From: INVALID_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Hall of Fame Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog, 92
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:25:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: J.D. Baldwin - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/sport/whitey-herzog-cardinals-dies/index.html
\ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Re: Hall of Fame Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog, 92

<8d6f800a2d0c815a83a65ef49fba4932@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21557&group=alt.obituaries#21557

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:53:51 +0000
From: radioact...@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: bryan_styble - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:53 UTC

The late Herzog was a top-notch (and always good-humored!) skipper for the high-flying Redbirds of the 1980s; three World Series during one decade is serious MLB achievement in anyone's baseball book, and even the seventh-game losses in 1985 cross-state in Kansas City and in the Twin Cities in 1987 were at the end of positively titanic Series.

The left-handed hitter (and thrower) never played outfield (or any other position) for the Cardinals, and his playing career covered numerous MLB franchises. Memorably, Herzog put into words what surely has been the philosophy of many successful big- or minor-league managers: "Baseball has been good to me since I quit trying to play it."

The Land of Lincoln native Dorrell Norman Elvert Herzog was born and raised in rural Illinois, but near in-those-days-Archless St. Louis. And that's where Whitey Herzog died at 92 on Monday.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida