From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] True crime but not true justice
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:27:39 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 02:27 UTC

One of the local papers just published a lengthy article about a true
crime that I first became reacquainted with last year.

Back in 2008, a teenager named Lucas Shortreed had been killed while
walking home after dark on a lonely country road by a hit-and-run
driver. While the OPP forensics people had quickly determined the model
of car and its approximate year, the car itself remained elusive. In
fact, police tried for many years to determine where the car had gone
in hopes that they could determine who was driving it. I'm sure I heard
about this case in the news a time or two over the years. Last year, an
anonymous tip finally broke the case open and revealed that car was
hidden in a trailer (the kind pulled by semis) on a local couple's
property. Now, just a few months later, the fate of the perpetrator has
been determined. Frankly, it's a shockingly light sentence given the
steps he took to evade detection.

I think you'll share my doubts that justice was done in this case,
especially when you read what the driver told his daughter after he'd
been arrested.

https://www.therecord.com/news/ontario/forsaken-14-years-140-officers-and-a-dark-secret-that-consumed-a-small-ontario-town/article_8b8aa6f1-b4c3-5b7f-9abb-1a87d97bd5e0.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAqKggAIhBriWXVqfRMsz5FP7fbvPidKhQICiIQa4ll1an0TLM-RT-327z4nTCC0MwB&utm_content=rundown&gaa_at=g&gaa_n=ARTJ-U9pebONbjHAl-G4AEC1UeHFygogvErnj-Wqt5e1z-8kRnXpXAbMwOhjK0oXI9qPpGlJrMlTUA%3D%3D&gaa_ts=6619eba0&gaa_sig=gMfCIzw62EsmYHE0mBmaMJeBMaruDZRPYRO5Va9ypEIiHwQdEkZjmKJ4sr1_3TYta-TXLfWGBGwuJ7ftKTPG5g%3D%3D

Warning: I think the journalist must be planning to publish a
book-length version of this case because we see a lot of literary
flourishes in this rather lengthy article. I can't fault it for overt
bias or sentimentality though.

I am familiar with the location of the death - and the home of the
killer - from driving a school bus in that area for several weeks,
around the time the killer was finally identified and this all seems to
be portrayed accurately in the maps.

--
Rhino

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] True crime but not true justice