Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read. -- Mark Twain

interests / rec.pets.cats.anecdotes / Re: Smokey has gone deaf

SubjectAuthor
* Smokey has gone deafBill Stock
+* Re: Smokey has gone deafjmcquown
|`* Re: Smokey has gone deafBill Stock
| `- Re: Smokey has gone deafjmcquown
`- Re: Smokey has gone deafJudith Latham

1
Smokey has gone deaf

<8c951540-74cc-46f6-a1e0-1b2e71cfa471n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=212&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#212

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Smokey has gone deaf
From: will_st...@yahoo.com (Bill Stock)
 by: Bill Stock - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:19 UTC

We're not too sure when it happened, probably about a week or two. At first we thought she was just ignoring us. 😁 I can walk up behind her and touch her and she is startled and Mrrrrs. We think she might be blind now too, as I can approach her from the front and she was startled as well. She's had cataracts for a while, so I'm not sure of the extent of this. She seemed to be having trouble with the box the last few days in the morning, so I have been picking her up and putting her in the box.

She just had her head in the bowl and she pooped in the box a while ago. She has very bad arthritis and has been restricted to the upstairs for about two years. She's been eating fairly well, except for the last little while. She's also been losing muscle mass for a few weeks. I don't think she's in any pain, except for the arthritis. She has not been exhibiting any hiding behaviour. She's spending more time in bed, some days she's up about two hours and heads back to bed. She has to ring for the elevator to get back in bed, it's been like this for about a year. Not sure how she's navigating from bed to my office, other than she has to stop along the way.

I was hoping that she was going to pass on her own, but it's not much of a life for her either. Still got her head in the bowl though. 😁 I just don't want to wait too long and have her get sick-er. She's approaching 20 now BTW.

Re: Smokey has gone deaf

<usCUI.84231$Qp7.7749@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=213&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#213

Subject: Re: Smokey has gone deaf
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:02:18 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 01:02 UTC

On 8/22/2021 7:19 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
> We're not too sure when it happened, probably about a week or two. At first we thought she was just ignoring us. 😁 I can walk up behind her and touch her and she is startled and Mrrrrs. We think she might be blind now too, as I can approach her from the front and she was startled as well. She's had cataracts for a while, so I'm not sure of the extent of this. She seemed to be having trouble with the box the last few days in the morning, so I have been picking her up and putting her in the box.
>
> She just had her head in the bowl and she pooped in the box a while ago. She has very bad arthritis and has been restricted to the upstairs for about two years. She's been eating fairly well, except for the last little while. She's also been losing muscle mass for a few weeks. I don't think she's in any pain, except for the arthritis. She has not been exhibiting any hiding behaviour. She's spending more time in bed, some days she's up about two hours and heads back to bed. She has to ring for the elevator to get back in bed, it's been like this for about a year. Not sure how she's navigating from bed to my office, other than she has to stop along the way.
>
> I was hoping that she was going to pass on her own, but it's not much of a life for her either. Still got her head in the bowl though. 😁 I just don't want to wait too long and have her get sick-er. She's approaching 20 now BTW.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I know the feeling and it's a struggle but
I think you know the best thing to do for her.

Jill

Re: Smokey has gone deaf

<51381c4b-d24d-4fd6-a5dc-f773353792a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=214&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#214

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: will_st...@yahoo.com (Bill Stock)
 by: Bill Stock - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 03:24 UTC

On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 9:02:20 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 8/22/2021 7:19 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
> > We're not too sure when it happened, probably about a week or two. At first we thought she was just ignoring us. 😁 I can walk up behind her and touch her and she is startled and Mrrrrs. We think she might be blind now too, as I can approach her from the front and she was startled as well. She's had cataracts for a while, so I'm not sure of the extent of this.. She seemed to be having trouble with the box the last few days in the morning, so I have been picking her up and putting her in the box.
> >
> > She just had her head in the bowl and she pooped in the box a while ago.. She has very bad arthritis and has been restricted to the upstairs for about two years. She's been eating fairly well, except for the last little while. She's also been losing muscle mass for a few weeks. I don't think she's in any pain, except for the arthritis. She has not been exhibiting any hiding behaviour. She's spending more time in bed, some days she's up about two hours and heads back to bed. She has to ring for the elevator to get back in bed, it's been like this for about a year. Not sure how she's navigating from bed to my office, other than she has to stop along the way.
> >
> > I was hoping that she was going to pass on her own, but it's not much of a life for her either. Still got her head in the bowl though. 😁 I just don't want to wait too long and have her get sick-er. She's approaching 20 now BTW.
> >
> I'm very sorry to hear this. I know the feeling and it's a struggle but
> I think you know the best thing to do for her.
>
> Jill
Thanks 🤗

Sorry to read about Buffy

Re: Smokey has gone deaf

<59608b3cf7judith@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=216&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#216

From: jud...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Judith Latham)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:37:53 +0100
 by: Judith Latham - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:37 UTC

In article <8c951540-74cc-46f6-a1e0-1b2e71cfa471n@googlegroups.com>, Bill
Stock <will_stock@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We're not too sure when it happened, probably about a week or two. At
> first we thought she was just ignoring us. # I can walk up behind her
> and touch her and she is startled and Mrrrrs. We think she might be
> blind now too, as I can approach her from the front and she was startled
> as well. She's had cataracts for a while, so I'm not sure of the extent
> of this. She seemed to be having trouble with the box the last few days
> in the morning, so I have been picking her up and putting her in the
> box.

> She just had her head in the bowl and she pooped in the box a while ago.
> She has very bad arthritis and has been restricted to the upstairs for
> about two years. She's been eating fairly well, except for the last
> little while. She's also been losing muscle mass for a few weeks. I
> don't think she's in any pain, except for the arthritis. She has not
> been exhibiting any hiding behaviour. She's spending more time in bed,
> some days she's up about two hours and heads back to bed. She has to
> ring for the elevator to get back in bed, it's been like this for about
> a year. Not sure how she's navigating from bed to my office, other than
> she has to stop along the way.

> I was hoping that she was going to pass on her own, but it's not much of
> a life for her either. Still got her head in the bowl though. # I just
> don't want to wait too long and have her get sick-er. She's approaching
> 20 now BTW.

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's a horrible decision to make. I'm sure she
will show you when she's ready for the bridge. purrs for Smokey and for
you too.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Re: Smokey has gone deaf

<ykUUI.4861$qV1.4551@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=219&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#219

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 17:22:37 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:22 UTC

On 8/22/2021 11:24 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
> On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 9:02:20 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>> On 8/22/2021 7:19 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
>>> We're not too sure when it happened, probably about a week or two. At first we thought she was just ignoring us. 😁 I can walk up behind her and touch her and she is startled and Mrrrrs. We think she might be blind now too, as I can approach her from the front and she was startled as well. She's had cataracts for a while, so I'm not sure of the extent of this. She seemed to be having trouble with the box the last few days in the morning, so I have been picking her up and putting her in the box.
>>>
>>> She just had her head in the bowl and she pooped in the box a while ago. She has very bad arthritis and has been restricted to the upstairs for about two years. She's been eating fairly well, except for the last little while. She's also been losing muscle mass for a few weeks. I don't think she's in any pain, except for the arthritis. She has not been exhibiting any hiding behaviour. She's spending more time in bed, some days she's up about two hours and heads back to bed. She has to ring for the elevator to get back in bed, it's been like this for about a year. Not sure how she's navigating from bed to my office, other than she has to stop along the way.
>>>
>>> I was hoping that she was going to pass on her own, but it's not much of a life for her either. Still got her head in the bowl though. 😁 I just don't want to wait too long and have her get sick-er. She's approaching 20 now BTW.
>>>
>> I'm very sorry to hear this. I know the feeling and it's a struggle but
>> I think you know the best thing to do for her.
>>
>> Jill
> Thanks 🤗
>
> Sorry to read about Buffy

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about Smokey's problems. :(

Jill