How come we never talk anymore?

interests / rec.gambling.lottery / World Lottery Championship RIP?

SubjectAuthor
* World Lottery Championship RIP?nigel
+* Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?Ion Saliu
|`* Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?nigel
| `- Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?Marmaduke Jinks
`- Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?Marmaduke Jinks

1
World Lottery Championship RIP?

<3AedndPoCtUbUeD4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2156&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2156

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!nntp.comgw.net!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.27.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:13:00 +0000
From: use...@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Subject: World Lottery Championship RIP?
 by: nigel - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

Ion Saliu wrote:
> “Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support
new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new
content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of
historical data will still be supported as it is done today.”

If that is correct, it drives a coach and horses through the current WLC
format because some participants posted their entries via Google Groups,
and it was deemed the arbiter of whether entries were posted on time, or
even posted at all.

If a Championship is organised elsewhere from usenet, if it requires
identification or verification via mobile phone or 64-bit browsers to
access, I'm afraid I will pass.

However I'd be interested in learning of other lottery discussion forums
that meet my criteria, particularly if some of the participants have a
working knowledge of statistics and probability,

Nigel

Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?

<fd5c7c63-50a4-43c6-a467-4c85b5f374fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2157&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2157

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!eternal-september.org!news.mixmin.net!news2.arglkargh.de!news.in-chemnitz.de!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:50:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?
From: ionsa...@gmail.com (Ion Saliu)
 by: Ion Saliu - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 22:50 UTC

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 6:13:06 PM UTC+2, nigel wrote:
> Ion Saliu wrote:
> > “Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support
> new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new
> content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of
> historical data will still be supported as it is done today.”
> >

> If that is correct, it drives a coach and horses through the current WLC
> format because some participants posted their entries via Google Groups,
> and it was deemed the arbiter of whether entries were posted on time, or
> even posted at all.
>
> If a Championship is organised elsewhere from usenet, if it requires
> identification or verification via mobile phone or 64-bit browsers to
> access, I'm afraid I will pass.
>
> However I'd be interested in learning of other lottery discussion forums
> that meet my criteria, particularly if some of the participants have a
> working knowledge of statistics and probability,
>
> Nigel

“However I'd be interested in learning of other lottery discussion forums that meet my criteria, particularly if some of the participants have a working knowledge of statistics and probability,
Nigel”

QUITE!

Heck, you can open your own “other lottery discussion forum that meet my criteria”. You & Kotskarr meet such criteria. We’ll do it, Dollow!

“Nigel, Nigel, Doollow, Avast,
You are running oh-so-fast.
No one can see your tail,
For you are the fastest snail.”

https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience

Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?

<ulmfci$2sbia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2158&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2158

From: Jin...@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 09:35:04 -0000
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 09:35 UTC

"nigel" <useweb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Ion Saliu wrote:
> > �Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support
> new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new
> content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of
> historical data will still be supported as it is done today.�
> >

> If that is correct, it drives a coach and horses through the current WLC
> format because some participants posted their entries via Google Groups,
> and it was deemed the arbiter of whether entries were posted on time, or
> even posted at all.
>
> If a Championship is organised elsewhere from usenet, if it requires
> identification or verification via mobile phone or 64-bit browsers to
> access, I'm afraid I will pass.
>
> However I'd be interested in learning of other lottery discussion forums
> that meet my criteria, particularly if some of the participants have a
> working knowledge of statistics and probability,
>
> Nigel

Oh. I have an account with eternal september. It's free. Hardly ever used
Google Groups.

Some people use Thunderbird as their mail client. I have that but use an
old Outlook Express copy for reading/writing.
https://www.eternal-september.org/

MJ

Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?

<lNmcnWQx5oEz2B34nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2159&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2159

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:14:20 +0000
From: use...@nospam.com (nigel)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
 by: nigel - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:14 UTC

Ion Saliu wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience

Sadly, I wouldn't be able to contribute there unless someone can tell me
how to validate my Google ID without a mobile phone. Google Help
certainly can't.

Re: World Lottery Championship RIP?

<ulrotl$1vc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2161&group=rec.gambling.lottery#2161

From: Jin...@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:48:36 -0000
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:48 UTC

> Ion Saliu wrote:
>

>> https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience
>>

> Sadly, I wouldn't be able to contribute there unless someone can tell me
> how to validate my Google ID without a mobile phone. Google Help certainly
> can't.

I can't find that group called gamblingscience on usenet anyway.

If Google aren't allowing posts then wouldn't it be redundant to to go to
Google Groups?

Not sure if you're using an iPad but there is a newsreader for Usenet on the
Applestore called Newstap.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/newstap-usenet-newsreader/id292410356

In one of the other groups someone wrote: we use our iPads with Newstap and
connect via Eternal September.

MJ