This is the ____LAST time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowRhino
+* Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowshawn
|+* Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowBTR1701
||`- Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowRhino
|`- Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowRhino
+* Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowBTR1701
|`- Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowRhino
`- Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slowThe Horny Goat

1
[OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<20240414200533.0000712b@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222285&group=rec.arts.tv#222285

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:05 UTC

In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the government
of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate country) has
legislated that the tempo of all music played in the country must be in
the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.

Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<334p1jl07tqejstnfjrrk77d81j3ri11t8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222296&group=rec.arts.tv#222296

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:27:23 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:27 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the government
>of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate country) has
>legislated that the tempo of all music played in the country must be in
>the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
>
>Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]

Yeah, I remember hearing about this back a few weeks. As I recall even
the national anthem doesn't fit with this new standard.

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<NMOdnYDrlOmjWYH7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222303&group=rec.arts.tv#222303

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:07:58 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:07 UTC

On Apr 14, 2024 at 5:05:33 PM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the government
> of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate country) has
> legislated that the tempo of all music played in the country must be in
> the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
>
> Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]

Do they mean played in public or even music you listen to in your own home?
Even if you're wearing headphones and no one else can hear it?

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<NMOdnYPrlOlMWIH7nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222304&group=rec.arts.tv#222304

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:14:41 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:14 UTC

On Apr 14, 2024 at 7:27:23 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the government
>> of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate country) has
>> legislated that the tempo of all music played in the country must be in
>> the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
>>
>> Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]
>
> Yeah, I remember hearing about this back a few weeks. As I recall even
> the national anthem doesn't fit with this new standard.

What if you just cut the time signature from 4/4 to 2/2, and the cuts the BPM
in half, too.

Would it be a defense in court to say, "No, your honor, the state is lying.
They're claiming I was rocking out to Tschaikowsky's 4th Symphony at 180 BPM
but the half note had the beat, so it was really only 90 BPM!"

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<2ojp1j1l3bqaeq95p5khi03lv0mmgb99io@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222307&group=rec.arts.tv#222307

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:54:44 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:54 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the government
>of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate country) has
>legislated that the tempo of all music played in the country must be in
>the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
>
>Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]

So you can play 2nd movement of the Moonlight Sonata but not the 1st
(too slow) or the 3rd (too fast)? Yeah ok

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<20240415104642.0000684b@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222338&group=rec.arts.tv#222338

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:46:42 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:46 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:27:23 -0400

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the
> >government of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate
> >country) has legislated that the tempo of all music played in the
> >country must be in the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
> >
> >Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]
>
> Yeah, I remember hearing about this back a few weeks. As I recall even
> the national anthem doesn't fit with this new standard.

That's one of the first points Neely makes: both the Chechen anthem and
the Russian anthem are outside the speeds allowed -
as is the music playing on the Chechen website that explains the rules!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<20240415104825.00004b47@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222339&group=rec.arts.tv#222339

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:48:25 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:48 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:14:41 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2024 at 7:27:23 PM PDT, "shawn"
> <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
> > <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the
> >> government of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a
> >> separate country) has legislated that the tempo of all music
> >> played in the country must be in the range of 80 to 116 beats per
> >> minute.
> >>
> >> Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]
> >
> > Yeah, I remember hearing about this back a few weeks. As I recall
> > even the national anthem doesn't fit with this new standard.
>
> What if you just cut the time signature from 4/4 to 2/2, and the cuts
> the BPM in half, too.
>
> Would it be a defense in court to say, "No, your honor, the state is
> lying. They're claiming I was rocking out to Tschaikowsky's 4th
> Symphony at 180 BPM but the half note had the beat, so it was really
> only 90 BPM!"

That is the essence of many of Neely's observations about this bizarre
new rule. He even enlists a Canadian music professor in the discussion
to get an expert opinion.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

<20240415105252.000006f2@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222340&group=rec.arts.tv#222340

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:52:52 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:52 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:07:58 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2024 at 5:05:33 PM PDT, "Rhino"
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> > In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the
> > government of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a separate
> > country) has legislated that the tempo of all music played in the
> > country must be in the range of 80 to 116 beats per minute.
> >
> > Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]
>
> Do they mean played in public or even music you listen to in your own
> home? Even if you're wearing headphones and no one else can hear it?

The video does not address those "implementation details" of the law. I
know the Chechen leadership is somewhat authoritarian but I can't
picture Chechen police demanding to listen to your headphones or ear
buds during spot checks to see if you are playing music that is too
fast or too slow. I suspect the law applies to public performances but
don't know how to confirm that. But, of course, I could be wrong and it
may apply to anyone listening to music any time within Chechnya.

--
Rhino