One picture is worth more than ten thousand words. -- Chinese proverb

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Converting to metric

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Converting to metricScott Taylor
`* Re: Converting to metricDave Smith
 +* Re: Converting to metricGraham
 |`* Re: Converting to metricThomas
 | `- Re: Converting to metricGraham
 `* Re: Converting to metricjmcquown
  `* Re: Converting to metricS Viemeister
   +- Re: Converting to metricBruce
   +- Re: Converting to metricThomas
   `* Re: Converting to metricjmcquown
    +- Re: Converting to metricHank Rogers
    +- Re: Converting to metricHank Rogers
    `* Re: Converting to metricS Viemeister
     +* Re: Converting to metricThomas
     |+- Re: Converting to metricGraham
     |`- Re: Converting to metricbruce bowser
     +* Re: Converting to metricsongbird
     |`- Re: Converting to metricBryan Simmons
     `* Re: Converting to metricGraham
      `* Re: Converting to metricS Viemeister
       `* Re: Converting to metricGraham
        +- Re: Converting to metricS Viemeister
        `* Re: Converting to metricDave Smith
         `- Re: Converting to metricCindy Hamilton

1
Re: Converting to metric

<0b329171-c524-4f0a-a009-02c5d72769a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221645&group=rec.food.cooking#221645

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Converting to metric
From: scotttay...@gmail.com (Scott Taylor)
 by: Scott Taylor - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:19 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-5, piedmont wrote:
> I have found websites that convert US to Metric, but,,, converting fluids
> is not a problem for me, what is throwing me is cups, tablespoons,
> teaspoons, etc, into what? Are there equivalent metric substitutes for US
> measuring cups and table/teaspoons?
> I have a scale for metric and liquid for metric.
>
> --
> regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!
> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

For small amounts, teaspoons and tablespoons are surprisingly universal, regardless of the measurement system being used; a teaspoon is generally always around 5 ml, a tablespoon is around 15 ml, and three teaspoons always make one tablespoon.

The bigger difference is with larger amounts. Cups are definitely not identical around the world, although the range for English-speaking countries is not huge, generally from 235 to 250 ml. The real headache is that the cooking culture outside of America is to measure larger amounts by weight, not volume, so flour, for example, would be measured in grams, not milliliters. When converting, you have to know how much a cup of an ingredient weighs in grams.

For example, a cup of flour weighs around 125 grams. If your recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, the metric equivalent would not be "720 ml", but rather 375 g.

Most liquids (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams. Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g.

One key point is that the measurement of cooking ingredients is as much an art as a science, and total mathematical precision is not only unnecessary, but even misleading. Most recipes, regardless of the underlying measurement system, habitually round off values for convenience, so the home chef needs to use common sense. A recipe in one system which specifies "2 cups of milk" is just as likely in another system to round off the same amount to "500 grams of milk".

Re: Converting to metric

<IuqWK.53348$kEr7.20739@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221663&group=rec.food.cooking#221663

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:44:07 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:44 UTC

On 2022-09-20 5:19 p.m., Scott Taylor wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-5, piedmont wrote:
>> I have found websites that convert US to Metric, but,,, converting
>> fluids is not a problem for me, what is throwing me is cups,
>> tablespoons, teaspoons, etc, into what? Are there equivalent metric
>> substitutes for US measuring cups and table/teaspoons? I have a
>> scale for metric and liquid for metric.
>>
>> -- regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!
>> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
>
> For small amounts, teaspoons and tablespoons are surprisingly
> universal, regardless of the measurement system being used; a
> teaspoon is generally always around 5 ml, a tablespoon is around 15
> ml, and three teaspoons always make one tablespoon.
>
> The bigger difference is with larger amounts. Cups are definitely
> not identical around the world, although the range for
> English-speaking countries is not huge, generally from 235 to 250 ml.
> The real headache is that the cooking culture outside of America is
> to measure larger amounts by weight, not volume, so flour, for
> example, would be measured in grams, not milliliters. When
> converting, you have to know how much a cup of an ingredient weighs
> in grams.
>
> For example, a cup of flour weighs around 125 grams. If your recipe
> calls for 3 cups of flour, the metric equivalent would not be "720
> ml", but rather 375 g.
>
> Most liquids (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs
> around 240 grams. Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g.
>
> One key point is that the measurement of cooking ingredients is as
> much an art as a science, and total mathematical precision is not
> only unnecessary, but even misleading. Most recipes, regardless of
> the underlying measurement system, habitually round off values for
> convenience, so the home chef needs to use common sense. A recipe in
> one system which specifies "2 cups of milk" is just as likely in
> another system to round off the same amount to "500 grams of milk".

Wow. Piedmont will be so happy to read that information... 12 years
later.

Re: Converting to metric

<VAqWK.418212$6Il8.265905@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221668&group=rec.food.cooking#221668

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 15:50:44 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:50 UTC

On 2022-09-20 3:44 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-20 5:19 p.m., Scott Taylor wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-5, piedmont wrote:
>>> I have found websites that convert US to Metric, but,,, converting
>>> fluids is not a problem for me, what is throwing me is cups,
>>> tablespoons, teaspoons, etc, into what? Are there equivalent metric
>>> substitutes for US measuring cups and table/teaspoons? I have a
>>> scale for metric and liquid for metric.
>>>
>>> -- regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
>>
>> For small amounts, teaspoons and tablespoons are surprisingly
>> universal, regardless of the measurement system being used;  a
>> teaspoon is generally always around 5 ml, a tablespoon is around 15
>> ml, and three teaspoons always make one tablespoon.
>>
>> The bigger difference is with larger amounts.  Cups are definitely
>> not identical around the world, although the range for
>> English-speaking countries is not huge, generally from 235 to 250 ml.
>> The real headache is that the cooking culture outside of America is
>> to measure larger amounts by weight, not volume, so flour, for
>> example, would be measured in grams, not milliliters.  When
>> converting, you have to know how much a cup of an ingredient weighs
>> in grams.
>>
>> For example, a cup of flour weighs around 125 grams.  If your recipe
>> calls for 3 cups of flour, the metric equivalent would not be "720
>> ml", but rather 375 g.
>>
>> Most liquids (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs
>> around 240 grams.  Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g.
>>
>> One key point is that the measurement of cooking ingredients is as
>> much an art as a science, and total mathematical precision is not
>> only unnecessary, but even misleading.  Most recipes, regardless of
>> the underlying measurement system, habitually round off values for
>> convenience, so the home chef needs to use common sense.  A recipe in
>> one system which specifies "2 cups of milk" is just as likely in
>> another system to round off the same amount to "500 grams of milk".
>
>  Wow. Piedmont will be so happy to read that information... 12 years
> later.
Particularly his advice on flour - which is wrong!

Re: Converting to metric

<tgdcuh$1jejr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221671&group=rec.food.cooking#221671

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:56:27 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:56 UTC

On 9/20/2022 5:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-20 5:19 p.m., Scott Taylor wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-5, piedmont wrote:
>>> I have found websites that convert US to Metric, but,,, converting
>>> fluids is not a problem for me, what is throwing me is cups,
>>> tablespoons, teaspoons, etc, into what? Are there equivalent metric
>>> substitutes for US measuring cups and table/teaspoons? I have a
>>> scale for metric and liquid for metric.
>>>
>>> -- regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
>>
>> For small amounts, teaspoons and tablespoons are surprisingly
>> universal, regardless of the measurement system being used;  a
>> teaspoon is generally always around 5 ml, a tablespoon is around 15
>> ml, and three teaspoons always make one tablespoon.
>>
>> The bigger difference is with larger amounts.  Cups are definitely
>> not identical around the world, although the range for
>> English-speaking countries is not huge, generally from 235 to 250 ml.
>> The real headache is that the cooking culture outside of America is
>> to measure larger amounts by weight, not volume, so flour, for
>> example, would be measured in grams, not milliliters.  When
>> converting, you have to know how much a cup of an ingredient weighs
>> in grams.
>>
>> For example, a cup of flour weighs around 125 grams.  If your recipe
>> calls for 3 cups of flour, the metric equivalent would not be "720
>> ml", but rather 375 g.
>>
>> Most liquids (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs
>> around 240 grams.  Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g.
>>
>> One key point is that the measurement of cooking ingredients is as
>> much an art as a science, and total mathematical precision is not
>> only unnecessary, but even misleading.  Most recipes, regardless of
>> the underlying measurement system, habitually round off values for
>> convenience, so the home chef needs to use common sense.  A recipe in
>> one system which specifies "2 cups of milk" is just as likely in
>> another system to round off the same amount to "500 grams of milk".
>
>  Wow. Piedmont will be so happy to read that information... 12 years
> later.

I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;) Most of the measures I have (cups,
scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric and
have been for years. Furthermore, there are measurement conversion
charts available online and in most cookbooks. I have never bothered to
"weigh" a cup of liquid. I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first...
what a waste of time.

Jill

Re: Converting to metric

<be3059d3-6447-4413-8db8-95bf99711d78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221717&group=rec.food.cooking#221717

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 16:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 23:41 UTC

On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 5:50:51 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-20 3:44 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

> >> For small amounts, teaspoons and tablespoons are surprisingly
> >> universal, regardless of the measurement system being used; a
> >> teaspoon is generally always around 5 ml, a tablespoon is around 15
> >> ml, and three teaspoons always make one tablespoon.
> >>
> >> The bigger difference is with larger amounts. Cups are definitely
> >> not identical around the world, although the range for
> >> English-speaking countries is not huge, generally from 235 to 250 ml.
> >> The real headache is that the cooking culture outside of America is
> >> to measure larger amounts by weight, not volume, so flour, for
> >> example, would be measured in grams, not milliliters. When
> >> converting, you have to know how much a cup of an ingredient weighs
> >> in grams.
> >>
> >> For example, a cup of flour weighs around 125 grams. If your recipe
> >> calls for 3 cups of flour, the metric equivalent would not be "720
> >> ml", but rather 375 g.
> >>
> >> Most liquids (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs
> >> around 240 grams. Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g.
> >>
> >> One key point is that the measurement of cooking ingredients is as
> >> much an art as a science, and total mathematical precision is not
> >> only unnecessary, but even misleading. Most recipes, regardless of
> >> the underlying measurement system, habitually round off values for
> >> convenience, so the home chef needs to use common sense. A recipe in
> >> one system which specifies "2 cups of milk" is just as likely in
> >> another system to round off the same amount to "500 grams of milk".
> >
> > Wow. Piedmont will be so happy to read that information... 12 years
> > later.
> Particularly his advice on flour - which is wrong!

Particularly his advice on flour - which is wrong!

What is wrong? I do 120g for ap.
For my breads I just did 130 dark rye and added ap to get to about 380 in a 20g container.
1 cup water, a tb yeast for a quick rise and stuff, oil, sugar, stuff.
3 hours start to finish in a rush.

I want to know why the flour advice is wrong. I am still a beginner a few years into it.

Re: Converting to metric

<lntWK.35520$x5w7.3904@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221736&group=rec.food.cooking#221736

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 19:01:05 -0600
 by: Graham - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 01:01 UTC

On 2022-09-20 5:41 p.m., Thomas wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 5:50:51 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:

>>> Wow. Piedmont will be so happy to read that information... 12 years
>>> later.
>> Particularly his advice on flour - which is wrong!
>

> Particularly his advice on flour - which is wrong!
>
> What is wrong? I do 120g for ap.
> For my breads I just did 130 dark rye and added ap to get to about 380 in a 20g container.
> 1 cup water, a tb yeast for a quick rise and stuff, oil, sugar, stuff.
> 3 hours start to finish in a rush.
>
> I want to know why the flour advice is wrong. I am still a beginner a few years into it.

It depends on how the flour is prepared to fill the cup. I tried it
straight from the bag, stirred a bit, really loosened and then spooned
into the cup. the weights varied from ~100g to ~150g.
I ignore recipes that give flour amounts by the cup. They never, or very
rarely specify how the cup was filled.

Re: Converting to metric

<jovrkbFf29pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221804&group=rec.food.cooking#221804

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:08:59 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 07:08 UTC

On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:

> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have (cups,
> scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric and
> have been for years.  Furthermore, there are measurement conversion
> charts available online and in most cookbooks.  I have never bothered to
> "weigh" a cup of liquid.  I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first...
> what a waste of time.

When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on, then
add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
And repeatable results.

Re: Converting to metric

<jovudqFfdmiU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221815&group=rec.food.cooking#221815

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:56:42 +1000
 by: Bruce - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 07:56 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:08:59 +0100, S Viemeister
<firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have (cups,
>> scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric and
>> have been for years.  Furthermore, there are measurement conversion
>> charts available online and in most cookbooks.  I have never bothered to
>> "weigh" a cup of liquid.  I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first...
>> what a waste of time.
>>
>When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on, then
>add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
>addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
>other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
>And repeatable results.

Amen.

Re: Converting to metric

<252beba3-bb18-4327-b712-9ea3d843422bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221816&group=rec.food.cooking#221816

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 01:06:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:06 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 3:09:05 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;) Most of the measures I have (cups,
> > scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric and
> > have been for years. Furthermore, there are measurement conversion
> > charts available online and in most cookbooks. I have never bothered to
> > "weigh" a cup of liquid. I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first...
> > what a waste of time.
> >
> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on, then
> add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
> addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
> other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
> And repeatable results.
Same. My plastic bowl is 19 g. I hit the tare and move on. 120 is a cup the way I do it.

Re: Converting to metric

<tgij2g$2a34f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222098&group=rec.food.cooking#222098

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:11:37 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:11 UTC

On 9/21/2022 3:08 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have (cups,
>> scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric
>> and have been for years.  Furthermore, there are measurement
>> conversion charts available online and in most cookbooks.  I have
>> never bothered to "weigh" a cup of liquid.  I'd have to weigh the
>> measuring cup first... what a waste of time.
>>
> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on, then
> add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
> addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
> other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
> And repeatable results.

The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams. Two
cups of milk weigh around 480 g." That's what I was responding to.

Jill

Re: Converting to metric

<_K5XK.60738$R_o7.32415@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222126&group=rec.food.cooking#222126

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:56:52 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:56 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 3:08 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have
>>> (cups, scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements
>>> and metric and have been for years.  Furthermore, there are
>>> measurement conversion charts available online and in most
>>> cookbooks.  I have never bothered to "weigh" a cup of liquid.Â
>>> I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first... what a waste of time.
>>>
>> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale
>> on, then add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale
>> after each addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to
>> wash anything other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no
>> wasted time.
>> And repeatable results.
>

> The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids
> (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240
> grams.  Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g."  That's what I was
> responding to.
>
> Jill

Duly noted your majesty.

Re: Converting to metric

<GM5XK.60739$R_o7.56156@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222127&group=rec.food.cooking#222127

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:58:44 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:58 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 3:08 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have
>>> (cups, scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements
>>> and metric and have been for years.  Furthermore, there are
>>> measurement conversion charts available online and in most
>>> cookbooks.  I have never bothered to "weigh" a cup of liquid.Â
>>> I'd have to weigh the measuring cup first... what a waste of time.
>>>
>> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale
>> on, then add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale
>> after each addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to
>> wash anything other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no
>> wasted time.
>> And repeatable results.
>

> The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids
> (milk, juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240
> grams.  Two cups of milk weigh around 480 g."  That's what I was
> responding to.
>
> Jill

It's good that your highness keeps up with these very old posts.

Thank you.

Re: Converting to metric

<jp52v5FagljU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222204&group=rec.food.cooking#222204

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 07:44:53 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:44 UTC

On 22/09/2022 22:11, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 3:08 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 20/09/2022 22:56, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I know *I* certainly am, Dave. ;)  Most of the measures I have (cups,
>>> scoops, spoons) are well marked with both US measurements and metric
>>> and have been for years.  Furthermore, there are measurement
>>> conversion charts available online and in most cookbooks.  I have
>>> never bothered to "weigh" a cup of liquid.  I'd have to weigh the
>>> measuring cup first... what a waste of time.
>> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on,
>> then add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
>> addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
>> other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
>> And repeatable results.
> The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
> juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams.  Two
> cups of milk weigh around 480 g."  That's what I was responding to.

I should have been clearer in the above description.

After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.

I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.

Re: Converting to metric

<6bc4e8f0-3f50-4988-93d9-2089073b1f90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222220&group=rec.food.cooking#222220

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 01:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:44 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:45:00 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 22/09/2022 22:11, jmcquown wrote:
> >> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on,
> >> then add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after each
> >> addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash anything
> >> other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
> >> And repeatable results.
> > The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
> > juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams. Two
> > cups of milk weigh around 480 g." That's what I was responding to.
> >
> I should have been clearer in the above description.
>
> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
> the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
> when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
>
> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
> I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
> each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
> weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
> cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.
Agree. My m cups are scoops.

Re: Converting to metric

<7dc00j-9p2.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222226&group=rec.food.cooking#222226

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:55:19 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:55 UTC

S Viemeister wrote:
> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
> the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
> when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.

genius! my scale won't do that and it's hinky beyond
belief. i'd never use it like that. :( i dropped it
once and the stuff inside broke loose, so in order to
use it i have to zero it each time and hope i don't
jiggle something in between.

> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
> I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
> each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
> weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
> cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.

i'd prefer metric for everything but Mom would have a
caniption.

songbird

Re: Converting to metric

<uQhXK.155316$IRd5.11138@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222235&group=rec.food.cooking#222235

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:42:00 -0600
 by: Graham - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:42 UTC

On 2022-09-23 2:44 a.m., Thomas wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:45:00 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
>>> The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
>>> juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams. Two
>>> cups of milk weigh around 480 g." That's what I was responding to.
>>>
>> I should have been clearer in the above description.
>>
>> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
>> the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
>> when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
>>
>> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
>> I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
>> each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
>> weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
>> cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.
> Agree. My m cups are scoops.
As are mine.

Re: Converting to metric

<MShXK.156059$IRd5.57922@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222237&group=rec.food.cooking#222237

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:44:27 -0600
 by: Graham - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:44 UTC

On 2022-09-23 12:44 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 22/09/2022 22:11, jmcquown wrote:
>>> When I make bread, I place a bowl on the scale, turn the scale on,
>>> then add the ingredients, pressing 'tare' to zero the scale after
>>> each addition. No need to weigh a measuring cup, no need to wash
>>> anything other than the mixing bowl and dough hook, no wasted time.
>>> And repeatable results.
>> The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
>> juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams.  Two
>> cups of milk weigh around 480 g."  That's what I was responding to.
>>
> I should have been clearer in the above description.
>
> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
> the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
> when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
>
> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
> I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
> each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
> weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
> cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.

I don't bother with any cup based recipes.

Re: Converting to metric

<jp5ppoFdtpaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222241&group=rec.food.cooking#222241

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:14:31 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 13:14 UTC

On 23/09/2022 13:44, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-23 12:44 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
>> the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
>> when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
>>
>> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric -
>> and I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I
>> weigh each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can
>> simply weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a
>> selection of cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup
>> time.
>
> I don't bother with any cup based recipes.

I prefer not to, but some of them are worth playing around with until I
get the weights right.

Re: Converting to metric

<nskXK.507368$iiS8.344047@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222272&group=rec.food.cooking#222272

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:41:05 -0600
 by: Graham - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:41 UTC

On 2022-09-23 7:14 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 23/09/2022 13:44, Graham wrote:
>> On 2022-09-23 12:44 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>>> After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which
>>> zeroes the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl,
>>> stopping when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric -
>>> and I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I
>>> weigh each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can
>>> simply weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a
>>> selection of cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup
>>> time.
>>
>> I don't bother with any cup based recipes.
>
> I prefer not to, but some of them are worth playing around with until I
> get the weights right.

I made blackcurrant jam yesterday from pulp I had stored in the freezer.
I found a BBC recipe that used weights to get the sugar content correct.
Incidentally, for the first batch, rather than the using the wrinkle
test on a spoonful to determine the setting point, I used temperature.
However, I used 105C, which is fine at sea level and so I ended up with
somewhat gummy jam. The next batch I compensated for altitude and used
101C and it is perfect.
I'll use that temperature today when I make redcurrant jelly.

Re: Converting to metric

<jp66j7Fft4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222287&group=rec.food.cooking#222287

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:52:54 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:52 UTC

On 23/09/2022 16:41, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-23 7:14 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:

>>> I don't bother with any cup based recipes.
>>
>> I prefer not to, but some of them are worth playing around with until
>> I get the weights right.
>>
> I made blackcurrant jam yesterday from pulp I had stored in the freezer.
> I found a BBC recipe that used weights to get the sugar content correct.
> Incidentally, for the first batch, rather than the using the wrinkle
> test on a spoonful to determine the setting point, I used temperature.
> However, I used 105C, which is fine at sea level and so I ended up with
> somewhat gummy jam. The next batch I compensated for altitude and used
> 101C and it is perfect.
> I'll use that temperature today when I make redcurrant jelly.

Yum.

Re: Converting to metric

<JlmXK.44608$0qy7.2233@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222294&group=rec.food.cooking#222294

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 13:50:32 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:50 UTC

On 2022-09-23 11:41 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-23 7:14 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 23/09/2022 13:44, Graham wrote:

>> I prefer not to, but some of them are worth playing around with until
>> I get the weights right.
>>
> I made blackcurrant jam yesterday from pulp I had stored in the freezer.
> I found a BBC recipe that used weights to get the sugar content correct.
> Incidentally, for the first batch, rather than the using the wrinkle
> test on a spoonful to determine the setting point, I used temperature.
> However, I used 105C, which is fine at sea level and so I ended up with
> somewhat gummy jam. The next batch I compensated for altitude and used
> 101C and it is perfect.
> I'll use that temperature today when I make redcurrant jelly.

I am envious. I love black currant jam. My mother used to make a lot of
it every year and always gave me lots of it. I planted several black
currant bushes and made it myself with the currants I harvested, but the
bushes died off, another victim of the black walnut trees back there. I
I transplanted a couple of the survivors, though they had not fruited
for a couple years. Nothing this year.

Gary posted earlier about not liking having to butter his own toast in a
restaurant. I like the English style of doing toast, letting it cool and
dry and then smearing it with cold butter and a good glob of black
currant jam or some Seville marmalade.

Re: Converting to metric

<69c7269f-8c52-4c09-9077-5a7b420759fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222301&group=rec.food.cooking#222301

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:15 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 4:44:52 AM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:45:00 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> > > The poster who replied to very old old post wrote "Most liquids (milk,
> > > juice, etc) are like water, where a cup weighs around 240 grams. Two
> > > cups of milk weigh around 480 g." That's what I was responding to.
> > >
> > I should have been clearer in the above description.
> >
> > After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
> > the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
> > when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
> >
> > I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
> > I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
> > each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
> > weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
> > cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.
>
> Agree. My m cups are scoops.

HEY ! ! You know these days, the fashionable women don't even need cups, hair-do's or even a rear-end at all. Then, they strangely whine about how terrible men treat them. Very strange. Oh, well.

Re: Converting to metric

<XInXK.660193$BKL8.632051@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222317&group=rec.food.cooking#222317

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:23:35 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:23 UTC

On 2022-09-23, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-09-23 11:41 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On 2022-09-23 7:14 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>>> On 23/09/2022 13:44, Graham wrote:
>
>>> I prefer not to, but some of them are worth playing around with until
>>> I get the weights right.
>>>
>> I made blackcurrant jam yesterday from pulp I had stored in the freezer.
>> I found a BBC recipe that used weights to get the sugar content correct.
>> Incidentally, for the first batch, rather than the using the wrinkle
>> test on a spoonful to determine the setting point, I used temperature.
>> However, I used 105C, which is fine at sea level and so I ended up with
>> somewhat gummy jam. The next batch I compensated for altitude and used
>> 101C and it is perfect.
>> I'll use that temperature today when I make redcurrant jelly.
>

> I am envious. I love black currant jam. My mother used to make a lot of
> it every year and always gave me lots of it. I planted several black
> currant bushes and made it myself with the currants I harvested, but the
> bushes died off, another victim of the black walnut trees back there. I
> I transplanted a couple of the survivors, though they had not fruited
> for a couple years. Nothing this year.
>
> Gary posted earlier about not liking having to butter his own toast in a
> restaurant. I like the English style of doing toast, letting it cool and
> dry and then smearing it with cold butter and a good glob of black
> currant jam or some Seville marmalade.

Must be an American thing. For me, the very best toast is buttered hot
with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Master-90021-Stainless-Butter-Spreader/dp/B01GQDGCHO

A little silly for home use, though. I make do with hot toast and soft
butter.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Converting to metric

<f8cc556e-7ab2-43e9-8991-c74c2c0991f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222402&group=rec.food.cooking#222402

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 02:23 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:14:21 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
> > After I've added all the dry ingredients, I press 'tare', which zeroes
> > the scale, then add the liquid directly to the mixing bowl, stopping
> > when it reaches the correct weight. No measuring cup needed at all.
> genius! my scale won't do that and it's hinky beyond
> belief. i'd never use it like that. :( i dropped it
> once and the stuff inside broke loose, so in order to
> use it i have to zero it each time and hope i don't
> jiggle something in between.
> > I do have measuring cups in my cupboard - US, Imperial, and metric - and
> > I use them the first time I try a recipe written in cups, but I weigh
> > each item and make a note of it for future use, so that I can simply
> > weigh the ingredients and not bother with dragging out a selection of
> > cups, cluttering my workspace, and adding to my cleanup time.
> i'd prefer metric for everything but Mom would have a
> caniption.

Once you convert to metric, using cups and ounces is apostasy.

> songbird

--Bryan

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Converting to metric