Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. -- Aleister Crowley

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)suzeeq
  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
  | +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)suzeeq
  | |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
  | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Adam H. Kerman
  | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Adam H. Kerman
  |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
  ||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Adam H. Kerman
  ||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
  |||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)shawn
  ||| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
  |||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)shawn
  |||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
  ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
  |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
  ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Adam H. Kerman
  || `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)shawn
  | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Adam H. Kerman
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<UBI20240417@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222463&group=rec.arts.tv#222463

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

After returning home, I watched:

DISNEY *NUKE* THEIR LAST HOPE - BOB IGER VS NELSON PELTZ:
Disney has engaged in a board battle with Disney CEO Bob Iger Vs investor
Nelson Peltz. While the Disney+ streaming giant has been releasing Marvel
movies and Star Wars series like the Acolyte, an investor takeover for 2
board seats has been ongoing in Disney. The Disney board tried to resist
this, but could the new people and ideas save the Disney company? Does Bob
Iger know what's best for Disney? Will Star Wars the Acolyte be worth
watching without him?
https://youtu.be/fR8rDGkjVjs?si=q_TuPGbfirqOOZhA

CIVIL WAR CRITICS REVIEWS *INSANE* RANTS HATE NOT BEING PANDERED TOO:
Civil War reviews are out for the critics of this 2024 Alex Garland movie.
While many reviews spoke about lack of plot or charactisation, they enjoyed
the American setting, just thinking that it didn't go far enough. Civil War
2024 is a movie released at an interesting time, one that some critics think
we already live in. Is Civil War worth watching at the cinema?

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE IS NOT FUNNY | JOE ROGAN & NEAL BRENNAN:
https://youtu.be/QL0A2LMwCaQ?si=bu_MqPuWvaRppGI9

THE "EVIDENCE" FOR BIGFOOT:
I keep coming across Bigfoot believers who suggest a slew of evidence out
there for the hairy boy himself... so I'm going hunting. For evidence! I'm
not going to slay a Bigfoot.
https://youtu.be/ko-DdN85mCM?si=Dy6dVtFL0G3RUcKo

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Line in the Sand". Lala hosts a water-tasting event; Schwartz confronts
Katie for her recent hookup; Ariana takes Sandoval to task for an
irresponsible mishap; tensions boil over when Tom and Ariana clash about
long-simmering resentments.
Arrianna needs to quit being such a raving screaming bitch. I doubly resent
her making me side with Sandoval.

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"May the Best Woman Win". Ariana finally breaks down over the end of her
relationship with Tom; Katie and Schwartz vie for the affection of the same
woman.
It's about freaking time, Arianna! I don't remember much else, but the
three-some with Katie, Schwartz, and Cori(?) seems a bit contrived. I don't
know, Jo and Schwartz seem like a cute couple.

VANDEPUMP RULES:
"How'd You Like Them Apples?". A podcast rehashing the past sends everyone
spiraling; Scheana releases a new song; Lala takes the next step toward
expanding her family; Ally and James have a tough conversation; Scheana and
Sandoval clash over a perceived betrayal.

Oh no! Everyone's upset about what Rachel said about Sandoval!

Nice to see Schemer is still trying to milk "Good as Gold" for all its worth.
Who the hell was that cover band making the video? At least she wasn't
twerking in her bedroom on top of her bed this time! So, she made a new song
and for some reason thought it was clever to put a Rachel reference in it?

The less said about LaLa's "Jizz party", the better. Even bawdy Lisa
Vanderbucks seemed appalled. Why does everyone assume they can hold their
parties at her house? It seemed a bit presumptive for LaLa to have already
arranged for everything before asking.

I think there was more but I cannot be bothered.

So Ann was fired? To be honest, their house didn't look much less dirty to
me, but I did enjoy all the footage of their habitation looking like a
pigsty. Leave it to Sandoval to hire a male assistant who looks like him! lol

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvofbt$1jj8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222477&group=rec.arts.tv#222477

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:29:49 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:29 UTC

On 4/17/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

Not much:

soaps: GH - Mon's ep. Not much actually happened. Carly and Jason talked
- she is "*over*" Sonny (let's hope she means it this time!). Nina
talked with Ava about selling the hotel to Jason, and Ava betrayed her
by letting Nina think that Sonny would approve of the sale (it's the
opposite!!). There was a pointless convo between Anna and Jagger. And
Lucy tanks on the QVC-like show hosted by Morgan Fairchild so badly that
they have to call Sasha back in the save the day - Maxie needs to grow a
pair and get rid of Lucy!
DOOL - Tues' ep. Chanel is missing (I'm still convinced that it'll
be due to Clyde Weston); I think Paulina is going to try to break out of
captivity (i.e. isolation) to go looking for her. Chad and Xander, as
"press", confront EJ after the press conference; then they are all
stunned when Stefan shows up after having been released for time served.
Then Nicole yells at Stefan for nearly getting Holly killed, and later
Stefan continues to (righteously!) coerce EJ! Ava and Harris plan to try
to capture Clyde, but I bet he is one step ahead of them.

And that was pretty much it. Otherwise I had LMN on in the background
while I did grading.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvokrg$1l08t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222490&group=rec.arts.tv#222490

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:02:53 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:02 UTC

On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 4/17/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Not much:
>
> soaps: GH - Mon's ep. Not much actually happened. Carly and Jason talked
> - she is "*over*" Sonny (let's hope she means it this time!). Nina
> talked with Ava about selling the hotel to Jason, and Ava betrayed her
> by letting Nina think that Sonny would approve of the sale (it's the
> opposite!!). There was a pointless convo between Anna and Jagger. And
> Lucy tanks on the QVC-like show hosted by Morgan Fairchild so badly that
> they have to call Sasha back in the save the day - Maxie needs to grow a
> pair and get rid of Lucy!
>    DOOL - Tues' ep. Chanel is missing (I'm still convinced that it'll
> be due to Clyde Weston); I think Paulina is going to try to break out of
> captivity (i.e. isolation) to go looking for her. Chad and Xander, as
> "press", confront EJ after the press conference; then they are all
> stunned when Stefan shows up after having been released for time served.
> Then Nicole yells at Stefan for nearly getting Holly killed, and later
> Stefan continues to (righteously!) coerce EJ! Ava and Harris plan to try
> to capture Clyde, but I bet he is one step ahead of them.
>
> And that was pretty much it. Otherwise I had LMN on in the background
> while I did grading.
>
> What did you watch?

Fallout - I binged through the next three episode, "The Ghouls," "The
Past," and "The Trap." There definitely seemed to be some movement in
these three episodes as many questions were raised about what is really
happening. No answers! But many questions! The thought just occurred
to me, but with Michael Emerson in the series has this become Lost 2.0?
A couple of times I began to seriously question if the series is
actually taking place 200 years after a nuclear war. Then someone
referenced The Ghoul (Walton Goggins) is actually over 200 years old, so
I guess it is. I'm just waiting on the explanation on the other person
who he knew personally, who is also walking around and isn't a Ghoul.
There were so many lines and hints that implied the Vault dwellers are
being lied to about the timeline. Maybe not about the 200 years later,
but they are absolutely being lied to and manipulated about the truth.
We just don't know what the "truth" is yet. Other than the obvious
jumping starting society since society clearly jump started without
them. Anyway, just two more episodes to go.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvolvq$1l3q6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222491&group=rec.arts.tv#222491

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:22:51 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:22 UTC

On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> What did you watch?

After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour in
the morning in the evening I watched...

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.

Super Trivia!

Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.

Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.

The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
Dragon.

The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.

The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.

The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
for Marvel Studios.

The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.

Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvom4t$1l3q6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222493&group=rec.arts.tv#222493

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:25:34 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:25 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:02 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 4/17/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Not much:
>>
>> soaps: GH - Mon's ep. Not much actually happened. Carly and Jason
>> talked - she is "*over*" Sonny (let's hope she means it this time!).
>> Nina talked with Ava about selling the hotel to Jason, and Ava
>> betrayed her by letting Nina think that Sonny would approve of the
>> sale (it's the opposite!!). There was a pointless convo between Anna
>> and Jagger. And Lucy tanks on the QVC-like show hosted by Morgan
>> Fairchild so badly that they have to call Sasha back in the save the
>> day - Maxie needs to grow a pair and get rid of Lucy!
>>     DOOL - Tues' ep. Chanel is missing (I'm still convinced that it'll
>> be due to Clyde Weston); I think Paulina is going to try to break out
>> of captivity (i.e. isolation) to go looking for her. Chad and Xander,
>> as "press", confront EJ after the press conference; then they are all
>> stunned when Stefan shows up after having been released for time
>> served. Then Nicole yells at Stefan for nearly getting Holly killed,
>> and later Stefan continues to (righteously!) coerce EJ! Ava and Harris
>> plan to try to capture Clyde, but I bet he is one step ahead of them.
>>
>> And that was pretty much it. Otherwise I had LMN on in the background
>> while I did grading.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>

> Fallout - I binged through the next three episode, "The Ghouls," "The
> Past," and "The Trap."  There definitely seemed to be some movement in
> these three episodes as many questions were raised about what is really
> happening.  No answers!  But many questions!  The thought just occurred
> to me, but with Michael Emerson in the series has this become Lost 2.0?
> A couple of times I began to seriously question if the series is
> actually taking place 200 years after a nuclear war.  Then someone
> referenced The Ghoul (Walton Goggins) is actually over 200 years old, so
> I guess it is.  I'm just waiting on the explanation on the other person
> who he knew personally, who is also walking around and isn't a Ghoul.
> There were so many lines and hints that implied the Vault dwellers are
> being lied to about the timeline.  Maybe not about the 200 years later,
> but they are absolutely being lied to and manipulated about the truth.
> We just don't know what the "truth" is yet.  Other than the obvious
> jumping starting society since society clearly jump started without
> them.  Anyway, just two more episodes to go.

There was something the Vault dwellers were being lied to about in the
games, that may be getting hinted at in the show. Let me know if you
want to know what that was.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvoo1j$2c42$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222500&group=rec.arts.tv#222500

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:57:55 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:57 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:22 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>
> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour in
> the morning in the evening I watched...

So how's your vision?

> Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
> "Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
> his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization."  (IMDb)
> Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>
> Super Trivia!
>
> Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
> gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
> trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
> jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>
> Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>
> The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
> Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
> Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
> martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon.
>
> The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
> appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
> Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>
> The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>
> The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>
> Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
> for Marvel Studios.
>
> The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>
> Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
> Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvorg1$1majl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222507&group=rec.arts.tv#222507

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:56:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:56 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.

>Super Trivia!

>Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.

>Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.

>The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>Dragon.

>The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.

>The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.

>The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

>Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>for Marvel Studios.

>The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.

>Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.

Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
styles when it's just going to be a special effect?

You almost tempted me.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp3c4$1o1em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222513&group=rec.arts.tv#222513

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:11:15 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:11 UTC

On 4/17/24 8:56 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>> "Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>> his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>> Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>
>> Super Trivia!
>
>> Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>> gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>> trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>> jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>
>> Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>
>> The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>> Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>> Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>> martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>> Dragon.
>
>> The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>> appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>> Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>
>> The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>
>> The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>
>> Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>> for Marvel Studios.
>
>> The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>
>> Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>> Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>
> Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
> shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
> be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
> styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>
> You almost tempted me.

I thought it was just OK.

IIRC, I was actually more engrossed by "Eternals", which may actually be
slightly underrated by this point.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp3qc$1o4jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222514&group=rec.arts.tv#222514

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:18:54 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:18 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:57 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 7:22 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour
>> in the morning in the evening I watched...
>
> So how's your vision?

Just got back from the followup exam. 20/20 now.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp3vp$1o4jd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222515&group=rec.arts.tv#222515

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:21:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:21 UTC

On 4/17/2024 8:56 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>> "Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>> his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>> Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>
>> Super Trivia!
>
>> Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>> gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>> trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>> jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>
>> Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>
>> The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>> Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>> Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>> martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>> Dragon.
>
>> The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>> appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>> Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>
>> The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>
>> The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>
>> Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>> for Marvel Studios.
>
>> The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>
>> Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>> Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>
> Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
> shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
> be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
> styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>
> You almost tempted me.

How many dragons and supernatural creatures did Chan fight? How many
wizards opening up portals to move around the world in Chan's movies?
Forests that close around moving cars? Magic arms bands battering down
cliffs?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp400$1o4rd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222516&group=rec.arts.tv#222516

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:21:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:21 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 4/17/24 8:56 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>>>"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>>>his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>>>Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.

>>>Super Trivia!

>>>Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>>>gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>>>trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>>>jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.

>>>Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.

>>>The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>>>Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>>>Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>>>martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>>>Dragon.

>>>The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>>>appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>>>Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.

>>>The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.

>>>The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

>>>Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>>>for Marvel Studios.
>>>The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.

>>>Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>>>Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.

>>Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>>shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>>be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>>styles when it's just going to be a special effect?

>>You almost tempted me.

>I thought it was just OK.

>IIRC, I was actually more engrossed by "Eternals", which may actually be
>slightly underrated by this point.

Why would I like that better? Are there merely 1699 visual effects
shots?

I like well-choreographed fight scenes. I want to see actors who have
trained to perform the fight stunts. I want to see stuntmen perform
stunts. I miss when movies were movies.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp431$2jhu$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222517&group=rec.arts.tv#222517

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:23:29 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:23 UTC

On 4/17/2024 11:18 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 7:57 AM, suzeeq wrote:

>>> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour
>>> in the morning in the evening I watched...
>>
>> So how's your vision?
>>
> Just got back from the followup exam.  20/20 now.

Great!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp43s$1o4rd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222518&group=rec.arts.tv#222518

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:23:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:23 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 4/17/2024 7:57 AM, suzeeq wrote:

>>>After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour
>>>in the morning in the evening I watched...

>>So how's your vision?
>Just got back from the followup exam. 20/20 now.

Yay!

I'll spare you links of YouTube videos I spotted over the last few days
about what opthalmologists don't tell you about artificial lenses. It's
exactly like Google follows me everywhere and knows what I read on line.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp482$1o4rd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222519&group=rec.arts.tv#222519

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:26:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:26 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 4/17/2024 8:56 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>>>"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>>>his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>>>Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.

>>>Super Trivia!

>>>Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>>>gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>>>trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>>>jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.

>>>Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.

>>>The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>>>Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>>>Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>>>martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>>>Dragon.

>>>The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>>>appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>>>Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.

>>>The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.

>>>The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

>>>Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>>>for Marvel Studios.

>>>The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.

>>>Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>>>Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.

>>Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>>shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>>be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>>styles when it's just going to be a special effect?

>>You almost tempted me.

>How many dragons and supernatural creatures did Chan fight? How many
>wizards opening up portals to move around the world in Chan's movies?
>Forests that close around moving cars? Magic arms bands battering down
>cliffs?

Usually, he fought the same stunt men from the previous movie.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<1549458635.735071780.963733.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222520&group=rec.arts.tv#222520

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:39:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:39 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 7:57 AM, suzeeq wrote:

>>> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour
>>> in the morning in the evening I watched...
>>
>> So how's your vision?
>>
> Just got back from the followup exam. 20/20 now.

Frosty legumes!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<1364574923.735071829.906605.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222522&group=rec.arts.tv#222522

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:39:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:39 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 4/17/24 8:56 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>>> "Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>>> his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>>> Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>>
>>> Super Trivia!
>>
>>> Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>>> gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>>> trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>>> jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>>
>>> Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>>
>>> The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>>> Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>>> Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>>> martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>>> Dragon.
>>
>>> The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>>> appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>>> Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>>
>>> The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>>
>>> The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>>
>>> Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>>> for Marvel Studios.
>>
>>> The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>>
>>> Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>>> Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>>
>> Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>> shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>> be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>> styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>>
>> You almost tempted me.
>
> I thought it was just OK.
>
> IIRC, I was actually more engrossed by "Eternals", which may actually be
> slightly underrated by this point.

No. No, it’s not. It’s a lousy movie is the best that can be said for it.
And a few are at all familiar with the source material. It’s a dreadful
movie.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<5k502jdtdq9l1hg6oufard78uoej7ruej5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222523&group=rec.arts.tv#222523

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:40:31 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:40 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:56:49 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>>"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>>his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>>Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>
>>Super Trivia!
>
>>Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>>gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>>trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>>jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>
>>Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>
>>The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>>Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>>Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>>martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>>Dragon.
>
>>The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>>appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>>Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>
>>The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.

Neither of which could do what they are most well known for today due
to the insurance costs.

>>The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>
>>Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>>for Marvel Studios.
>
>>The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>
>>Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>>Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>
>Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>
>You almost tempted me.

SHANG-CHI was an enjoyable movie. Sure it didn't have the sorts of
practical effects that Jackie Chan is known for but then few movies
today go for real life effects over CGI.

What gets me about so many fight scenes in today's movies is how they
do constant quick cuts to hide the lack of fighting ability. Jackie
Chan said it himself when talking about filming fight scenes when he
said that you need to see the punch/kick being delivered and the
follow through. So you see the guy getting punched and then him
staggering from the hit. That way you feel that it really happened
instead of a quick cut to a different angle to hide the poor skills of
the actors.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp5os$1ofpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222527&group=rec.arts.tv#222527

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:52:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:52 UTC

>On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:56:49 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
><ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
>>>"Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
>>>his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization." (IMDb)
>>>Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>>
>>>Super Trivia!
>>
>>>Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
>>>gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
>>>trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
>>>jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>>
>>>Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>>
>>>The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
>>>Hustle (2004), Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
>>>Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
>>>martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>>>Dragon.
>>
>>>The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
>>>appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
>>>Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.
>>
>>>The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>
>Neither of which could do what they are most well known for today due
>to the insurance costs.
>
>>>The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>>
>>>Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
>>>for Marvel Studios.
>>
>>>The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>>
>>>Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
>>>Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>>
>>Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>>shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>>be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>>styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>>
>>You almost tempted me.
>
>SHANG-CHI was an enjoyable movie. Sure it didn't have the sorts of
>practical effects that Jackie Chan is known for but then few movies
>today go for real life effects over CGI.
>
>What gets me about so many fight scenes in today's movies is how they
>do constant quick cuts to hide the lack of fighting ability. Jackie
>Chan said it himself when talking about filming fight scenes when he
>said that you need to see the punch/kick being delivered and the
>follow through. So you see the guy getting punched and then him
>staggering from the hit. That way you feel that it really happened
>instead of a quick cut to a different angle to hide the poor skills of
>the actors.

You're right. It's not entertaining and that may be part of the
motivation for doing them.

Quick cuts prevent the audience from seeing the action. I've been
complaining about this for years. It was the main reason I despised
Quantum of Solice (2008), intended to book-end Casino Royale (2006),
but a different director and incompatible style. The movie must have set
a record at the time for shortest average shot length during the big set
pieces. I sat there in theater, slack jawed, because I could not follow
what was going on.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<k2702j5m41c9jjg2219no0ar99l3v8n896@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222530&group=rec.arts.tv#222530

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:01:30 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:01 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:39:21 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>>> shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>>> be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>>> styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>>>
>>> You almost tempted me.
>>
>> I thought it was just OK.
>>
>> IIRC, I was actually more engrossed by "Eternals", which may actually be
>> slightly underrated by this point.
>
>No. No, it’s not. It’s a lousy movie is the best that can be said for it.
>And a few are at all familiar with the source material. It’s a dreadful
>movie.

Agreed. I don't know how anyone can think the ETERNALS is anything
other than bad. Sure, there were some interesting ideas behind the
movie but it never came together.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvp8jl$1p7ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222535&group=rec.arts.tv#222535

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:40:36 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:40 UTC

On 4/17/24 12:01 PM, shawn wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:39:21 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I thought it was just OK.
>>>
>>> IIRC, I was actually more engrossed by "Eternals", which may actually be
>>> slightly underrated by this point.
>>
>> No. No, it’s not. It’s a lousy movie is the best that can be said for it.
>> And a few are at all familiar with the source material. It’s a dreadful
>> movie.
>
> Agreed. I don't know how anyone can think the ETERNALS is anything
> other than bad. Sure, there were some interesting ideas behind the
> movie but it never came together.

It's still more entertaining than "Shang-Chi".

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<iob02j1i3m2q2ca9mek0nut9nso0apipdo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222543&group=rec.arts.tv#222543

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:21:13 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:21 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:40:36 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 4/17/24 12:01 PM, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:39:21 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

snipped text

>>> No. No, it’s not. It’s a lousy movie is the best that can be said for it.
>>> And a few are at all familiar with the source material. It’s a dreadful
>>> movie.
>>
>> Agreed. I don't know how anyone can think the ETERNALS is anything
>> other than bad. Sure, there were some interesting ideas behind the
>> movie but it never came together.
>
>It's still more entertaining than "Shang-Chi".

Congratulations on continuing to be wrong. ;)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvpei3$1qdo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222550&group=rec.arts.tv#222550

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:22:13 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:22 UTC

On 4/17/2024 11:26 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Pretend you heard it from me when you mentioned the number of effects
>>> shots. How many are there in a Jackie Chan movie fight scene? That would
>>> be none whatsoever. What's the point in learning how to fight in so many
>>> styles when it's just going to be a special effect?
>
>>> You almost tempted me.
>
>> How many dragons and supernatural creatures did Chan fight? How many
>> wizards opening up portals to move around the world in Chan's movies?
>> Forests that close around moving cars? Magic arms bands battering down
>> cliffs?
>
> Usually, he fought the same stunt men from the previous movie.

So why would he need special effects?

But as for Simu Liu learning new techniques I don't see what that has to
do with FX. _He_ still have to move like he knows how to fight before
they CGI in whatever weirdness he is fighting against.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvpsoh$1t6sf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222562&group=rec.arts.tv#222562

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:24:33 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:24 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:22 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>>
> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour in
> the morning in the evening I watched...

Does it make a duna duna duna sound when you squint? ;-)

> Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVR)
> "Shang-Chi, the master of weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront
> his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization."  (IMDb)
> Part of the Next Generation of the MCU after Infinity Stones war.
>
> Super Trivia!
>
> Simu Liu, when cast as Shang-Chi, was knowledgeable in taekwondo,
> gymnastics, and Wing Chun. For his role as the Master of Kung Fu, Liu
> trained in tai chi, wushu, Muay Thai, pencak silat, Krav Maga,
> jiu-jitsu, boxing, and street fighting.
>
> Simu Liu put on 10 lbs. of muscle to play Shang-Chi.
>
> The filmmakers cite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Kung Fu
> Hustle (2004),

I love Kung Fu Hustle movie. But I haven't watched it in forever. I
really need to watch it again.

Tai Chi Master (1993), the The Matrix (1999) series,
> Donnie Yen's "Ip Man" films and Jackie Chan films as an influence on the
> martial arts action. Michelle Yeoh starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon.
>
> The producers for the film briefly discussed the idea of Ant-Man
> appearing in the film due to both him and Shang-Chi living in San
> Francisco, but ultimately decided it would derail from the main story.

I was fully expecting Ant-man to at least be mentioned! :-/

> The bus fight is loosely inspired both by Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton.
>
> The 25th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
>
> Shang-Chi is the first superhero film with an Asian leading protagonist
> for Marvel Studios.
>
> The final film features over 1,700 visual effects shots.
>
> Although there were many opportunities in the screenplay, the Wilhelm
> Scream was not used in this film for a falling or injured character.
>

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvpsq9$1t6sf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222563&group=rec.arts.tv#222563

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:25:29 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:25 UTC

On 4/17/2024 11:23 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 11:18 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> So how's your vision?
>>>
>> Just got back from the followup exam.  20/20 now.
>>
> Great!

+1

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

<uvq2h4$220dg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222568&group=rec.arts.tv#222568

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:03:03 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:03 UTC

On 4/17/2024 6:24 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 7:22 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 5:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>> After getting my second bionic eye installed at an ungodly early hour
>> in the morning in the evening I watched...
>>

> Does it make a duna duna duna sound when you squint?  ;-)

No. That would have cost extra and insurance wasn't willing to pay for it.

dirty old man.