Never get into fights with ugly people because they have nothing to lose.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Grilled Ham and Cheese

SubjectAuthor
* Grilled Ham and Cheesefos
+* Re: Grilled Ham and Cheesesongbird

Pages:12
Grilled Ham and Cheese

<slrnti8qj3.ldj.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=220782&group=rec.food.cooking#220782

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Subject: Grilled Ham and Cheese
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:21:55 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:21 UTC

https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803

had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.

i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
smaller and smaller.

anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
instead?

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<92bevi-jr4.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=220790&group=rec.food.cooking#220790

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:42:01 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:42 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803
>
> had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
> grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
> smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.
>
> i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
> eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
> times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
> smaller and smaller.
>
> anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
> increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
> instead?

price increases for sure along with the fact that perhaps not
as many people are eating from the deli any more because it has
gotten so expensive.

usually price-wise it is so much less expensive to eat things
you've made yourself instead of paid others to do.

i only like to have sandwich meats once in a while and not all
the time. it used to be that i ate them almost every day --- when
they were budget cuts and not priced even more than ground beef or
chuck. now we make burgers a fair amount of the time instead.

songbird

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<9fd576b9-0c8b-44fe-9ea7-348ad69c3469n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=220846&group=rec.food.cooking#220846

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:15 UTC

On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 7:22:02 AM UTC-5, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803
>
> had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
> grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
> smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.
>
> i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
> eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
> times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
> smaller and smaller.
>
> anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
> increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
> instead?
>
> --
> f...@sdf.org
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

I was at the grocery store yesterday and the deli counter was packed as
always and they stock Boars Head meats and cheeses. There might be
some house brand cheese in there as well. That stuff is in the $12-$15
range per pound, I just buy a small boneless ham and cook it. I bought
one yesterday but forgot to buy a bottle of apple juice.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<lUuVK.34356$x5w7.3300@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221071&group=rec.food.cooking#221071

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:55:36 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 01:55 UTC

On 9/16/2022 8:21, fos@sdf.org wrote:
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803
>
> had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
> grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
> smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.
>
> i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
> eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
> times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
> smaller and smaller.
>
> anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
> increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
> instead?

Hard to say, but my store's deli always looks the same. I only get the
same thing each time, a light pound of Isaly's chip-chopped ham, and
about the same amount of whatever sliced cheese is on sale. Typically,
I spend fewer than $5 per pound for each.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<slrntim6l5.rlj.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221862&group=rec.food.cooking#221862

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:07:33 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:07 UTC

On 2022-09-16, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> fos@sdf.org wrote:
>> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803

>> had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
>> grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
>> smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.

>> i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
>> eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
>> times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
>> smaller and smaller.

>> anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
>> increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
>> instead?

> price increases for sure along with the fact that perhaps not
> as many people are eating from the deli any more because it has
> gotten so expensive.

> usually price-wise it is so much less expensive to eat things
> you've made yourself instead of paid others to do.

> i only like to have sandwich meats once in a while and not all
> the time. it used to be that i ate them almost every day --- when
> they were budget cuts and not priced even more than ground beef or
> chuck. now we make burgers a fair amount of the time instead.

i've noticed the shrinking of the deli counters in grocery stores only.
specialty deli's such as Italian and Middle Eastern stores with imported
products still appear to be thriving. i got the ham and cheese at Tops
Friendly Market. there used to be nice selection of different brands of
cold cuts in different price ranges. i don't and never have made food
choices based on price, i like what i like and if the price for what i
like is high so be it.

the selection of brands (at Tops or Walmart) isn't what it used to be.
there used to 5-6 different brands of ham and now there's three. long
ago i too was one who ate cold cuts often, they were the meat in the
defacto sandwiches in my lunch buckets for many years. but now between
the sodium and nitrites / preservatives, it's not the healthiest stuff
to eat.

that's what has me wondering. is the cold cut industry consolidating like
many others now? are prices driving people away? or are people starting
to eat more health consciously? the last, in the USA anyway is almost
laughable when the shelves and coolers in most stores are lined with
prepared foods.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<29bd6417-0572-4724-9d41-bca31cdc1b9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221867&group=rec.food.cooking#221867

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:38 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10:07:42 AM UTC-4, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2022-09-16, songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
> > f...@sdf.org wrote:
> >> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22803
>
> >> had a taste for grilled ham and cheese last night so i stopped at a
> >> grocery store to get some of both at the deli. Kretchmar cherrywood
> >> smoked ham, Cooper sharp american cheese, multi grain bread.
>
> >> i rarely go to deli's to get cold cuts anymore, is a terrible thing to
> >> eat for people watching sodium intake. every time i do which is a few
> >> times a year, i notice the deli meat and cheese selections are getting
> >> smaller and smaller.
>
> >> anyone else noticing this trend? why? people eating healthier? price
> >> increases? eating deli prepared foods (cold pasta dishes, salads, etc)
> >> instead?
>
> > price increases for sure along with the fact that perhaps not
> > as many people are eating from the deli any more because it has
> > gotten so expensive.
>
> > usually price-wise it is so much less expensive to eat things
> > you've made yourself instead of paid others to do.
>
> > i only like to have sandwich meats once in a while and not all
> > the time. it used to be that i ate them almost every day --- when
> > they were budget cuts and not priced even more than ground beef or
> > chuck. now we make burgers a fair amount of the time instead.
> i've noticed the shrinking of the deli counters in grocery stores only.

Not in the big cities. No way!

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<oqnrvi-im9.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221868&group=rec.food.cooking#221868

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:39:36 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:39 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> the selection of brands (at Tops or Walmart) isn't what it used to be.
> there used to 5-6 different brands of ham and now there's three. long
> ago i too was one who ate cold cuts often, they were the meat in the
> defacto sandwiches in my lunch buckets for many years. but now between
> the sodium and nitrites / preservatives, it's not the healthiest stuff
> to eat.

it was like magic, as i was reading this reply Mom brought
me a few slices of ring bologna.

> that's what has me wondering. is the cold cut industry consolidating like
> many others now? are prices driving people away? or are people starting
> to eat more health consciously? the last, in the USA anyway is almost
> laughable when the shelves and coolers in most stores are lined with
> prepared foods.

i think it is part supply chain issue, higher prices,
labor and shipping shortages, etc.

she just asked me if i wanted more. sure. it's good and
lunchtime and the first time i've had it in a few months.

songbird

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<slrntimq2s.jis.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221891&group=rec.food.cooking#221891

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:39:08 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:39 UTC

On 2022-09-21, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> fos@sdf.org wrote:
>> the selection of brands (at Tops or Walmart) isn't what it used to be.
>> there used to 5-6 different brands of ham and now there's three. long
>> ago i too was one who ate cold cuts often, they were the meat in the
>> defacto sandwiches in my lunch buckets for many years. but now between
>> the sodium and nitrites / preservatives, it's not the healthiest stuff
>> to eat.

> it was like magic, as i was reading this reply Mom brought
> me a few slices of ring bologna.

that's too funny, the timing of it. :)

i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
for authentic German products.

https://swanmarket.com

it's too far off my beaten path to go there frequently anymore. :( i do
get there from time to time to buy their artisan sausage.

>> that's what has me wondering. is the cold cut industry consolidating like
>> many others now? are prices driving people away? or are people starting
>> to eat more health consciously? the last, in the USA anyway is almost
>> laughable when the shelves and coolers in most stores are lined with
>> prepared foods.

> i think it is part supply chain issue, higher prices,
> labor and shipping shortages, etc.

there's a whole lot of pasta dishes and salads taking up the space of
the shrinking deli's. it wouldn't be there if people weren't buying it.
people are paying lots of money for store prepared food that would cost
nearly nothing to make themselves. lazy idiots.

that's part of it too i think.

> she just asked me if i wanted more. sure. it's good and
> lunchtime and the first time i've had it in a few months.

nom nom nom. now you have me thinking about getting a half chub of
german bologna to smoke and make bologna and onion sandwiches. i score
the chub deep lengthwise at least 4 times to expose more surface area,
slather it with cheap yellow mustard, and sprinkle it with a dry memphis
style rub. then it goes on the grill low and slow at around 250F degrees
for a couple hours with some cherry and apple wood added to the coals.
the onions will be sauteed in oil and butter with a splash of dry
vermouth added when they're nearly finished. the bologna will get sliced
rather thick and it'll be served with the onions on kaiser rolls.

if i get around to it (weather permitting) and am sober enough to remember
to take pictures i'll do it and post them.

thanks for the idea. ;)

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<08LWK.311594$wLZ8.34817@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221898&group=rec.food.cooking#221898

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:13:32 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:13 UTC

On 2022-09-21, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:

> i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
> brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
> for authentic German products.

While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
It was very tasty.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<slrntiol5g.crh.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222029&group=rec.food.cooking#222029

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:27:28 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:27 UTC

On 2022-09-21, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 2022-09-21, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:

>> i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
>> brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
>> for authentic German products.

> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
> It was very tasty.

we're doing a "colors of fall" road trip up to the Adirondacks and maybe
the Thousand Islands for a long weekend in a couple weeks. our road food
is often cold cuts on wraps with vegetables and condiments. i'd rather
stop and and eat from the tailgate somewhere with a great view than go to
a restaurant or fast food joint. will be stopping at the German market in
my previous post for i don't know what yet. will make up my mind when i'm
there. one thing for sure though is head cheese. i like me a Dagwood
Sandwich (wrap), that is multiple kinds of cold cuts wrapped up together.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<7KYWK.478480$Ny99.93973@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222033&group=rec.food.cooking#222033

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:41:39 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:41 UTC

On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2022-09-21, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-09-21, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
>
>>> i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
>>> brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
>>> for authentic German products.
>
>> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
>> It was very tasty.
>
> we're doing a "colors of fall" road trip up to the Adirondacks and maybe
> the Thousand Islands for a long weekend in a couple weeks. our road food
> is often cold cuts on wraps with vegetables and condiments. i'd rather
> stop and and eat from the tailgate somewhere with a great view than go to
> a restaurant or fast food joint. will be stopping at the German market in
> my previous post for i don't know what yet. will make up my mind when i'm
> there. one thing for sure though is head cheese. i like me a Dagwood
> Sandwich (wrap), that is multiple kinds of cold cuts wrapped up together.

When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.

We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip. We would have liked
to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
restaurant that we tried on Day 1. It was... nothing special.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<ak2uvi-182.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222034&group=rec.food.cooking#222034

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:56:10 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:56 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> thanks for the idea. ;)

ha! welcome!

songbird

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<ZNZWK.478481$Ny99.37304@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222039&group=rec.food.cooking#222039

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:53:59 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:53 UTC

On 2022-09-22 8:27 a.m., fos@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2022-09-21, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-09-21, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
>
>>> i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
>>> brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
>>> for authentic German products.
>
>> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
>> It was very tasty.
>
> we're doing a "colors of fall" road trip up to the Adirondacks and maybe
> the Thousand Islands for a long weekend in a couple weeks.

Timing is important for fall colour trips. A few years ago we went up to
my SiL's place in Bracebridge for (Canadian) Thanksgiving and we went
over to Dorset to climb the fire tower to see the fall foillage. We had
missed it. The maple leaves had a fallen and the only leaves left on the
trees were the oaks, and they just turn brown. One Thanksgiving we went
up to Montreal to spend the weekend with our son. Just inside the Quebec
boundary there were maple forests on both sides of the highway and the
red, yellow and orange leaves were so bright they were almost glowing.

The problem with the really dramatic colour changes is that they don't
last. There is only a few days of the really magnificent displays and
then the leaves start falling. Down here in Niagara we still have lots
of hardwood forest. The displays are not as magnificent but it is a much
slower process so it lasts a while. The leaves are just starting to
change here and by the end of the month the leaves will all be gone.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<vRZWK.478482$Ny99.391809@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222040&group=rec.food.cooking#222040

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:57:46 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:57 UTC

On 2022-09-22 8:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:

> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.
>
> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip. We would have liked
> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
> restaurant that we tried on Day 1. It was... nothing special.

I am sorry to say that all of my experiences with Japanese restaurants
(in Canada) have been..... nothing special.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<slrntios0f.1g8.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222043&group=rec.food.cooking#222043

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:24:15 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:24 UTC

On 2022-09-22, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:

>>> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
>>> It was very tasty.

>> we're doing a "colors of fall" road trip up to the Adirondacks and maybe
>> the Thousand Islands for a long weekend in a couple weeks. our road food
>> is often cold cuts on wraps with vegetables and condiments. i'd rather
>> stop and and eat from the tailgate somewhere with a great view than go to
>> a restaurant or fast food joint. will be stopping at the German market in
>> my previous post for i don't know what yet. will make up my mind when i'm
>> there. one thing for sure though is head cheese. i like me a Dagwood
>> Sandwich (wrap), that is multiple kinds of cold cuts wrapped up together.

> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.

i wholeheartedly agree with that, it is a huge part of the enjoyment of
traveling.

we found our favorite Italian steakhouse by chance, ironically, on the
way home from a long weekend in the Adirondacks after a day of meandering
back and forth across the border of Vermont and New York to take in the
sights. after hitting the highway somewhere east of Utica i got off a
random exit near Utica and asked my wife to pick a restaurant to stop
at. we ended up at Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse and were delighted
when we asked for a business card so we knew where to return next time we
were in the area, to find out out it's a very small chain with a
restaurant in Rochester.

https://www.delmonicositaliansteakhouse.com

but this is a "colors of fall" road trip. the whole point is to be on
the road and outside enjoying the changing colors, not sitting in
restaurants at least three times a day. we even reserved an efficiency
hotel room at a quiet lake side resort for the weekend so we can cook our
own meals at our leisure. cooking is fun too donchaknow. i'll even have
my Weber Smokey Joe grill and charcoal in the suv too. cooking is fun
donchaknow! ;)

> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip. We would have liked
> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
> restaurant that we tried on Day 1. It was... nothing special.

one of the best Chinese restaurants i've ever eaten at was in Spearfish,
South Dakota. i don't remember the name of it but i am sure i can find
it again.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<Km_WK.216113$9Yp5.25443@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222046&group=rec.food.cooking#222046

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 10:33:15 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:33 UTC

On 9/22/2022 9:57 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-22 8:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
>

>> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.
>>
>> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
>> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip.  We would have liked
>> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
>> restaurant that we tried on Day 1.  It was... nothing special.
>>

> I am sorry to say that all of my experiences with Japanese restaurants
> (in Canada) have been..... nothing special.

Some cuisines are not easy to duplicate for the masses. You'd do better
finding a restaurant that specializes in Vegetarian Standard Meal.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<yF_WK.166493$elEa.131609@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222049&group=rec.food.cooking#222049

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 10:53:18 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:53 UTC

On 2022-09-22 10:33 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2022 9:57 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2022-09-22 8:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
>>

>>> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.
>>>
>>> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
>>> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip.  We would have liked
>>> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
>>> restaurant that we tried on Day 1.  It was... nothing special.
>>>

>> I am sorry to say that all of my experiences with Japanese restaurants
>> (in Canada) have been..... nothing special.
>>

> Some cuisines are not easy to duplicate for the masses.  You'd do better
> finding a restaurant that specializes in Vegetarian Standard Meal.

Actually, I think those places were trying their best to appeal to the
masses. I suspect their food was dumbed down to the lowest common
denominator.They were likely the McDonalds of Japanese cooking.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<jp3ouvF4brtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222076&group=rec.food.cooking#222076

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 04:47:58 +1000
 by: Bruce - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:47 UTC

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:57:46 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-09-22 8:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-22, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
>

>> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.
>>
>> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
>> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip. We would have liked
>> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
>> restaurant that we tried on Day 1. It was... nothing special.
>>

>I am sorry to say that all of my experiences with Japanese restaurants
>(in Canada) have been..... nothing special.

If they were all nothing to write home about, Japanese cuisine is
probably not for you.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<3c566342-5d6b-48bc-8051-1dbcfe779d3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222079&group=rec.food.cooking#222079

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:09 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 5:13:38 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-09-21, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> >
> > i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
> > brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
> > for authentic German products.
> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
> It was very tasty.

I had no idea that Mortadell was actually German baloney.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<87a769eb-b421-4f79-a7d9-30efbf87bb6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222082&group=rec.food.cooking#222082

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:31 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 2:09:55 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 5:13:38 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On 2022-09-21, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > i love me some German bologna. at grocery deli's most have Wunderbar
> > > brand which i prefer. when i worked in the city i frequented this market
> > > for authentic German products.
> > While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
> > It was very tasty.
> I had no idea that Mortadell was actually German baloney.

It isn't German, and it's not baloney.
https://volpi.square.site/product/volpi-pistachio-mortadell-deli-sliced/690
I do eat mortadella, and I DO NOT eat baloney.

--Bryan

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<41264a38-1835-496d-8c1a-a318f433631en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222147&group=rec.food.cooking#222147

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 00:28 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 2:41:45 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-09-22, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:

> >> While I was incommunicado, I bought a little mortadella with pistachios.
> >> It was very tasty.
> >
> > we're doing a "colors of fall" road trip up to the Adirondacks and maybe
> > the Thousand Islands for a long weekend in a couple weeks. our road food
> > is often cold cuts on wraps with vegetables and condiments. i'd rather
> > stop and and eat from the tailgate somewhere with a great view than go to
> > a restaurant or fast food joint. will be stopping at the German market in
> > my previous post for i don't know what yet. will make up my mind when i'm
> > there. one thing for sure though is head cheese. i like me a Dagwood
> > Sandwich (wrap), that is multiple kinds of cold cuts wrapped up together.
> When we liked to travel, trying new restaurants was part of the fun.
>
> We were chagrined to find a great little sushi bar a block from our
> hotel on the last day of our second Toronto trip. We would have liked
> to have found it on the first day of our trip and avoided the Japanese
> restaurant that we tried on Day 1. It was... nothing special.
>
> --
> Cindy Hamilton

We went to a sushi restaurant last night. Boy, that was a weird experience. The cold noodle dish had a thick, syrupy, sauce. The taste was about right but the slimy feel while eating the noodles was awful. I had to return the dish. The shrimp tempura was under cooked and returned.
There was a couple of dishes that nobody ordered. We boxed them up and took them home. I'm eating some garlic chicken at the moment. The orders are made on tablets so there's a problem with some kind of software glitch. Anyway, the next time we go there, we're going to have to be more careful and confirm our orders before pressing that send order button.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<B8aXK.35741$x5w7.27264@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222175&group=rec.food.cooking#222175

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 23:57:24 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 03:57 UTC

On 9/22/2022 20:28, dsi1 wrote:

> We went to a sushi restaurant last night. Boy, that was a weird
> experience. The cold noodle dish had a thick, syrupy, sauce. The
> taste was about right but the slimy feel while eating the noodles was
> awful. I had to return the dish. The shrimp tempura was under cooked
> and returned. There was a couple of dishes that nobody ordered. We
> boxed them up and took them home. I'm eating some garlic chicken at
> the moment. The orders are made on tablets so there's a problem with
> some kind of software glitch. Anyway, the next time we go there,
> we're going to have to be more careful and confirm our orders before
> pressing that send order button.

Is that the weird conveyor-belt restaurant?

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<1d7e1e8e-3345-4d91-8e31-7cb2f7ad586bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222181&group=rec.food.cooking#222181

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 04:23 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 5:57:27 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/22/2022 20:28, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > We went to a sushi restaurant last night. Boy, that was a weird
> > experience. The cold noodle dish had a thick, syrupy, sauce. The
> > taste was about right but the slimy feel while eating the noodles was
> > awful. I had to return the dish. The shrimp tempura was under cooked
> > and returned. There was a couple of dishes that nobody ordered. We
> > boxed them up and took them home. I'm eating some garlic chicken at
> > the moment. The orders are made on tablets so there's a problem with
> > some kind of software glitch. Anyway, the next time we go there,
> > we're going to have to be more careful and confirm our orders before
> > pressing that send order button.
> Is that the weird conveyor-belt restaurant?

It's not a conveyor belt type restaurant where you grab your choice off an endless parade of dishes. In this case, you order your selection off of a tablet and it gets transported to you on a shuttle craft. There are two tracks that serve about 6 tables of diners. The dishes are color coded with the price of each item.

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/2575561/mg2300-genki-waikele*1200xx1500-845-0-109.jpg

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<tgjsi2$2g5rr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222224&group=rec.food.cooking#222224

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 04:59:47 -0400
 by: Gary - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:59 UTC

dsi1 wrote:
> We went to a sushi restaurant last night. Boy, that was a weird experience. The cold noodle dish had a thick, syrupy, sauce. The taste was about right but the slimy feel while eating the noodles was awful. I had to return the dish. The shrimp tempura was under cooked and returned.
> There was a couple of dishes that nobody ordered. We boxed them up and took them home. I'm eating some garlic chicken at the moment. The orders are made on tablets so there's a problem with some kind of software glitch. Anyway, the next time we go there, we're going to have to be more careful and confirm our orders before pressing that send order button.

If the food wasn't that good, I'd just never go there again.

Re: Grilled Ham and Cheese

<7a59cfe3-74d7-4f78-80b3-cf943ea66944n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222225&group=rec.food.cooking#222225

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:33 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > We went to a sushi restaurant last night. Boy, that was a weird experience. The cold noodle dish had a thick, syrupy, sauce. The taste was about right but the slimy feel while eating the noodles was awful. I had to return the dish. The shrimp tempura was under cooked and returned.
> > There was a couple of dishes that nobody ordered. We boxed them up and took them home. I'm eating some garlic chicken at the moment. The orders are made on tablets so there's a problem with some kind of software glitch. Anyway, the next time we go there, we're going to have to be more careful and confirm our orders before pressing that send order button.
> If the food wasn't that good, I'd just never go there again.

We've been there many times. This time was a dud. Perhaps they had a new cook. Maybe a virus infected their ordering system. Maybe next time the family will listen to me and go to the Mexican restaurant next door.
The noodle sauce was probably slimy because it was mirin and dashi. The kitchen forgot to dilute it with water. Had I known that I would have done it myself. That was my favorite dish. I mixed in some wasabi into the somen noodles for a kick. Awesome!

interests / rec.food.cooking / Grilled Ham and Cheese