as belonging to the Yeo family in the mid-14th century and was then owned successively by the Rolle, Walpole and Trefusis families. The mansion house was destroyed by fire in 1795. In 1812 Lord Clinton purchased the manor and mansion of nearby Huish, renamed it Heanton Satchville, and made it his seat. The nearly-forgotten house was featured in the 2005 edition of Rosemary Lauder's "Vanished Houses of North Devon".

Lord Clinton was born Gerard Nevile Mark Fane, 7 October, 1934, the only son of Capt Charles Nevile Fane (1911-1940), and his wife the former Gladys Mabel Lowther; and was a grandson of the Hon Hon Harriet Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis (1887-1958), the elder daughter and co-heir of the 21st Baron Clinton, GCVO, PC, JP, DL (1863-1957); and he succeeded to the barony (created in 1298/99) on the termination of the abeyance of the peerage, 18 March, 1965.

Lord Clinton assumed the additional surname of Trefusis in addition to his patronymic, in 1958.

He married 18 July, 1959, Nicola Harriette Purdon Coote (born 6 January, 1937), eldest of the five daughters of Major Charles Robert Purdon Coote (1875-1954), of Ballyclough Castle and Bearforst, County Cork, by his wife the former Noel Margaret Jephson Stracey (1908-2009), scion of the Stracey baronets, by whom he had issue, a son, Charles, and two daughters, Caroline (born 23 May, 1960), and Henrietta (born 31 Jan, 1964.)

The son, the Hon Charles Patrick Rolle Fane Trefusis (born 21 March, 1962), now succeeds as 23rd Baron Clinton.

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2024/04/lord-clinton-22nd-baron-1934-2024.html

-=-

Re: Lord Clinton, 22nd Baron, landowner & aristocrat

<uun9r8$3d5f7$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21466&group=alt.obituaries#21466

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Lord Clinton, 22nd Baron, landowner & aristocrat
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:33:12 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:33 UTC

In article <282e276ecfc725025abafb34cc6c6ad7@www.novabbs.org>,
Mig.Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Lord Clinton, the 22nd Baron, JP, DL, holder of one of England's oldest peerages,
>died 2 April, 2024, aged 89.
>
>Gordonstoun educated Lord Cliton, who took his seat in the House of Lords in
>1965, was a member of the Prince of Wales's Council 1968-79, a JP for Bideford
>1963-83, and a deputy Lieutenant of Devon from 1977.

Is he one of "The Aristocrats" ?

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Aspergers