From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Selected programming for April 13-16, 2024
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:33:35 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:33 UTC

RM: I should be posting the Wednesday-Friday list later tonight.

Previously released:

Disappear Completely [Desaparecer Por Completo] (movie) (Netflix,
April 12)

After visiting a crime scene, a callous tabloid photographer falls prey
to a mysterious affliction that begins depriving him of his five senses.
2022 Mexican film; 1h 43m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81181112

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8851084/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtV8hZblyg4

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/desaparecer_por_completo/reviews

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/disappear-completely-netflix-good-thriller-movies-796909

Smart Casuals (movie) (Netflix, April 12)

One couple just met. Another is attempting to marry--again. As one pair
moves toward a life together, the other realizes love isn't what they
imagined. 2024 South African film; 1h 36m. Not on IMDb.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81616774

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExiEMI3Vc8

[Arabic title] (movie) (Netflix, April 12)

A watermelon merchant must retrieve a fortune in diamonds that his wife
unwittingly sold -- unaware that he'd hidden them inside the juicy
produce. 2023 Egyptian comedy; 1h 46m. Arabic title variously translated
as "Mar3y El Breemo" or "Marei El Breemo."

https://www.netflix.com/title/81767080

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28680960/ [as "Mar3y El Breemo"]

The Bricklayer (movie) (Netflix, April 11)

To clear its name, the CIA must rely on an edgy ex-agent to root out a
covert enemy who is framing it for the murders of several foreign
reporters. Stars Aaron Eckhart, Nina Dobrev, Clifton Collins Jr., Tim
Blake Nelson, Ilfenesh Hadera, and Oliver Trevena. 2023 film; 1h 50m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81691563

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2016303/ [rating 5.1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YfPaucph8

Death Whisperer [Tee Yod] (movie) (Netflix, April 10)

When a bloodthirsty spirit possesses a young girl in a remote village,
her older brother leads the charge to banish it before she's consumed by
evil. 2023 Thai film; two hours.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81757583

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29609422/ [rating 6.4]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31513578/ [Death Whisperer 2, expected
October 2024]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRJj6boVAK0

https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/17ia32k/death_whisperer_tee_yod_is_one_of_the_best_horror/

Destiny [new] (Netflix, April 9)

When an estranged friend resurfaces after 12 years, a prosecutor starts
connecting disjointed events to unveil the truth behind her father's
tragic death. 2024 Japanese series; episodes released weekly on Tuesday.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81772321

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32046462/

https://asianwiki.com/Destiny_(Japanese_Drama)

GomBurZa (movie) (Netflix, April 9)

The story behind Filipino martyrs Mariano Gomez, Jose Burgos, and
Jacinto Zamora, or simply GomBurZa, who were executed by garrote on Feb.
17, 1872, in Bagumbayan, Philippines by Spanish authorities on charges
of subversion. 2023 Filipino film; 1h 52m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81754253

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27203116/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QacDXvO0Ebk

Saturday, April 13

Snatched (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

When a dangerous criminal from her past breaks out of prison, a former
CIA agent must tap back into her lethal skills to protect her family.
Stars Veronika Bozeman; 1 hr 41 min. [Originally announced for April 6
(in Tubi's March 19 press release describing Tubi's April additions),
but Tubi's trailer (posted April 10) dates it for today, and it is in
fact available as of 2 am ET today. I think it was released this morning].

https://www.yeahimfamous.com/2024/04/06/first-look-tubi-footage-films-unveils-snatched-movie-trailer/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27300761/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWo44c-DfQ

https://tubitv.com/movies/100020085/snatched

Billion Dollar Bluff (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

When a popular influencer gets kidnapped and held for ransom, she grips
the media’s attention by helping the criminals rob luxurious mansions.
Stars Bukola Ayoka; 1 hr 27 min. [This was originally announced for
today (in Tubi's March 19 press release), but Tubi's trailer (posted on
April 10) states (as of 2 am ET today) that the movie is available now,
and it is. Additionally, the director posted the trailer on X on April
11. I think it's likely that this was released on April 10.]

https://tubitv.com/movies/100017200/billion-dollar-bluff

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30983222/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzf9517p9ME

https://twitter.com/stefanbrogren/status/1778498837205684557
[director's post]

Secret Life of the Pastor's Wife (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime
Channel)

Angie, the wife of a charismatic pastor who extols family values yet
maintains an icy demeanor toward his own, seeks solace from her marital
woes in the arms of her recently hired pool boy, a fling that quickly
upsets the idyllic facade of the community, reigniting old jealousies,
and leaving no one’s secrets safe. Stars Jennings Rice, Andrew Fultz,
and Mike Manning.

[RM: Pool boys certainly seem to have all the fun.]

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/secret-life-of-the-pastors-wife

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32024054/

Legend of the Lost Locket (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

When an antiques expert takes on a quest to find a long-lost locket that
promises to bring the wearer true love, she finds herself in conflict
with, but also attracted to, the town sheriff. Stars Natasha Burnett and
Viv Leacock.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/legend-of-the-lost-locket

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30223844/

Sunday, April 14

Killer Fortune Teller (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

When a tarot card reading leads to unexpected fortune, Shane thinks he’s
found a recipe for success. However, as his business starts to thrive
and the bodies start to pile up, his sister grows suspicious of both the
psychic as well as her brother’s mysterious new girlfriend. Stars Sarah
Murphree, Jonathan Stoddard, Natalie Daniels, and Caina Summer Field.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/killer-fortune-teller

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31727946/

Tracker (special time) (8 pm, CBS)

Airs at 8 instead of 9 pm tonight.

The Great North (special time) (8:30 and 9 pm, two episodes, Fox)

Regular time is 9 pm only.

The 100th: Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden (special)
(9-11 pm, CBS)

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-100th-billy-joel-at-madison-square-garden-the-greatest-arena-run-of-all-time/

The Sympathizer [new] (9 pm, HBO)

A seven-part adaptation of the 2015 Pulitzer-winning novel by Viet Thanh
Nguyen stars Robert Downey Jr. in multiple roles. A melange of cultural
satire, dark comedy, historical drama, mystery, and espionage thriller,
The Sympathizer follows a half-Vietnamese, half-French communist spy
known as "The Captain" (Cowboy Bebop's Hoa Xuande) in the closing days
of the Vietnam War and his later exile in the United States (and work in
Hollywood) following the fall of Saigon. Sandra Oh also stars. Runs
through May 26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dRkhiERpE

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-sympathizer/ [score 81]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14404618/

Monday, April 15

The Stranger (movie) (12:01 am, Hulu)

You've seen it as a Quibi series (theoretically)—now see it as a movie!
Originally released for the short-lived, short-format streaming service
in 2020, The Stranger has now been re-cut as a feature film (though only
in landscape mode). Written and directed by The Killing's Veena Sud, the
series film finds a rideshare driver (Maika Monroe) picking up the
passenger from hell (Dane DeHaan), leading to a terrifying 12 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI3lKX36Ig

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10681780/ [rating 6.3]

Tuesday, April 16

Streaming:

Hip Hop World (special) (12:01 am, Prime Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2YmEZU_A8

Jimmy Carr: Natural Born Killer (comedy special) (3:01
am, Netflix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMMoPr_kSs

https://www.netflix.com/title/81679673

CTRL+ALT+DESIRE [new; complete limited series] (3:01
am, Paramount+)

Addiction, obsession, cam girls and murder. On the surface the Amatos
were your typical all-American family, until they weren’t. In August
2019, Grant Amato was found guilty of three counts of first-degree
murder of his mother, father, and brother. The new P+ Original true
crime docuseries follows director Colin Archdeacon’s journey as he gains
unprecedented access to Grant Amato and discovers the complexities
behind him, shedding light on the dark underbelly of online obsession,
loneliness, and the chilling reality of murder.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Selected programming for April 13-16, 2024

<uvf5qd$38cfu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222224&group=rec.arts.tv#222224

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for April 13-16, 2024
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:51:40 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:51 UTC

On 4/13/24 2:33 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: I should be posting the Wednesday-Friday list later tonight.
>

>         Previously released:
>

> The Bricklayer      (movie)       (Netflix, April 11)
>
> To clear its name, the CIA must rely on an edgy ex-agent to root out a
> covert enemy who is framing it for the murders of several foreign
> reporters. Stars Aaron Eckhart, Nina Dobrev, Clifton Collins Jr., Tim
> Blake Nelson, Ilfenesh Hadera, and Oliver Trevena. 2023 film; 1h 50m.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81691563
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2016303/    [rating 5.1]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YfPaucph8

Too bad this is on Netflix, as I would have checked it out...

>         Saturday, April 13
>

> Snatched     (movie)        (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a dangerous criminal from her past breaks out of prison, a former
> CIA agent must tap back into her lethal skills to protect her family.
> Stars Veronika Bozeman; 1 hr 41 min. [Originally announced for April 6
> (in Tubi's March 19 press release describing Tubi's April additions),
> but Tubi's trailer (posted April 10) dates it for today, and it is in
> fact available as of 2 am ET today. I think it was released this morning].
>
> https://www.yeahimfamous.com/2024/04/06/first-look-tubi-footage-films-unveils-snatched-movie-trailer/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27300761/
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWo44c-DfQ
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/100020085/snatched

Not sure about this one.

> Billion Dollar Bluff      (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a popular influencer gets kidnapped and held for ransom, she grips
> the media’s attention by helping the criminals rob luxurious mansions.
> Stars Bukola Ayoka; 1 hr 27 min. [This was originally announced for
> today (in Tubi's March 19 press release), but Tubi's trailer (posted on
> April 10) states (as of 2 am ET today) that the movie is available now,
> and it is. Additionally, the director posted the trailer on X on April
> 11. I think it's likely that this was released on April 10.]
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/100017200/billion-dollar-bluff
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30983222/
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzf9517p9ME
>
> https://twitter.com/stefanbrogren/status/1778498837205684557 [director's
> post]

I like the premise, but this stars no one anyone has ever heard of...

> Secret Life of the Pastor's Wife       (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> Angie, the wife of a charismatic pastor who extols family values yet
> maintains an icy demeanor toward his own, seeks solace from her marital
> woes in the arms of her recently hired pool boy, a fling that quickly
> upsets the idyllic facade of the community, reigniting old jealousies,
> and leaving no one’s secrets safe. Stars Jennings Rice, Andrew Fultz,
> and Mike Manning.
>
> [RM: Pool boys certainly seem to have all the fun.]
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/secret-life-of-the-pastors-wife
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32024054/

I will certainly watch this, though I may have to bump it to recording
for later viewing...

>         Sunday, April 14
>

> Killer Fortune Teller       (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> When a tarot card reading leads to unexpected fortune, Shane thinks he’s
> found a recipe for success. However, as his business starts to thrive
> and the bodies start to pile up, his sister grows suspicious of both the
> psychic as well as her brother’s mysterious new girlfriend. Stars Sarah
> Murphree, Jonathan Stoddard, Natalie Daniels, and Caina Summer Field.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/killer-fortune-teller
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31727946/

Ditto - intend to watch this, but may or may not get to it tomorrow night...

> Tracker      (special time)          (8 pm, CBS)
>
> Airs at 8 instead of 9 pm tonight.

Guest starring!... Nobody interesting!

> The 100th: Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden        (special) (9-11
> pm, CBS)
>
> https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-100th-billy-joel-at-madison-square-garden-the-greatest-arena-run-of-all-time/

Billy Joel is 100?!?!?!!!??!!

:p

> The Sympathizer            [new]           (9 pm, HBO)
>
> A seven-part adaptation of the 2015 Pulitzer-winning novel by Viet Thanh
> Nguyen stars Robert Downey Jr. in multiple roles. A melange of cultural
> satire, dark comedy, historical drama, mystery, and espionage thriller,
> The Sympathizer follows a half-Vietnamese, half-French communist spy
> known as "The Captain" (Cowboy Bebop's Hoa Xuande) in the closing days
> of the Vietnam War and his later exile in the United States (and work in
> Hollywood) following the fall of Saigon. Sandra Oh also stars. Runs
> through May 26.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dRkhiERpE
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-sympathizer/     [score 81]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14404618/

Does not sound like my kind of thing. Obveeus will probably watch it...

>         Monday, April 15
>

> The Stranger           (movie)            (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> You've seen it as a Quibi series (theoretically)—now see it as a movie!
> Originally released for the short-lived, short-format streaming service
> in 2020, The Stranger has now been re-cut as a feature film (though only
> in landscape mode). Written and directed by The Killing's Veena Sud, the
> series film finds a rideshare driver (Maika Monroe) picking up the
> passenger from hell (Dane DeHaan), leading to a terrifying 12 hours.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI3lKX36Ig
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10681780/     [rating 6.3]

Maybe, based on the casting.
But I never did get to the previous Quibi series-to-film, "The Most
Dangerous Game", as its >2 hour runtime put me off...

>         Tuesday, April 16

Yikes! - This sounds dreary!!

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Selected programming for April 13-16, 2024