Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:51:04 +0000
Subject: Clarence 'Frogman' Henry, 87, singer - 'Ain't Got No Home'
From: countym...@yahoo.com (Diner99)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: Diner99 - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:51 UTC

He had a voice, he loved to sing.
He sang like a girl, and he sang like a frog.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/keith_spera/new-orleans-singer-clarence-frogman-henry-has-died/article_d94ed3f0-f5b4-11ee-be0c-239705e5cc9d.html

Re: Clarence 'Frogman' Henry, 87, singer - 'Ain't Got No Home'

<86cfed6e2670a08155f37abeae6bcd06@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21489&group=alt.obituaries#21489

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:21:49 +0000
From: radioact...@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: bryan_styble - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:21 UTC

Long after his musical heyday, Clarence "Frogman" Henry improbably enjoyed something of a revival of interest in his work...thanks to the late Rush Hudson Limbaugh III, of all people.

Early on in the history of The Excellence in Broadcasting network--by 1990, I believe--Rush started using "Ain't Got No Home" as the "theme song" of his program's too-often-way-too-insensitive Homeless Updates. About once a week on average, Rush would play the spirited track in its entirety before then verbally riffing on whatever homelessness-oriented news item was then to be critiqued and/or lampooned.

And on at least three occasions, Rush's normally guest-free broadcast ALSO featured a brief live telephone interview with the bluesman--who as you might imagine, was thrilled that Limbaugh was so rekindling interest in his music, or at least his sole hit. And in these interviews, Henry claimed to be a big fan of the EIB--which is easy to believe...as contrary to popular belief [by those who despised Limbaugh, often without ever having listened to the program, relying instead on leftist mischaracterizations of the long-running broadcast], Rush had a (small) following among the so-called urban community once the EIB debuted nationally in August 1988.

Now, not once in the several chats I heard Rush do with Henry did he get into the politics of the homeless issue, instead restricting his interplay with Henry to talking about the old days of rock & roll and updates on his musicianship.

As homelessness is one of those issues which I PROFOUNDLY disagreed with Limbaugh about, I can't say the Frogman-bracketed* segments were my favorite features of the routinely-remarkable EIB...but I AM glad Rush was able to bring a little late-in-life recognition to this mostly forgotten (and now sadly late) recording artist.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
* Rush would often also play the tune as an "outro".