Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:37:36 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
Subject: Retrumplican's Preposterous Claims
 by: kmiller - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:37 UTC

A Republican-appointed federal judge who has served on the bench for 37
years slammed prominent politicians for their "preposterous" claims
about how the courts have handled Jan. 6 cases and their attempts to
"rewrite history" about the U.S. Capitol attack, saying such rhetoric
could foreshadow future far-right violence.

Senior U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, appointed to the bench by
former President Ronald Reagan in 1987, said at a resentencing hearing
Thursday that he is "shocked" at how prominent political figures have
talked about the convicted criminals who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6,
2021, calling the politicians' remarks "preposterous" and warning that
such rhetoric "could presage further danger to our country."

While Lamberth did not refer to the politicians by name, he used
quotations from Reps. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga. (who said rioters behaved "in
an orderly fashion" like tourists), Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga. (who
called Jan. 6 inmates "political prisoners"), and Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y.
(who, echoing former President Donald Trump, called Jan. 6 criminals
"hostages"). In 2022, the Republican National Committee passed a
resolution referring to the events of Jan. 6 as "legitimate political
discourse."

"The Court is accustomed to defendants who refuse to accept that they
did anything wrong. But in my thirty-seven years on the bench, I cannot
recall a time when such meritless justifications of criminal activity
have gone mainstream," Lamberth said, according to his prepared remarks.

"I have been dismayed to see distortions and outright falsehoods seep
into the public consciousness,” Lamberth continued before he issued a
stark warning: "The Court fears that such destructive, misguided
rhetoric could presage further danger to our country."

Lamberth, a former Judge Advocate General Corps captain who served in
Vietnam, said he could not "condone the shameless attempts" to
misrepresent what happened on Jan. 6. The court, he said, "cannot
condone the notion that those who broke the law on January 6 did nothing
wrong, or that those duly convicted with all the safeguards of the
United States Constitution, including a right to trial by jury in felony
cases, are political prisoners or hostages."

Lamberth then made an effort to "set the record straight, based on what
I’ve learned presiding over many January 6 prosecutions, hearing from
dozens of witnesses, watching hundreds of hours of video footage, and
reading thousands of pages of evidence."

"On January 6, 2021, a mob of people invaded and occupied the United
States Capitol, using force to interrupt the peaceful transfer of power
mandated by the Constitution and our republican heritage," he said. "The
rioters interfered with a necessary step in the constitutional process,
disrupted the lawful transfer of power, and thus jeopardized the
American constitutional order. ... This was not patriotism; it was the
antithesis of patriotism."

Lamberth went on to say that it was "a matter of right and wrong" and
that it fell to judges to say the actions of those who broke the law on
Jan. 6 were wrong.

"The Court does not expect its remarks to fully stem the tide of
falsehoods. But I hope a little truth will go a long way," he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/reagan-appointed-judge-warns-gops-001746187.html

Good luck trying to stem the tide of GOP falsehoods. Them scumbags
wouldn't exist if it weren't for lies.

Re: Retrumplican's Preposterous Claims

<CqTsN.46274$LONb.1986@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21528&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21528

Subject: Re: Retrumplican's Preposterous Claims
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:08:18 -0500
 by: bfh - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:08 UTC

kmiller wrote:
> A Republican-appointed federal judge who has served on the bench for
> 37 years slammed prominent politicians for their "preposterous" claims
> about how the courts have handled Jan. 6 cases and their attempts to
> "rewrite history" about the U.S. Capitol attack, saying such rhetoric
> could foreshadow future far-right violence.
>
> Senior U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, appointed to the bench by
> former President Ronald Reagan in 1987, said at a resentencing hearing
> Thursday that he is "shocked" at how prominent political figures have
> talked about the convicted criminals who stormed the Capitol on Jan.
> 6, 2021, calling the politicians' remarks "preposterous" and warning
> that such rhetoric "could presage further danger to our country."
>
> While Lamberth did not refer to the politicians by name, he used
> quotations from Reps. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga. (who said rioters behaved
> "in an orderly fashion" like tourists), Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga.
> (who called Jan. 6 inmates "political prisoners"), and Elise Stefanik,
> R-N.Y. (who, echoing former President Donald Trump, called Jan. 6
> criminals "hostages"). In 2022, the Republican National Committee
> passed a resolution referring to the events of Jan. 6 as "legitimate
> political discourse."
>
> "The Court is accustomed to defendants who refuse to accept that they
> did anything wrong. But in my thirty-seven years on the bench, I
> cannot recall a time when such meritless justifications of criminal
> activity have gone mainstream," Lamberth said, according to his
> prepared remarks.
>
> "I have been dismayed to see distortions and outright falsehoods seep
> into the public consciousness,” Lamberth continued before he issued
> a stark warning: "The Court fears that such destructive, misguided
> rhetoric could presage further danger to our country."

Just another day, just another threat to democracy.

--
bill

Re: Retrumplican's Preposterous Claims

<oL2dnW8n-aNJuyn4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21533&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#21533

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:40:39 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: i09...@removethisspamblockerstuff-yahoo.com (kmiller)
 by: kmiller - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:40 UTC

On 1/26/2024 11:08 AM, bfh wrote:
> kmiller wrote:
>> A Republican-appointed federal judge who has served on the bench for
>> 37 years slammed prominent politicians for their "preposterous" claims
>> about how the courts have handled Jan. 6 cases and their attempts to
>> "rewrite history" about the U.S. Capitol attack, saying such rhetoric
>> could foreshadow future far-right violence.
>>
>> Senior U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, appointed to the bench by
>> former President Ronald Reagan in 1987, said at a resentencing hearing
>> Thursday that he is "shocked" at how prominent political figures have
>> talked about the convicted criminals who stormed the Capitol on Jan.
>> 6, 2021, calling the politicians' remarks "preposterous" and warning
>> that such rhetoric "could presage further danger to our country."
>>
>> While Lamberth did not refer to the politicians by name, he used
>> quotations from Reps. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga. (who said rioters behaved
>> "in an orderly fashion" like tourists), Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga.
>> (who called Jan. 6 inmates "political prisoners"), and Elise Stefanik,
>> R-N.Y. (who, echoing former President Donald Trump, called Jan. 6
>> criminals "hostages"). In 2022, the Republican National Committee
>> passed a resolution referring to the events of Jan. 6 as "legitimate
>> political discourse."
>>
>> "The Court is accustomed to defendants who refuse to accept that they
>> did anything wrong. But in my thirty-seven years on the bench, I
>> cannot recall a time when such meritless justifications of criminal
>> activity have gone mainstream," Lamberth said, according to his
>> prepared remarks.
>>
>> "I have been dismayed to see distortions and outright falsehoods seep
>> into the public consciousness,” Lamberth continued before he issued
>> a stark warning: "The Court fears that such destructive, misguided
>> rhetoric could presage further danger to our country."
>
> Just another day, just another threat to democracy.

Just another sexual abuser.