From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:47:43 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:47 UTC

The weatherpeople warned about not leaving anything outside that could
blow away but I didn't consider that.

Luckily nothing cracked and I was able to put it back together.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-no-spill-large-lantern

Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!

<EqYnN.147679$PuZ9.101980@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=219&group=rec.birds#219

Subject: Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and
into two pieces!
Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:44:13 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:44 UTC

On 1/9/2024 7:47 PM, super70s wrote:
> The weatherpeople warned about not leaving anything outside that could
> blow away but I didn't consider that.
>
> Luckily nothing cracked and I was able to put it back together.
>
> https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-no-spill-large-lantern

I'm glad your lantern feeder didn't crack. We had very high gusting
winds with that storm, too. The Brome squirrel buster feeder hangs from
a shepherd's hook; it didn't go anywhere.

There's another very similar storm on the way!

Jill <---in Southern South Carolina

Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!

<super70s-5CBA31.23003711012024@reader.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=220&group=rec.birds#220

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:00:37 -0600
 by: super70s - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:00 UTC

In article <EqYnN.147679$PuZ9.101980@fx11.iad>,
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 1/9/2024 7:47 PM, super70s wrote:
> > The weatherpeople warned about not leaving anything outside that could
> > blow away but I didn't consider that.
> >
> > Luckily nothing cracked and I was able to put it back together.
> >
> > https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-no-spill-large-lante
> > rn
> >

> I'm glad your lantern feeder didn't crack. We had very high gusting
> winds with that storm, too. The Brome squirrel buster feeder hangs from
> a shepherd's hook; it didn't go anywhere.
>
> There's another very similar storm on the way!
>
> Jill <---in Southern South Carolina

Yes this weekend, this time the feeder's going inside. lol.

I'll be sure to take care of them on Monday if there's a big snow on the
ground. That's the only time I ever spread seed on the ground (because
of squirrels).

I just put my lantern feeder on a 6' steel pole with an "umbrella" type
baffle underneath it, never seen a squirrel defeat it yet. Easier to set
it on the ground when refilling.

Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!

<OOcoN.202839$p%Mb.56993@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221&group=rec.birds#221

into two pieces!
Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:22:15 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:22 UTC

On 1/12/2024 12:00 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <EqYnN.147679$PuZ9.101980@fx11.iad>,
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/9/2024 7:47 PM, super70s wrote:
>>> The weatherpeople warned about not leaving anything outside that could
>>> blow away but I didn't consider that.
>>>
>>> Luckily nothing cracked and I was able to put it back together.
>>>
>>> https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stokes-select-no-spill-large-lante
>>> rn
>>>

>> I'm glad your lantern feeder didn't crack. We had very high gusting
>> winds with that storm, too. The Brome squirrel buster feeder hangs from
>> a shepherd's hook; it didn't go anywhere.
>>
>> There's another very similar storm on the way!
>>
>> Jill <---in Southern South Carolina
>
> Yes this weekend, this time the feeder's going inside. lol.
>
> I'll be sure to take care of them on Monday if there's a big snow on the
> ground. That's the only time I ever spread seed on the ground (because
> of squirrels).
>
> I just put my lantern feeder on a 6' steel pole with an "umbrella" type
> baffle underneath it, never seen a squirrel defeat it yet. Easier to set
> it on the ground when refilling.

Not to sound like an advertisement but I love the Brome Squirrel Buster
tube feeder. It has a mesh cage on the outside of the plastic seed
tube. (The tube is ventilated to keep seed fresh.) The perches are on
springs. If anything heavier than a cardinal lands on it, the perches
fold downward and the seed tube closes. I've seen a few squirrels try
to get to it by hanging upside down on the mesh but they are not at all
comfortable trying to eat that way so they give up.

https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-legacy/

Jill

Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!

<unsf3p$3kbcb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223&group=rec.birds#223

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:39:53 -0600
 by: super70s - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:39 UTC

On 2024-01-12 15:22:15 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 1/12/2024 12:00 AM, super70s wrote:
>> In article <EqYnN.147679$PuZ9.101980@fx11.iad>,
>> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I'm glad your lantern feeder didn't crack. We had very high gusting
>>> winds with that storm, too. The Brome squirrel buster feeder hangs from
>>> a shepherd's hook; it didn't go anywhere.
>>>
>>> There's another very similar storm on the way!
>>>
>>> Jill <---in Southern South Carolina
>>
>> Yes this weekend, this time the feeder's going inside. lol.
>>
>> I'll be sure to take care of them on Monday if there's a big snow on the
>> ground. That's the only time I ever spread seed on the ground (because
>> of squirrels).
>>
>> I just put my lantern feeder on a 6' steel pole with an "umbrella" type
>> baffle underneath it, never seen a squirrel defeat it yet. Easier to set
>> it on the ground when refilling.
>
> Not to sound like an advertisement but I love the Brome Squirrel Buster
> tube feeder. It has a mesh cage on the outside of the plastic seed
> tube. (The tube is ventilated to keep seed fresh.) The perches are on
> springs. If anything heavier than a cardinal lands on it, the perches
> fold downward and the seed tube closes. I've seen a few squirrels try
> to get to it by hanging upside down on the mesh but they are not at all
> comfortable trying to eat that way so they give up.
>
> https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-legacy/
>
> Jill

That looks like a nice one and would probably be a good investment.
Looks like they're currently out of stock though.

What is the "free cardinal ring" for -- just a longer ring because
cardinals aren't as nimble as the smaller birds?

I had one of those weight-sensitive feeders like that on a pole several
years ago, the squirrels would just climb up the pole, raise their arm
up above their head and grab some seed, lol.

Re: 1/9 - winds so bad my "lantern" type feeder blew off the pole and into two pieces!

<%MSoN.40575$5Hnd.23177@fx03.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224&group=rec.birds#224

into two pieces!
Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:07:35 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:07 UTC

On 1/12/2024 5:39 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-01-12 15:22:15 +0000, jmcquown said:
>
>> On 1/12/2024 12:00 AM, super70s wrote:

>>> Yes this weekend, this time the feeder's going inside. lol.
>>>
>>> I'll be sure to take care of them on Monday if there's a big snow on the
>>> ground. That's the only time I ever spread seed on the ground (because
>>> of squirrels).
>>>
>>> I just put my lantern feeder on a 6' steel pole with an "umbrella" type
>>> baffle underneath it, never seen a squirrel defeat it yet. Easier to set
>>> it on the ground when refilling.
>>
>> Not to sound like an advertisement but I love the Brome Squirrel
>> Buster tube feeder.  It has a mesh cage on the outside of the plastic
>> seed tube.  (The tube is ventilated to keep seed fresh.)  The perches
>> are on springs.  If anything heavier than a cardinal lands on it, the
>> perches fold downward and the seed tube closes.  I've seen a few
>> squirrels try to get to it by hanging upside down on the mesh but they
>> are not at all comfortable trying to eat that way so they give up.
>>
>> https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-legacy/
>>
>> Jill
>
> That looks like a nice one and would probably be a good investment.
> Looks like they're currently out of stock though.
>
> What is the "free cardinal ring" for -- just a longer ring because
> cardinals aren't as nimble as the smaller birds?

I don't know; my feeder is fairly old and doesn't have a "cardinal
ring". Perhaps it is because cardinals like a wider perch than the wire
ones? It doesn't stop them from coming around. :)

> I had one of those weight-sensitive feeders like that on a pole several
> years ago, the squirrels would just climb up the pole,  raise their arm
> up above their head and grab some seed, lol.

LOL Since mine hangs from a sheperd's hook squirrels can't climb up a
pole and reach *up* to grab the seed. White tail deer, however,
occasionally wander by at dusk. They approach it from below and lick
the seed out with their long tongues. I shoo them away and bring the
feeder inside until the next day.

Jill