Reality always seems harsher in the early morning.

interests / rec.food.cooking / OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

SubjectAuthor
* OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyGary
+* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyDave Smith
|`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyjmcquown
| +- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyDave Smith
| `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
|  `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyheyjoe
+* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMike Duffy
|`- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyGary
+- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
 +* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelydsi1
 |+* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
 ||+- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyEd Pawlowski
 ||+* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelydsi1
 |||+- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyHank Rogers
 |||`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
 ||| `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelydsi1
 ||`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyHank Rogers
 || `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBryan Simmons
 |`- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyHank Rogers
 `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
  +- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBruce
  +* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBryan Simmons
  |`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyGary
  | `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBryan Simmons
  `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
   +* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBryan Simmons
   |`* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyMichael Trew
   | `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBryan Simmons
   |  `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyLeonard Blaisdell
   |   +- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyDave Smith
   |   `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyjmcquown
   `* Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyHank Rogers
    `- Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet latelyBruce

Pages:12
OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<tgmnl4$2v5d9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222459&group=rec.food.cooking#222459

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:54:29 -0400
 by: Gary - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:54 UTC

Any ideas here from computer/internet savvy people?

I use Thunderbird to read and write and use
Eternal September for access.

I download all new messages at once, then start reading
and responding to some. I've been doing this for many years
now with little or no problem. ET has rarely gone down.

Problem lately: (just in the past 6 days)
Still no problem downloading new messages any time I check.

The problem is with sending responses. Sending fails for up to
several hours each morning. I check once in awhile, and eventually
it will start working again and I send all my saved responses
at that time. A little while later, it will stop sending again
but will work again later.

WTH?

Since this just started last week, I assumed that
Eternal September was having problems with their
outgoing server. Maybe they are but it's been many days
now.

Now I'm wondering if maybe my Thunderbird copy is the problem.
I did do a Thunderbird update last week about the same time
as the problem started. Or I might have updated it hoping that
would fix this problem.

Now I'm wondering if my Thunderbird program is messed up and
maybe I should uninstall and download a fresh copy.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
(first try sending this at 5:08 Eastern)

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<oRDXK.177732$IRd5.124859@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222483&group=rec.food.cooking#222483

Subject: Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:44:50 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:44 UTC

On 2022-09-24 6:54 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Any ideas here from computer/internet savvy people?
>
> I use Thunderbird to read and write and use
> Eternal September for access.
>
> I download all new messages at once, then start reading
> and responding to some. I've been doing this for many years
> now with little or no problem. ET has rarely gone down.
>
> Problem lately: (just in the past 6 days)
> Still no problem downloading new messages any time I check.
>
> The problem is with sending responses. Sending fails for up to
> several hours each morning. I check once in awhile, and eventually
> it will start working again and I send all my saved responses
> at that time. A little while later, it will stop sending again
> but will work again later.
>
> WTH?
>
> Since this just started last week, I assumed that
> Eternal September was having problems with their
> outgoing server. Maybe they are but it's been many days
> now.
>
> Now I'm wondering if maybe my Thunderbird copy is the problem.
> I did do a Thunderbird update last week about the same time
> as the problem started. Or I might have updated it hoping that
> would fix this problem.
>
> Now I'm wondering if my Thunderbird program is messed up and
> maybe I should uninstall and download a fresh copy.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!  :)
>  (first try sending this at 5:08 Eastern)

I get an occasional fail. The last time Thunderbird updated it replaced
my old TB and I had to start from scratch. I lost all my email contacts,
server information, kill files and had to start from scratch.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<PVDXK.492247$Ny99.127594@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222484&group=rec.food.cooking#222484

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:49:35 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:49 UTC

On 2022-09-24, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:

> Any ideas here from computer/internet savvy people?
>
> I use [...] Eternal September for access.
>
> Since this just started last week, I assumed that
> Eternal September was having problems

I think you already know how to fix your service.

I broke down and switched to 'blocknews'
a few weeks ago. The ES problem for me
was exactly as you describe.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<tgn2ll$301jf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222488&group=rec.food.cooking#222488

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:02:21 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:02 UTC

On 9/24/2022 9:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-24 6:54 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Any ideas here from computer/internet savvy people?
>>
>> I use Thunderbird to read and write and use
>> Eternal September for access.
>>
>> I download all new messages at once, then start reading
>> and responding to some. I've been doing this for many years
>> now with little or no problem. ET has rarely gone down.
>>
>> Problem lately: (just in the past 6 days)
>> Still no problem downloading new messages any time I check.
>>
>> The problem is with sending responses. Sending fails for up to
>> several hours each morning. I check once in awhile, and eventually
>> it will start working again and I send all my saved responses
>> at that time. A little while later, it will stop sending again
>> but will work again later.
>>
>> WTH?
>>
>> Since this just started last week, I assumed that
>> Eternal September was having problems with their
>> outgoing server. Maybe they are but it's been many days
>> now.
>>
>> Now I'm wondering if maybe my Thunderbird copy is the problem.
>> I did do a Thunderbird update last week about the same time
>> as the problem started. Or I might have updated it hoping that
>> would fix this problem.
>>
>> Now I'm wondering if my Thunderbird program is messed up and
>> maybe I should uninstall and download a fresh copy.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!  :)
>>   (first try sending this at 5:08 Eastern)
>>

> I get an occasional fail. The last time Thunderbird updated it replaced
> my old TB and I had to start from scratch. I lost all my email contacts,
> server information, kill files and had to start from scratch.

While you didn't say so, I never allow Thunderbird to do automatic
updates. Something always gets screwed up when an update is installed.

Having said that, I did a fresh install a few months ago and it didn't
mess up my email contacts but the killfiles were slightly affected.

Jill

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<QfEXK.194191$elEa.55870@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222490&group=rec.food.cooking#222490

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:13:03 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:13 UTC

On 2022-09-24 10:02 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 9:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I get an occasional fail. The last time Thunderbird updated it
>> replaced my old TB and I had to start from scratch. I lost all my
>> email contacts, server information, kill files and had to start from
>> scratch.
>>
> While you didn't say so, I never allow Thunderbird to do automatic
> updates.  Something always gets screwed up when an update is installed.

I don't usually let it do updates. Past experience is that it screws
things up. For instance, one update would not let me move the Reply
button, so I frequently his Reply instead of Followup.

> Having said that, I did a fresh install a few months ago and it didn't
> mess up my email contacts but the killfiles were slightly affected.

I had done a number of upgrades in the past and, other than the above
mentioned problem, they all went well. That last one was pain in the
butt. Lately it has been after me every day to upgrade and I keep
declining.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<L8KXK.218624$9Yp5.209878@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222553&group=rec.food.cooking#222553

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:55:13 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:55 UTC

On 9/24/2022 6:54, Gary wrote:
> Any ideas here from computer/internet savvy people?
>
> I use Thunderbird to read and write and use
> Eternal September for access.
>
> Problem lately: (just in the past 6 days)
> Still no problem downloading new messages any time I check.
>
> The problem is with sending responses. Sending fails for up to
> several hours each morning.
>
> Now I'm wondering if maybe my Thunderbird copy is the problem.

Some here have said that they have to occasionally wipe Thunderbird and
start over.

I had several problems with ES on and off. It was easier to just spend
the $5 on a Block-News account. The bandwidth that they give you for $5
is far more powerful and more up-time than free ES. I haven't had an
issue with sending/receiving messages or anything slow since then; I'd
highly recommend it. Works fine with Thunderbird.

This 25 GB block will be a life-time supply of bandwidth for text-only
Usenet: https://billing.blocknews.net/signup.php

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<N9KXK.218625$9Yp5.132802@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222555&group=rec.food.cooking#222555

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:56:20 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:56 UTC

On 9/24/2022 7:46, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:54:34 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Now I'm wondering if my Thunderbird program is messed up and maybe
>> I should uninstall and download a fresh copy.
>
> Using these clunky old Usenet interfaces is like crank - starting a
> Model T, as opposed to pushing a button on a remote c. 2022 car
> starter...

It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
features and interface.

Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<acKXK.218626$9Yp5.207721@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222557&group=rec.food.cooking#222557

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:58:53 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:58 UTC

On 9/24/2022 10:02, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 9:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I get an occasional fail. The last time Thunderbird updated it
>> replaced my old TB and I had to start from scratch. I lost all my
>> email contacts, server information, kill files and had to start from
>> scratch.
>>
> While you didn't say so, I never allow Thunderbird to do automatic
> updates. Something always gets screwed up when an update is installed.
>
> Having said that, I did a fresh install a few months ago and it didn't
> mess up my email contacts but the killfiles were slightly affected.
>
> Jill

I have version 3.1.20 of Thunderbird, from circa 2012. It works great,
a decade plus later. There's no way that you could convince me to
update it and risk bugs and issues.

I have a full installer package for my version of Thunderbird saved on
my computer, in case I ever had to copy and install it elsewhere. I'd
be willing to mail it to anyone on a CD or USB drive if you pay a few
bucks for the postage and media.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<dafac00f-f875-40b3-a346-6d6ced7d2da0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222565&group=rec.food.cooking#222565

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:15 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 7:46, GM wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:54:34 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> Now I'm wondering if my Thunderbird program is messed up and maybe
> >> I should uninstall and download a fresh copy.
> >
> > Using these clunky old Usenet interfaces is like crank - starting a
> > Model T, as opposed to pushing a button on a remote c. 2022 car
> > starter...
> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
> features and interface.
>
> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.

What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out quoting. That's a very beautiful thing.
T-bird has a awesome set of boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know how to use them.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<RGKXK.218636$9Yp5.122270@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222570&group=rec.food.cooking#222570

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:31:36 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:31 UTC

On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
> wrote:
>> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
>> features and interface.
>>
>> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.
>
> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
> Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
> download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
> the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
> reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior
> because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
> quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
> boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
> many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know
> how to use them.

Didn't you use them for years? The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
that. Either interface can be clunky in it's own way. There are
superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
and free. I don't like any web interface. I've always found them to be
glitchy. I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all. I'm comfortable
with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
e-mails for a decade or more.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<dTKXK.232464$PRW4.136084@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222577&group=rec.food.cooking#222577

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:44:39 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:44 UTC

On 9/24/2022 5:31 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
>> wrote:
>>> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
>>> features and interface.
>>>
>>> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.
>>
>> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
>> Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
>> download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
>> the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
>> reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior
>> because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
>> quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
>> boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
>> many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know
>> how to use them.
>
> Didn't you use them for years?  The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
> that.  Either interface can be clunky in it's own way.  There are
> superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
> and free.  I don't like any web interface.  I've always found them to be
> glitchy.  I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
> archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all.  I'm comfortable
> with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
> e-mails for a decade or more.

I just checked my Blocknews account. I bought 10G for $4.50 when I
signed up six years ago. Given my usage to date (1.8), I will have to
buy more space in 27 years. I hope they send me a reminder as I'll be
103 and may forget.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<4253250b-0f82-4c02-bcc7-c0dff03d6489n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222578&group=rec.food.cooking#222578

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:48:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:48 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 11:31:36 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
> > wrote:
> >> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
> >> features and interface.
> >>
> >> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.
> >
> > What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
> > Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
> > download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
> > the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
> > reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior
> > because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
> > quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
> > boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
> > many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know
> > how to use them.
> Didn't you use them for years? The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
> that. Either interface can be clunky in it's own way. There are
> superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
> and free. I don't like any web interface. I've always found them to be
> glitchy. I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
> archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all. I'm comfortable
> with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
> e-mails for a decade or more.

I used Thunderbird pretty much as soon as it was released almost 20 years ago. It was great and I loved it. The same with Firefox. These were great products - but they don't fit in a world of lightweight, low-power, handheld/portable, devices always connected to the internet.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<sZKXK.686478$BKL8.594172@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222579&group=rec.food.cooking#222579

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:51:14 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:51 UTC

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Using these clunky old Usenet interfaces is like crank - starting a
>>> Model T, as opposed to pushing a button on a remote c. 2022 car
>>> starter...
>> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
>> features and interface.
>>
>> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.
>
> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out quoting. That's a very beautiful thing.
> T-bird has a awesome set of boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know how to use them.

Tojo, Google always wins, It is truly the finest shit in da
universe. It's Popeye grade stuff.

And, yes, tojo, people here are not as smart as yoose, and don't
know shit.

Tell us more about yoose guesses for the future.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<3DLXK.194772$elEa.89240@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222587&group=rec.food.cooking#222587

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:35:36 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:35 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
>> wrote:
>>> It can be, but not as clunky as using Google Groups with inferior
>>> features and interface.
>>>
>>> Also, Model-T's are pretty cool.
>>
>> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
>> Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
>> download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
>> the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
>> reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is
>> superior
>> because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
>> quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
>> boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
>> many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't
>> know
>> how to use them.
>
> Didn't you use them for years?  The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
> that.  Either interface can be clunky in it's own way.  There are
> superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
> and free.  I don't like any web interface.  I've always found them
> to be
> glitchy.  I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
> archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all.  I'm comfortable
> with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
> e-mails for a decade or more.

Yabbut yoose forgot the most important thing. With google, yoose
can see the future. Yoose will be like a swami guy. Yoose can even
wrap a dish towel around yoose head, light a candle, have a seance
and pontificate on RFC.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<dGLXK.218639$9Yp5.179783@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222588&group=rec.food.cooking#222588

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:39:00 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:39 UTC

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 11:31:36 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:

>>> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
>>> Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
>>> download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
>>> the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
>>> reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is superior
>>> because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
>>> quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
>>> boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
>>> many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't know
>>> how to use them.
>> Didn't you use them for years? The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
>> that. Either interface can be clunky in it's own way. There are
>> superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
>> and free. I don't like any web interface. I've always found them to be
>> glitchy. I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
>> archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all. I'm comfortable
>> with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
>> e-mails for a decade or more.
>
> I used Thunderbird pretty much as soon as it was released almost 20 years ago. It was great and I loved it. The same with Firefox. These were great products - but they don't fit in a world of lightweight, low-power, handheld/portable, devices always connected to the internet.

Google has the finest shit in the universe, Tojo. Everyone knows
dat, even da hawaians.

Yoose preaching to da quire, man.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<tgo6cu$33faq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222623&group=rec.food.cooking#222623

From: addr...@is.invalid (heyjoe)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 00:12:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: heyjoe - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 00:12 UTC

Michael Trew wrote :

> I have a full installer package for my version of Thunderbird saved on
> my computer, in case I ever had to copy and install it elsewhere. I'd
> be willing to mail it to anyone on a CD or USB drive if you pay a few
> bucks for the postage and media.

That version (and others) are still available from Mozilla.
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

--
Brooklyn's diet tip - Your pants will never
get too tight if you don't wear any.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<3596d681-317f-4b1b-87cb-492d863e54b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222636&group=rec.food.cooking#222636

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:25 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:35:50 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 9/24/2022 17:15, dsi1 wrote:

> >> What would those clunky features be? Compared to Thunderbird, Google
> >> Groups is fast, and sleek. If you're using dial-up and/or need to
> >> download and store messages, then T-bird or an NNTP reader would be
> >> the right choice. If you have a broadband connection, a web-based
> >> reader is a good choice. As far as the interface goes, GG is
> >> superior
> >> because it automatically opens the unread posts and trims out
> >> quoting. That's a very beautiful thing. T-bird has a awesome set of
> >> boolean filters - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, but to
> >> many rfc'ers, it is. OTOH, my guess is most people here wouldn't
> >> know
> >> how to use them.
> >
> > Didn't you use them for years? The KF is nice, and GG doesn't allow
> > that. Either interface can be clunky in it's own way. There are
> > superior newsreaders available to Thunderbird, but it's easy to set up
> > and free. I don't like any web interface. I've always found them
> > to be
> > glitchy. I can be stubborn, but I've looked at the Google Usenet
> > archives, and I'm not digging that interface at all. I'm comfortable
> > with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing I've used to send
> > e-mails for a decade or more.
> Yabbut yoose forgot the most important thing. With google, yoose
> can see the future. Yoose will be like a swami guy. Yoose can even
> wrap a dish towel around yoose head, light a candle, have a seance
> and pontificate on RFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtx4ZJ1cwI0

--Bryan

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<4ePXK.507673$Ny99.21189@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222650&group=rec.food.cooking#222650

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:42:14 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:42 UTC

On 9/24/2022 17:48, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 11:31:36 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
> wrote:
>> I'm comfortable with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing
>> I've used to send e-mails for a decade or more.
>
> I used Thunderbird pretty much as soon as it was released almost 20
> years ago. It was great and I loved it. The same with Firefox. These
> were great products - but they don't fit in a world of lightweight,
> low-power, handheld/portable, devices always connected to the
> internet.

That's just fine, because *I* don't fit into that world, either. I
prefer my internet connection to come later, and have no correlation to
the main function of my device. They'll drag me into cloud computing
kicking and screaming.

I've heard that with Windows 11, there's something about not being able
to log in or set up the computer without an internet connection. I'll
pass on that mess.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<EgPXK.507674$Ny99.455121@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222651&group=rec.food.cooking#222651

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:44:58 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:44 UTC

On 9/24/2022 17:51, GM wrote:

> But when I'm away from home I can have some cheep laffs when I access GG on
> my phone or wherever...
>
> Thursday night I was on my way home, on a long commute via L train from a day in downtown
> Chicago... checking rfc posts on GG on my phone gave me some chuckles, I was the
> smiling - est person on the train...

Eh, I've got a computer at home, I don't need one in my hand.

A 90 minute trip is a real bummer. Go get yer'self a car, Greg! To
think that I sometimes complain about my 45 minute drive to work.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<jp9ulsF32j7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222656&group=rec.food.cooking#222656

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:02:18 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 03:02 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:44:58 -0400, Michael Trew
<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/24/2022 17:51, GM wrote:
>>
>> But when I'm away from home I can have some cheep laffs when I access GG on
>> my phone or wherever...
>>
>> Thursday night I was on my way home, on a long commute via L train from a day in downtown
>> Chicago... checking rfc posts on GG on my phone gave me some chuckles, I was the
>> smiling - est person on the train...

You're welcome, Greg.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<a632c5df-e7f3-4e1b-ba6f-c94ba1f689dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222669&group=rec.food.cooking#222669

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:39 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 4:42:15 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 17:48, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 11:31:36 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew
> > wrote:
> >> I'm comfortable with using my e-mail/newsclient; the same thing
> >> I've used to send e-mails for a decade or more.
> >
> > I used Thunderbird pretty much as soon as it was released almost 20
> > years ago. It was great and I loved it. The same with Firefox. These
> > were great products - but they don't fit in a world of lightweight,
> > low-power, handheld/portable, devices always connected to the
> > internet.
> That's just fine, because *I* don't fit into that world, either. I
> prefer my internet connection to come later, and have no correlation to
> the main function of my device. They'll drag me into cloud computing
> kicking and screaming.
>
> I've heard that with Windows 11, there's something about not being able
> to log in or set up the computer without an internet connection. I'll
> pass on that mess.

Windows XP was the first Windows that required that you activate your copy of Windows online or by phoning in. That created quite a bit of pushback back in 2001. If you replaced your motherboard or hard drive, you'd have to get another activation key. Those were dark days.
My guess is that 500 years from now, people will still be having to activate/validate/pay for their copy of Windows. If we're lucky, the robots will have killed off all humans, thus putting us out of our misery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysHJHqG2gEnZLkQF7

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<d601f22b-85f2-488f-ba97-f35bb2c2de3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222673&group=rec.food.cooking#222673

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:57:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:57 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:22:41 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:44:59 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 9/24/2022 17:51, GM wrote:
> > >
> > > But when I'm away from home I can have some cheep laffs when I access GG on
> > > my phone or wherever...
> > >
> > > Thursday night I was on my way home, on a long commute via L train from a day in downtown
> > > Chicago... checking rfc posts on GG on my phone gave me some chuckles, I was the
> > > smiling - est person on the train...
> > Eh, I've got a computer at home, I don't need one in my hand.
> >
> > A 90 minute trip is a real bummer. Go get yer'self a car, Greg! To
> > think that I sometimes complain about my 45 minute drive to work.
> I was downtown (to Pilsen, actually) for a one - day training, will not be going again for the foreseeable future...
>
> The train is seamless, express train to the Loop, transfer to another train using the same platform. Plenty of empty seats, so it is a decent ride, but at three hours per day of commuting I am too old, lol... get up at 5:30, get back home at 6:30...
>
> I like that office, fun peeps, and great Mexican food in Pilsen, but too far away...

One of the chapters of my book is called "A Pink Line to
Burritos." The chapter concludes thusly.
**********
By the time they'd finished and showered, it was nearly
eleven o'clock, and Ian had announced that he was finally
going to get his burrito. They checked out, and slowly
ambled to the El station. When Winter heard that they
were taking the Pink train, she said, “Of course.”
..
“What?” asked Ian. “It's the one that goes there.”
..
“It would be. You know, I managed to get us a room for
the way home.”
..
“Right now, I'm thinking about burritos.”
..
Winter gave his arm a slight shove, “You know what, Ian?
I actually believe you.”
**********

--Bryan

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<tgpha1$3anms$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222704&group=rec.food.cooking#222704

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:24:33 -0400
 by: Gary - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:24 UTC

On 9/25/2022 4:57 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 10:22:41 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

>>> Eh, I've got a computer at home, I don't need one in my hand.
>>>
>>> A 90 minute trip is a real bummer. Go get yer'self a car, Greg! To
>>> think that I sometimes complain about my 45 minute drive to work.
>> I was downtown (to Pilsen, actually) for a one - day training, will not be going again for the foreseeable future...
>>
>> The train is seamless, express train to the Loop, transfer to another train using the same platform. Plenty of empty seats, so it is a decent ride, but at three hours per day of commuting I am too old, lol... get up at 5:30, get back home at 6:30...
>>
>> I like that office, fun peeps, and great Mexican food in Pilsen, but too far away...
>>
> One of the chapters of my book is called "A Pink Line to
> Burritos." The chapter concludes thusly.
> **********
(snip)
Here we go again.

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<2c5YK.186603$IRd5.127153@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222841&group=rec.food.cooking#222841

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:08:45 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 23:08 UTC

On 9/24/2022 23:22, GM wrote:

> As far as crime goes, Illannoy goes to a "no cash bail" system on
> January 1st - GET READY...

Have you watched the move "O Brother, where art thou?

"In the big rock candy mountains, the jails are made of tin... and you
can walk right out again, as soon as you are in..."

I didn't realize that they were singing about Chicago ;)

Unlike Frank Sinatra, Chicago is not "my kind of town". You outta move
out to the 'burbs when you retire (...or across the border into Indiana).

Re: OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately

<62455ae0-8f49-4741-8d52-360e90d69129n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222843&group=rec.food.cooking#222843

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 23:11 UTC

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 7:24:39 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 9/25/2022 4:57 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I was downtown (to Pilsen, actually) for a one - day training, will not be going again for the foreseeable future...
> >>
> >> The train is seamless, express train to the Loop, transfer to another train using the same platform. Plenty of empty seats, so it is a decent ride, but at three hours per day of commuting I am too old, lol... get up at 5:30, get back home at 6:30...
> >>
> >> I like that office, fun peeps, and great Mexican food in Pilsen, but too far away...
> >>
> > One of the chapters of my book is called "A Pink Line to
> > Burritos." The chapter concludes thusly.
> (snip)
> Here we go again.

You have a problem with burritos?

--Bryan

interests / rec.food.cooking / OT: problem sending messages to Usenet lately