From: ganth...@gmail.org (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: OT? - More Votes Lost
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:40:50 -0500
 by: George Anthony - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 15:40 UTC

There go some more "brother" votes. I don't smoke myself... or anything
else for that matter but I know many who do smoke these.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-white-house-close-finalizing-menthol-cigarette-regulations-despite-broad-opposition

Re: OT? - More Votes Lost

<q3BPN.620122$c3Ea.537684@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22216&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22216

Subject: Re: OT? - More Votes Lost
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:03:18 -0400
 by: bfh - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:03 UTC

George Anthony wrote:
> There go some more "brother" votes. I don't smoke myself... or
> anything else for that matter but I know many who do smoke these.
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-white-house-close-finalizing-menthol-cigarette-regulations-despite-broad-opposition

Hey. I have a DEI complaint. If this ban is going to
disproportionately affect minorities, why have they got a picture of a
PNOC (person not of color) smoking? Somebody needs to hold somebody
accountable for this systemic media racism, and it needs to be done
before the end of the day goes too much more forward.

--
bill

Re: OT? - More Votes Lost

<uun7gn$t8kp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22217&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22217

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:53:27 -0500
 by: George Anthony - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:53 UTC

On 4/4/2024 12:03 PM, bfh wrote:
> George Anthony wrote:
>> There go some more "brother" votes. I don't smoke myself... or
>> anything else for that matter but I know many who do smoke these.
>>
>> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-white-house-close-finalizing-menthol-cigarette-regulations-despite-broad-opposition
> Hey. I have a DEI complaint. If this ban is going to disproportionately
> affect minorities, why have they got a picture of a PNOC (person not of
> color) smoking? Somebody needs to hold somebody accountable for this
> systemic media racism, and it needs to be done before the end of the day
> goes too much more forward.

It's all about the optics. This way it doesn't look racist. If the party
of the KKK can pull it off, it should be easy to mislead on cigarette
racism.

Re: OT? - More Votes Lost

<MPG.4078d7c0dc87dd0c989773@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22218&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22218

From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:29:45 -0700
 by: Technobarbarian - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:29 UTC

In article <q3BPN.620122$c3Ea.537684@fx10.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

> George Anthony wrote:
> > There go some more "brother" votes. I don't smoke myself... or
> > anything else for that matter but I know many who do smoke these.
> >
> > https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-white-house-close-finalizing-menthol-cigarette-regulations-despite-broad-opposition
> >
> Hey. I have a DEI complaint. If this ban is going to
> disproportionately affect minorities, why have they got a picture of a
> PNOC (person not of color) smoking? Somebody needs to hold somebody
> accountable for this systemic media racism, and it needs to be done
> before the end of the day goes too much more forward.

"Menthol cigarettes are a leading cause of death among Black Americans;
81 percent of Black smokers use menthols, compared to 34 percent of
white smokers. And there's a reason for that, says Keith Wailoo, author
of the book "Pushing Cool: Big Tobacco, Racial Marketing, and the Untold
Story of the Menthol Cigarette.""

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-menthol-cigarettes-have-
disproportionately-affected-black-americans#:~:text=Menthol%
20cigarettes%20are%20a%20leading,Story%20of%20the%20Menthol%
20Cigarette.%22

"One group that did meet with the administration was the National
Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, or NOBLE. Alongside
the organization?s executive director at the session was a former
lawmaker turned lobbyist for the cigarette company Altria, which is also
one of the sponsors of NOBLE.

Two other organizations that have received funding from the tobacco
industry were in attendance, as well: the Rev. Al Sharpton?s National
Action Network and the National Newspaper Publishers Association. Two
dozen Biden administration officials, including US Food and Drug
Administration Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf and US Secretary of Health
and Human Services Xavier Becerra, were also on the roster.

The tobacco industry has been working to align itself with African
American advocacy groups in a bid to resist further regulation. Among
its arguments against a ban is that it would criminalize the flavor of
cigarettes preferred by Black smokers, leading to an underground market
on the goods. It points to the police killing of Eric Garner, a Black
man accused of selling loose cigarettes, as one example of a petty crime
that escalated into a fatality, a position that is also supported by the
American Civil Liberties Union.

Many other African American advocacy organizations have long fought for
a ban on menthol cigarettes, however, because of their heavy impact on
Black lives.

?African Americans suffer disproportionately from being addicted to
cigarettes and the effects of long-term tobacco use. It seems only
correct in making the next step in the interest of the Black community
to ban menthol ? the last allowable flavor which is and has always been
known as the flavor that African Americans have preferred and highly
utilized,? the NAACP says in a statement supporting the menthol ban on
its website."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/health/menthol-cigarette-ban-
delay/index.html

It would be incredibly easy to mentholate a regular cigarette. All
the smoker would have to do is paint a small strip of menthol in
solution lenghtwise on their cigarette. You could do it with a finger
tip. Once they learned how to adjust the amount of menthol these
cigarettes would be indistinguishable from factory made. It only takes a
tiny bit of menthol.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=menthol&ref=nb_sb_noss

Amazon has the book too: "Pushing Cool: Big Tobacco, Racial
Marketing, and the Untold Story of the Menthol Cigarette Hardcover ?
November 2, 2021"

My parents smoked Salem brand menthol cigarettes for many years.

TB

Re: OT? - More Votes Lost

<fWGPN.136168$_a1e.82941@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22219&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22219

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:43:07 -0400
 by: bfh - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:43 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:
> [...]
> utilized,? the NAACP says in a statement supporting the menthol ban on
> its website."
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/health/menthol-cigarette-ban-
> delay/index.html
>
> It would be incredibly easy to mentholate a regular cigarette. All
> the smoker would have to do is paint a small strip of menthol in
> solution lenghtwise on their cigarette. You could do it with a finger
> tip. Once they learned how to adjust the amount of menthol these
> cigarettes would be indistinguishable from factory made. It only takes a
> tiny bit of menthol.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=menthol&ref=nb_sb_noss
>
> Amazon has the book too: "Pushing Cool: Big Tobacco, Racial
> Marketing, and the Untold Story of the Menthol Cigarette Hardcover ?
> November 2, 2021"
>
> My parents smoked Salem brand menthol cigarettes for many years.

I smoked a pack of Kools once, because I wanted to be. It didn't work,
so I went back to Luckys, and I continued to be.

--
bill

Re: OT? - More Votes Lost

<uup0ra$1dt9b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22223&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22223

From: ganth...@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:11:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EuRQOexJ/CdPJurMpaBRa3AwiMQ=
 by: George.Anthony - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:11 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> utilized,? the NAACP says in a statement supporting the menthol ban on
> its website."
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/health/menthol-cigarette-ban-
> delay/index.html
>
> It would be incredibly easy to mentholate a regular cigarette. All
> the smoker would have to do is paint a small strip of menthol in
> solution lenghtwise on their cigarette. You could do it with a finger
> tip. Once they learned how to adjust the amount of menthol these
> cigarettes would be indistinguishable from factory made. It only takes a
> tiny bit of menthol.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=menthol&ref=nb_sb_noss
>
> Amazon has the book too: "Pushing Cool: Big Tobacco, Racial
> Marketing, and the Untold Story of the Menthol Cigarette Hardcover ?
> November 2, 2021"
>
> My parents smoked Salem brand menthol cigarettes for many years.

People who smoke any kind of cigarette know what they are in for… even
normally clueless democrats. I couldn’t care less if there was never
another cigarette made but this is the first step toward banning all
tobacco products. Except marijuana. I know it’s not tobacco but that would
cost democrats votes. I mean you have to be stoned to vote for a democrat.

--
If you are better off today than you were three years ago, you are probably
an illegal alien.