From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Deus alea non ludit
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 21:21:04 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 21:21 UTC

Deus alea non ludit in suo universo. Sic dixit Albertus Einstein; et
dixit quidem in colloquiuo cum Neils Böhr de theoria quantica.
Eius enim deus fuit natura; et nos sumus filii naturae ita ut noster
modus ratiocinationis sit idem, nam nos creavit, homines sapientes.
Insunt nobis certae leges fixae quibus utimur ad mundum intellegendum.
Causa et effectus, nihil sine causa agitur; ordo temporis, praeteritum
praesens, futurum. Talis fuit deus Alberti.
Edus

Re: Deus alea non ludit

<4e47509c-34a6-4424-90e8-428b80bac739n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223&group=alt.language.latin#223

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:28:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Deus alea non ludit
From: mentific...@gmail.com (A.T. Murray)
 by: A.T. Murray - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:28 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 1:21:59 PM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Deus alea non ludit in suo universo. Sic dixit Albertus Einstein; et
> dixit quidem in colloquiuo cum Neils Böhr de theoria quantica.
> Eius enim deus fuit natura; et nos sumus filii naturae ita ut noster
> modus ratiocinationis sit idem, nam nos creavit, homines sapientes.
> Insunt nobis certae leges fixae quibus utimur ad mundum intellegendum.
> Causa et effectus, nihil sine causa agitur; ordo temporis, praeteritum
> praesens, futurum. Talis fuit deus Alberti.
>
> Edus

When translated into German,
"Deus alea non ludit" is a useful expression for showing negation in artificial intelligene (AI).

http://ai.neocities.org/MindBoot.html -- is where the AI mindmaker Mentifex has found it necessary to include at least one example of the negation of a verb in each language spoken by the AI.

Since the adverb "not" is generally used for the negation of a verb, Mentifex was at pains in each target language to make use of some really famous instance of verbal negation.

"NON SERVIAM" is extremely famous for negation in Latin,
but a stated subject-noun would "serve" better, so
"NON SERVIAM" NON SERVIET.

In the Mens Latina AI Mind, Mentifex uses for verbal negation the sentence

"NATURA NON FACIT SALTUM" -- "Nature does not make a leap" --

which is a ccrnerstone idea in the biology of evolution.

In the German AI Mind, which is obsolete because it contains a separate but unnecessary German vocabulary area, Mentifex uses

"GOTT SPIELT NICHT WUERFEL" as a quote from Albert Einstein, who famously said, "God does not play dice eith the universe," and the JavaScript

http://ai.neocities.org/Ghost.html

uses the entire quote in English. If we re-do the German AI in Forth or Perl or JavaScript, we will use
"GOTT SPIELT NICHT WUERFEL MIT DEM UNIVERSUM"
to demonstrate not only negation of a verb but also the calling of the mind-module for prepositional phrases.

When we create artificial Minds, either a verb-phrase or a noun-phrase can call LaPrep or EnPrep for a Latin or English prepositional phrase. We have the verb-phrase module always call the prepositional module, but no preposition gets included in a sentence if the preposition is not above a threshold level of activation.

The question arises, is "dice with the universe" negatively associated with "play", or is "with the universe" associated with "dice"? Consider "God does not play 'dice with the universe' with the universe."

NEWS FLASH. Four days ago, Mentifex received from Amazon an e-mail inviting him to review his own AI-in-Latin book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NRQ3HVW -- now contains the following review.

This book was written to show one of the Theaters of Mentifex AI. In the Russian Theater of Mentifex AI, two programs, Dushka in JavaScript and ghost.pl in Perl, show thinking and reasoning in the Russian language. In the German Theater of Mentifex AI, the Wotan (think Wed-nes-day or Wotansday) program in Forth shows thinking and learning in German. The Latin Theater of Mentifex AI includes this book as a potential text-book for a community-college or university course on artificial intelligence (AI) in the ancient Latin language with natural language understanding. Just as war is too important to be left to the generals, so AI is too important to be left to the Computer Scientists. Classics scholars are much more scholarly and philosophical than computer scientists, who have long been going about AI in the wrong way, such as creating brain-dead programs like GPT-3 that will not think but will merely predict what words might emerge next from a computer. Disclaimer: This reviewer wrote this book.

Re: Deus alea non ludit

<sqnns3$apt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=228&group=alt.language.latin#228

From: pos...@Zgvdnet.dk (Poul E. Jørgensen)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:06:27 +0100
 by: Poul E. Jørgensen - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:06 UTC

Den 17-12-2021 kl. 22:21 skrev Ed Cryer:

> Neils Böhr

You mean Niels Bohr?
--
Fjern Z hvis du svarer pr. e-mail.