Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: alt.obituaries necrology

SubjectAuthor
* alt.obituaries necrologyDavid Carson
+* Re: alt.obituaries necrologyMig.Rhodes
|`- Re: alt.obituaries necrologyDavid Carson
+- Re: alt.obituaries necrologyLouis Epstein
+* Re: alt.obituaries necrologyLouis Epstein
|+- Re: alt.obituaries necrologyDavid Carson
|`- Re: alt.obituaries necrologyDavid Carson
`- Re: alt.obituaries necrologyDavid Carson

1
alt.obituaries necrology

<uvkcnn$hs10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21533&group=alt.obituaries#21533

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: alt.obituaries necrology
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:20:21 -0500
 by: David Carson - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:20 UTC

Below is my first draft at a list of alt.obituaries posters who have died.
J.D. Baldwin helped me work on it.

2024 Erik Lander, 59 or 60
2024 Joe Pucillo
2022 Mark W. Bickford, 65
2022 Darrell G. Waddell, 59
2022 Amelia Rosner, 69
2021 John W. Gilmer, 65
2020 Michael O'connor, 54
2017 Daevid MacKenzie
2015 Dean G. Huffman
2010 Bill Cmelak, 57
2002 Roy Archer

Additions and corrections are welcome. There should be some certainty that
the person has actually died, not just "they haven't been heard from in
ages." There are a couple of people I did not list who I am strongly
suspicious about, but have no actual evidence for. (The only person above
whose death is not documented is Roy Archer, but there are multiple
specific reasons for including him that surpass mere absence from the
group.)

I have exact dates of death for many, but intend to only use years. I've
used initials when the subject normally used them. For example, Gilmer
used "jwgilmer" as one of his aliases, Huffman used "DGH," etc. O'connor
(lowercase c) used his middle initial initally, but ceased using it after
a while.
I wish to avoid using screen names. Many of the people above used them,
but the only one whose real name was not *very* common knowledge was
Cmelak, who went by "Hoodoo" and "Shrike!" (If there end up being more
people like him, I'm open to doing as needs must.)

Is it better sorted this way, or oldest-to-newest?

David Carson

--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<50c7cad66e894885096996b53910883f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21535&group=alt.obituaries#21535

From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Mig.Rhodes)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: alt.obituaries necrology
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:42:54 +0000
 by: Mig.Rhodes - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:42 UTC

Do I recall an 'Old Curmudgeon' in the early noughties? Who is or was he or she?

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<uvls87$us1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21536&group=alt.obituaries#21536

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:51:16 -0500
 by: David Carson - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:51 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:42:54 +0000, mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk
(Mig.Rhodes) wrote:

>Do I recall an 'Old Curmudgeon' in the early noughties? Who is or was he or she?

That was Roy Archer. He used Old Curmudgeon in his headers, but he put his
real name at the bottom of his posts.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<uvm9bb$d55$4@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21543&group=alt.obituaries#21543

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:34:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:34 UTC

Not sure how much of a habitue hereof someone needs to
be to qualify,but I think I recall the death of Armand
"Sacredcowboys" Du Pont being noted...he had taken over
the Death Game from "ggghostie" (Kihm Winship) and promptly
expelled me,then later suggested that I join having no
apparent recollection of his angry and baseless ouster.

-=-=-

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<uvrig8$qks$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21566&group=alt.obituaries#21566

From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:41:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:41 UTC

David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
> Below is my first draft at a list of alt.obituaries posters who have died.
> J.D. Baldwin helped me work on it.
>
> 2024 Erik Lander, 59 or 60
> 2024 Joe Pucillo
> 2022 Mark W. Bickford, 65
> 2022 Darrell G. Waddell, 59
> 2022 Amelia Rosner, 69
> 2021 John W. Gilmer, 65
> 2020 Michael O'connor, 54
> 2017 Daevid MacKenzie
> 2015 Dean G. Huffman
> 2010 Bill Cmelak, 57
> 2002 Roy Archer
>
> Additions and corrections are welcome. There should be some certainty that
> the person has actually died, not just "they haven't been heard from in
> ages." There are a couple of people I did not list who I am strongly
> suspicious about, but have no actual evidence for. (The only person above
> whose death is not documented is Roy Archer, but there are multiple
> specific reasons for including him that surpass mere absence from the
> group.)

Perhaps there should be a "limbology" for the not-heard-from-in-ages"?
I am curious as to the fate of Roy Lieberman.
Other people who've moved on from posting may be verified as alive
by other means (cf. Jim Beaver) but if we don't know a fate,
there could be a list of those for whom to keep a lookout on news.
> I have exact dates of death for many, but intend to only use years. I've
> used initials when the subject normally used them. For example, Gilmer
> used "jwgilmer" as one of his aliases, Huffman used "DGH," etc. O'connor
> (lowercase c) used his middle initial initally, but ceased using it after
> a while.
>
> I wish to avoid using screen names. Many of the people above used them,
> but the only one whose real name was not *very* common knowledge was
> Cmelak, who went by "Hoodoo" and "Shrike!" (If there end up being more
> people like him, I'm open to doing as needs must.)
>
> Is it better sorted this way, or oldest-to-newest?

I think chronological order is better than reverse.

-=-=-

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<uvrkl7$2c8qh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21567&group=alt.obituaries#21567

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:18:24 -0500
 by: David Carson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:18 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:41:44 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws>
wrote:

>I am curious as to the fate of Roy Lieberman.

I don't remember how long ago this was, but I posted a he's-not-dead
notice about him that last time I heard from him. It was long after his
departure.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<uvrktq$2cbjg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21568&group=alt.obituaries#21568

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:22:59 -0500
 by: David Carson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:22 UTC

wrote:

>David Carson <davidc@wa-wd.com> wrote:
>> Is it better sorted this way, or oldest-to-newest?
>
>I think chronological order is better than reverse.

That was how I made it out originally, but then I thought that a list that
will always and forever begin with the same person is less interesting
than one that begins with a different person most of the time.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: alt.obituaries necrology

<kasc2jtak9i8m8ocpj1h95sb33sk6sl5g4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21642&group=alt.obituaries#21642

From: dav...@wa-wd.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:37:46 -0500
 by: David Carson - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:37 UTC

I've gotten a couple of additions via e-mail. Any other additions can
be submitted via e-mail or here. Please include a link to an obituary,
Facebook post, announcement in this newsgroup, Find-a-Grave bio, or
some other information that supports your assertion that the person
died. A date or year of death and an age are requested.

If the person mainly used screen names and his or her real name was
not general knowledge, I'm leaning toward not including them. (If they
wanted anonymity, they get anonymity.)

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base